myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Santa Anna's and Lake Mojave
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SANTANA winds...HA! thats a good one. California history from our very own hungarian princess. And did you know that Goulash is a Russian dish served cold? Tell me another one Razz Razz Twisted Evil
dabull1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: TOO MUCH WIND HALLUCINATIONS Reply with quote

Oh,just thinking of those starry, starry nights with NP may give me a "happy dream" tonight, better go take a cold shower and a colder margarita! Also, as an added bonus, a Steve Bard Malibu fire report from Monday night... surf was up Sunday and Monday with him and two other guys at the Point all day... so much for disasters! I can just hear" Black Magic Woman" or" Soul Sacrifice" playin' on the ol'IPOD while he was shreddin those Santana waves... Aloha, Bull
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not having had the pleasure of starry, starry nights with NP Sad I did sail Lake Mohave once. It was very, very hot and very, very windy. After a 2 hour session I returned to my very, very air conditioned room at Harrahs Lauglin for a well deserved nap. Followed by dinner and a 3 hour session at the craps table. The dice were as hot as the wind at Katherine's landing.

A 3-5 ft swell with 3 guys out at the point and Santana playing in the background sounds like heaven to me.
nealpar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: TOO MUCH WIND HALLUCINATIONS Reply with quote

dabull1 wrote:
a Steve Bard Malibu fire report from Monday night... surf was up Sunday and Monday with him and two other guys at the Point all day...

That's so interesting, because I was there on Sunday, and could've sworn there were many more people in the water at both Leo and County. It only got a little less crowded later, as the air filled with smoke. Those with damaged bronchiolis from too much Santana, Wink etc... in their youth probably didn't even notice. The Monday is more believable, except for the 'all day' part. Wink

Oh, sorry Ezzyczar, what was that about the launch pad at Mojave? Laughing
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thans EzzyCzar for the info. I've always wanted to check out that place. Perhaps post a shout out next time you or a group is headed out there, and I'll try to rally some troops to check it out ourselves.

kev
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be 1st point in Malibu. I found a way into town.

I took my fiddle out while I surfed. (nero)
nealpar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stevenbard"]That would be 1st point in Malibu. I found a way into town.

quote]

U must have one helluva filter on your lungs.
WindsurfUtah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some weather links that help. Typically it will blow for 4-6 days from the north if the Santa Ana sets up. Look for high pressure to set up over northern Nevada/western Utah and cold temps.

I am not at all an expert on the weather stuff.

I might go down again the first week of Nov. Also it seems like quite a few people head there for Thanksgiving.

Josh

http://www.met.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base.cgi?stn=KIFP&time=GMT

http://www.met.utah.edu/cgi-bin/database/meso_2week.cgi?unit=0&hour1=0&type=1&var1=SKNT_DRCT&day1=25&month1=10&year1=2007&stn1=KIFP

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=VEF&llon=-115.383747&rlon=-113.618747&tlat=36.677084&blat=34.909584&smap=1&mp=0&map.x=112&map.y=194
EddyBreffitt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you pretty much camp anywhere, or are you stuck at designated sites with the hordes??
WindsurfUtah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might get hung for saying this but there are a few windsurfers that camp on six mile cove beach for a month at a time. No fees, no water, no electricity, no designated sites. Beautiful water and beach. You have to drive down a graded dirt/sand road for 10 miles. Not something you want to commute on. Great south wind, north wind works as well but you get a wind shadow from the cove.

At Katherine’s landing the camping is good. Very quiet. 99% of the campers are the retired folks heading to and from Needles. Everyone will be to bed at eight thirty. Plus Katherine's has showers, a restaurant, bathrooms, water hook ups, etc. Cabinsite point is only a two minute drive from the camp grounds. The water is so clear when you come into the shore you jump off the board thinking it is only two feet deep but it is really ten.

So as far as camping anywhere, I believe there are beaches all over the lake that allow camping, but it is a matter of getting to them. I have seen pictures of the beaches on the Arizona side of six mile, absolutely desolate. Long dirt roads to get there, but the wild donkeys will visit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: