myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board repair in the Bay area ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rno310

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Board repair in the Bay area ?? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I kow this topic showed up several times already, but I need to repair the nose of my board. Helm no longer does repairs this season (they switched to ski), ASD has closed and Boardsports in Berkeley doesn't handle repairs... Does anyone have other suggestions ?

Thanks !
gerritt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New board? Or, Tap Plastics. Get some fiberglass, expoxy resin, and sanding blocks and go to work. It might be ugly, but you should be able to get it back to water tight. If its a small ding - that's what ding stick is for!
cherrywood182

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West Marine has some nice epoxy repair kits. Runs about $20 for two packets of epoxy resin plus hardener, some fibrglass cloth, instructions, small brush for layering on, and a mixing tub and gloves. You can get a small tin of topside paint for about $13. With a bit of sandpaper thrown in you can do a nice nose job for about $40. I just did a repair the first time myself this month and it was pretty easy.
faradroka1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rno310,

I had a delamination of deck above my back footstrap. I drilled holes all around the offending area and filled it with marine epoxy mixed with slow cure hardener bought at Tap Plastics. Used a large gauge syringe to push the mixture into the board. I've been out on the board twice in 30mph+ winds and so far, so good. Since the nose doesn't take weight, it should be more a matter of cosmetic rather than structural integrity. My repair looks like cr@p but it works. On noses, I generally use white marine primer after the repair has dried.

There is also a compound called Solarez (http://www.amazon.com/Solarez-Epoxy-Ding-Repair-Original/dp/B0007UC4MU)

or just stop in at Tap Plastics or West Marine. Fixing these board dings always seems hard, but if you don't have water inside the board, they aren't terribly difficult.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

read the link below

http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=12401&highlight=roberto
carl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Board repair in the Bay area ?? Reply with quote

rno310 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I kow this topic showed up several times already, but I need to repair the nose of my board. Helm no longer does repairs this season (they switched to ski), ASD has closed and Boardsports in Berkeley doesn't handle repairs... Does anyone have other suggestions ?

Thanks !

I heard that Boardsports School (the shop that took over the old ASD store at Coyote) could get boards repaired thru John or Bob. I believe they are still open on weekends.
www.boardsportsschool.com
soheilzahedi5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going the DIY route, there are some excellent pointers here:

http://boardlady.com

cheers!
s.
ctuna

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: BoardLady.com Reply with quote

The BoardLady.com You can get quality repairs from her, but its in Ventura . If you want to do it yourself there's good instructions on how at her website. Any any case its a good read for your FYI. OK its not in the Bay Area . There was a guy in Santa Cruz that does repairs for Surftech Epoxy Surfboards and did one of my boards for small fractures.
Jon Henderson
815 Almar Ave #8
Santa Cruz, CA 95065
Ph: 831-459-0411
www.epoxyboardrepair.com

Last edited by ctuna on Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
windbetty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm,

I swear I posted this the other day, but I can't seem to find the posting...

Here's an ongoing list that I have for repairs...

Boards:
-Berkeley Boardsports had a guy who did repairs. Can them at 510.THE WAVE and see if they have the name/number
-Soheil Zahedi - SF - 415.244.5379
-John Forsyte - SF - 415.365-3329
-Fat Kat Surf Shop - Fairfax - 4539167

Sails:
-Ben from Berkeley Boardsports - 510.THE.WAVE (he also does kite repair and I do not have his cell yet, but you can contact him through the shop for now.
-Sheldon Sails - Rio Vista - 707.374.3052
-Davinport Surfsail - 831.429.6051
-Halesy Lidgard Sails - San Mateo - 650.347.0795
-Spinnaker Shop - Mountain View - 650.858.1544
-Rooster Sails - Alameda - 510.523.1977

Wetsuit Repairs:
Heatwave - Santa Cruz - 831.429.6051

Please let me know if there is anyone I need to delete or add.

Thanks,
-Rebecca
Boardsports School & Shop
Alameda, San Francisco, San Mateo
madspaniard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for board repairs you can add Roberto in Emeryville 510 827 7509 and his nephew Ricardo in Oakland at 510 386 7428. Roberto did a great job with my board. As far as I know Ricardo is now shaping surfboards and also does sailboard repairs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: