myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Daily and extended discussions gone with Santa Ana ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrkhm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is great to be able to winter in Mexico but I sail in southern california during the winter. Why does the service stop because Mike goes south? I need more help finding the wind now than in the summer. I saw that the weather discussion is still given by iwindsurf for northern california. What gives? Why just computer guesses for us in southern california?
sharkasm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: I SMELL A RAT Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by sharkasm on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
windfind

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Northern California forecasts ending, amateur forecasts Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

The Northern California/Bay Area forecasts are ending tomorrow. We picked Northern California and Southern California sign off dates by reviewing the archives to see about which time of year for each region becomes unreliable. To extend the forecasts much beyond that date would mean paying staff to say over and over "another day with little or no wind". We also take into consideration the date when fewer and fewer customers are actually using the site. It would be great keep our staff employed all winter looking for infrequent winds but we can not afford to do so. If a region is on a roll with lots of wind we sometimes extend the forecast season. This year I think we made a good call with our timing.

mkrasnoff has a point about storm winds being much easier to forecast than summer thermals. Even the NWS forecast has some value as do the iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com model data.

socalsail's idea of having amateur weather nuts doing supplementary iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com forecasts is a good one and we have been working on a way to implement that feature. A lot of you have very site specific local weather knowledge that none of the models are aware of and that I can not factor into the forecast. So your forecasts would be another useful tool for all of us especially in the off season. Contact me at mike@iwindsurf.com if you are interested and I will keep you informed about our progress.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: