myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Stop ripping on Iwindsurf
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesusjones

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Stop ripping on Iwindsurf Reply with quote

Throughout the year, I have noticed a lot of negative comments about IWindsurf. Although I am not an IWindsurf employee I feel bad for the people of IWindsurf, that I’m sure want to put out a good product. Only God himself can predict the exact outcome of the weather, other than that there’s only a real good educated guess. What Mother Nature does from there is up in the air. People make mistakes, loosen up out their and realize the facts. Let’s all be grateful for those sensors on the river. The forecasts where better before these know it alls out there started ranting about the forecasts. Most of those guys don’t have anything better to do then to start another debate to take up their in-between session time. IWindsurf don’t change for the few guy’s who think they know what to do. I liked it when you where bold and tried to be exact. At least I knew to compensate for the human input unlike some others. You used to not be afraid to say it was going to blow forty. I have not seen one of those forecasts this year and it has blown like that many times. You know it and I know it. Daily discussion? With who? None of these guys are meteorologists with radar, and all the other forecasting tools. Most of us have experience and it’s pretty damn basic in the Gorge. Warm, cold, cold fronts, highs, and lows. How is anyone supposed to know when a thunder storm will boil up? What if a big cloud decides to park over the sun for an hour at the wall? Come on people give these guy’s a break. $90 dollars for the whole year, $7.50 a month. Some of these guy’s want to piss and moan over this? Where else are you going to get all the data available for windsurfing? And for $7.50 a month. Are you frickin kidding me! Cool

Todays forecast.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.01 KB
 Viewed:  22351 Time(s)

Todays forecast.jpg

gmclean

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POTY IMHO Very Happy

George McLean
GarryW

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we pay only $95 a year but what do we really get for our money in the winter. We get a computerized forecast which I can get from NOAA for free and since I don't go to Baja or Maui for the winter, again I ask what are we getting for our money?
jesusjones

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself love IWindsurf. I think its value is worthy of $95 a year. I am not about to defend anyone at every turn, but I will say this in response to anything anyone will say about this thread. If you don’t like it you know where you can go. If you’re that broke then you better start working more instead of sitting on your rear complaining. On average $15 a month, so what? How about ski passes; lift tickets, parking permits. Do I really need to go on? Buy a dry suit or are you too much of a wimp to sail in the winter? Everything has variables, pros, and cons. Quit frickin whining!
windwing1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Props to you Jesusjones you are right on the ball with all of this. I myself would love to put my two cents in but i would go way overboard so i will just give my support.

Go iwindsurf
katosandog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself DETEST IWindsurf. I've made myIW my homepage, and every day I torture myself by seeing what I'm missing out on. I hate the way so much information about my favorite sport is at my fingertips.
srich

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so the complaint is people are compaining too much? Also it sounds like some people are not happy with how others are thinking or what they are posting on the forums. Hmmmmm

Yes I like I windsurf as well. Myself, I don't see the need for the "Gee they really screwed up" threads. However, I for one am happy with some of their changes. I like the way Iwindsurf put the forum topics at the bottom of the windspeed screen. I like the distinction between human forcast and computer forcast. Over the years I have found I have no use for the computer forcast and I don't even look at them. I think it would be great in exchange for my $95 a year if I got a human forcast later into the year. After all the real forcasts are about over for the year.

I don't really feel all that bad for the IW people. Any one who runs a business, is in sales, manages or supervises knows these kinds of complaints are human nature. weathermen get complaints all the time if they aren't 100% dead on. Human Nature. I aplaud IW for taking all this in stride and improving their site. Of course maybe I'm wrong and my job has turned me into an A-hole. So--Yeah dudes, a big high five for IW!
Terryg11

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're happy with their forecasting quality, prices, and so on, well, that's great for you.

But, for me, I found their forecasts to be so laughably bad that I discontinued my membership around three months ago and I haven't looked back. I also didn't like paying for a whole year, and getting nothing -- even the bad human forecasts -- for half of it. In Baja--no real sensors, no human forecasts at all; other sources are way better than their models.

I also feel like a few years ago the forecasts here were a whole lot better.

The one thing they pretty consistantly get right is whether it's gonna be East or West wind here in the Gorge.

Unfortunately, so does everyone else.

I will say this though: it's a very small market they're catering too, and so I do hope they continue, grow, and get better. It is--or, well, it could be--a very useful service, with a few changes.
jimoakes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? You can get windspeeds and forecasts here?
I thought it was $95 a year just for the forum.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this thread will have the opposite effect than was intended. Thanks for giving us a forum to bitch....

I was happy for years with my iwindsurf account, but now....

Not having pager service anymore makes it not worth it. And all those years of getting ski reports instead of wind/ forcasts for 6 months a year was a complete waste. the only months i do not sail is dec-feb.

this year who needed forecasting or the pager i sailed at least one day a weekend since late march (except one dead weekend in july).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: