myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Santa Anna's and Lake Mojave
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
STEIN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about 5 years ago I sailed mojave with 35 knot winds gusting 50. I had one of the biggest jumps I've ever had and half way through the jump I got the elevator ride of my life, easily 20 plus feet and huge hang time. I'll take lake sailing anytime.

Thanks for report ezzyczar.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the "wave scene" is more hype than anything else. Not saying that the waves can't be fun, but most of the stuff at hand is rather lightweight in nature (notwithstanding rare ocassions at certain spots). Really, nothing near the kind of tight game possible in surfing. I really miss that. Getting old is hell!
nealpar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I think that the "wave scene" is more hype than anything else. Getting old is hell!

Hype??? Are you f'n kidding me??? Anybody who's "over it", never "had it" to begin with. I think your last sentence sums it up quite sufficiently. One is always as old as they feel inside.

As for the rest of the bunch who are feverishly organizing the group fag trip to Mojave as we speak, I wish them much fun. They consist MAINLY of the Cabrillo/lake Scuzabella/bay windsurfer types anyway. Need I say more? Laughing
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar wrote:
They consist MAINLY of the Cabrillo/lake Scuzabella/bay windsurfer types anyway. Need I say more? Laughing

Oooh, I resemble that comment. That hurts.

swchandler wrote:
Getting old is hell!

Having a real job is what kills me.
dabull1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Play nice! Reply with quote

Hey you guys[and gal]! Play nice... this isn't the political rant section. Now let's all hold hands around the the Lake Mojave fagfire and sing "cumbaya my NP,cumbaya." Outahere, Bull
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar wrote:
swchandler wrote:
I think that the "wave scene" is more hype than anything else. Getting old is hell!

Hype??? Are you f'n kidding me??? Anybody who's "over it", never "had it" to begin with. I think your last sentence sums it up quite sufficiently. One is always as old as they feel inside.

As for the rest of the bunch who are feverishly organizing the group fag trip to Mojave as we speak, I wish them much fun. They consist MAINLY of the Cabrillo/lake Scuzabella/bay windsurfer types anyway. Need I say more? Laughing

honey are you off your meds again? Now be a good girl and run along down to the pharmacy and get them re-newed. I know you don't notice the difference but we all do. Shocked
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one point I understand nealpar’s opinion, on one hand I can’t. I understand the “waves” are better snobbery, I just don’t understand someone from Socal preaching it. Let’s face it, Socal is not exactly a “windsurfing destination” do to high winds and great surf. If Socal windsurfing was so great, why do so many make the annual trip up to the Bay Area/Delta? Nelpar’s opinion is along the lines of a Raider football fan being a football snob. It doesn't make sense.

So I think when swchandler referred to "hype", he was talking about Socal wave sailing conditions. Good, but not too the point that you can pass up sub 4.0 lake conditions for 5.7 wave sailing.

Coachg
tsokat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather sail 5.7 in waves or any salt water for that matter than a lake, but it is all good. Roads trips and getting out and experiencing new places with friends are a couple of the things that are most fun about windsurfing. I have never been to Lake Mojave but it sounds like it would be a fun trip to take and I appreciate someonne taking the time out to post info about it.
madmax7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: thanksgiving Reply with quote

I sail all over the darn place, including ocean and waves... and thanks to info I'm looking forward to the short drive to Lake Mohave, enjoy the peace of the desert along with my windsurf (and kiting ) friends.

Might even get to enjoy some high winds with as I sip on my cerveza and tequila...(come to think of it might even have some tacos, some BBQ, maybe a turkey, hook up my satellite and do a little football viewing).

See you guys at the lake (hell as long as I get to sail that time of year I dont even care how clear the water is....).

Madmax. Twisted Evil
nealpar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
So I think when swchandler referred to "hype", he was talking about Socal wave sailing conditions. Good, but not too the point that you can pass up sub 4.0 lake conditions for 5.7 wave sailing.

Coachg

Eddyczar's faulty premise was that we, LA folk, "must want" in on the Mojave action. My response (in pursuit of exercising my 1st Amendment right) was that this LA folk certainly does not, and gave a laundry list of reasons, none of which originally arose out of any feeling of wave snobbery.

As far as the 4.0 conditions at Mojave...it's not the same as 4.0 on the ocean. The winds in the desert lakes are unbelievably gusty. Some of us just can't justify the time consuming road trip, or simply aren't jazzed about, sailing in 5-55 mph conditions.

But speaking of wave snobbery, I find it hilarious that those that diss So.Cal. conditions often "sit it out" on the bigger days here, or even put away their gear for the winter. Fact is that while we don't get the gnarly conditions of the No.Cal coast or Hawaii, there are plenty of days here that test your abilities and your grit! Or, should I say, separate the men from the sissies...or those who just feel too old.

JPbassking: DOWN BOY! Sit! Stay! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: