myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How many are longboarding in waves already? Interested?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colorit, thanks for bringing this thread back to where I intended it to stay. I'd rec. the Kona One to most folks that sail in a large range of conditions. The 11,5 is a little specific for surf only. Konas are oriented more towards windsurfing, but are passible paddle boards for those that have already paid their dues paddling on more specialized boards. Frankly, I haven't the time to become a good paddler as I need very little wind to enjoy the waves on the Konas.

I asked kiters to butt out. Some kept at it. I told the joke as a repost in the "merry fencing" that pinhead Trip F___ decided to begin so many years ago. BTW, a kiter told me that joke, why can't I pass it along? Did I use something akin to the N word or what? Strike a chord, perhaps?

With a 9.0 Cuben Freespeed and the 11,5 Kona, kiting is canceled. Again, I'll ask kiters to refrain from discussing anything on a windsurfing forum. Please get a life and stick to your own forums. Obviously you've got too much time on your hands to troll around in other sports' forums. If you like to kite, fine, go do it.

I don't troll around in kiter's forums, again, please butt out. The kiters I wavesail with are mostly a good bunch. We share the water just fine. We don't talk much, but at least we don't sling crap at each other. On this issue, I'll debate the strengths and falicies of both sports and their populations as best I can with whatever amount of time I have. Typically, no one wins though.

Technique on waves with a long board try www.youtube.com video entitled wavesailing made easy.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedysailor, I've done all the variants of short and wide in the surf already. Yes the longboards are heavier. They glide onto a wave better, drive upwind on the windward rail better, glide over the flatter portions of the break better, side off wind better, and the list goes on.

Short and wide is more work, yet offers a more snappy turn, pumps on a plane slightly earlier, yet slogs more painfully, needs a longer fin, yet is less of a hassle to transport. Been there, done that. For me, and probably lots of others, longboards are great. Want to try one? Then you'd know what I'm using so many words to not even remotely get right...
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colorit, one last thought. I had just come off the water yesterday, and was exhausted. Any duck tail long board has several advantages. The versatility being the strongest. Subplaning, the full waterline is available for slogging upwind. Planing, the board drives off the fin better than the fin back older style LB's. Also the duck has a double rocker effect for wave rides and gybes.

Kona 11,5 for more of an all winds local and/or the heavies. 10,5 Kona for 2-3 mph more wind or the lighter set. I'm 89 kgs and could use either. The next best that I've tried was the Bic Jungle prototype that was at the last demo. It was not their target construction though, so watch the weight factor.

BTW, a longboard of any construction has to be heavy by comparison. These claims of being able to slog out with a smallish board are valid, if and only if the wind is side shore to side off. Been there, done that too. Doing the same when the wind is side on or worse is way more work than fun. The longboard takes those limitations away.

The day Eddy shot that recent video was 4-11 mph winds nearly directly onshore. Wind came up just enough for short boards for about an hour. It was touch and go planing for them, and looked like a lot of work. Meanwhile, the Kona 11,5 went from fun to funner.
rationalnational

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice video. That board looks exellent and you sail it well !
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks rational... I'm seeing an uptick in enthusiasm for windsurfing and wavesailing from those that have gotten their own long boards. It seems to uplift spirits and liberate the scheduling of the sessions dilemas in busy people's lives. Both priceless.
tsokat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked out the new Amundson that has just been or is soon to be released? I think it is around 11.5', not dagger and padded deck. I think I am more interested in a board w/o a dagger due to weight and simplicity. What do you do if you drop your sail in the white water or imapct zone? Do you think that a tri fin or twin fin might be a good design idea?
madmax7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Advice on longboard, those of you that have tried them Reply with quote

Help me out in doing some board selection, I live in So. Cal and chase wind, hardly ever sail anything bigger than a 6 sail, but today is a perfect example of needing to get out...
Picture this, 75 degrees, 1 to 3 footers, 2 to 8 knts sea breezes.

What do I want, put on a sail and head out and play in the surf...
am I interested in planning ? not necessarily, want to play ...
what if no wind paddle out? I guess if its easy to do...
I want to maximize my fun factor...
I had looked at the Kona (Im 175 lbs) and wanted to stay small 10.5 ft. but not sure (breezes this time of year fall and winter) can be all over the place and gusty. Also some of you have tried other brands and wanted your opinions...
I dont want to specialize on paddling but if you guys could tell me where I can order one thats reasonably priced...?
thanks for input, Max
vims

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not from Socal but I think Surfingsports run by wardog sells a lot of SUP boards there.

http://www.surfingsports.com/xstore.asp

The original "Kona Style" aka "Kona ONE" is probably the cheapest and most versatile route into light air and all-around sailing in flat water and small surf. I got mine new for $925 and have used it dozens of times for planing / nonplaning conditions, longboard racing, rail rides, teaching beginners, and flatwater SUP, all of which it does very well. I've had some fun with it in swells and small east coast waves <3', but I'm hesitant to take it out in bigger waves or significant shorebreak. I'm 160 lbs.

If you don't plan to do racing, beginner instruction, long-distance sailing, or anything else requiring the daggerboard, then one of the lighter, wave-oriented Kona's might be more appropriate. If I was only going to do surf sailing I would get the Kona 10.5. If I was going to paddle it, too, I would get the 11.5 for extra stability.

In contrast with other SUPs, all the Kona boards can fully plane because of the stepped tail and footstrap.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reply vims. I'll only add that the dagger on the Kona One is nice to have on tap for the very lightest of winds when trying to get out in surf where there are no channels nor point breaks. The dagger allows for the best upwind angle and drive when dealing with surf that has some serious push.

If the wind is always sideshore, the surf has seriously long periods between swells, and the sailor is at the top of his/her game, then the 10,5 should work fine in 2-8 mph winds in some pretty hefty waves. I've done fine with the 11,5 in mast high stuff with side shore wind. Neither of these 2 new Konas have daggers, and they are thinner profile with slippery rails.

Please take into consideration the duck tail does a lot of cool things for a board's performance:

Acts as an additional rocker for all the reasons surfing long boards benefit (a whole lot of good reasons discussed thoroughly by the surfing industry gurus)

Allows the release to be closer to the back foot when in planing mode for a more positive drive off the fin like a short board.

Turns more readily at any speed without having to weight the tail as much as a LB with a more traditionally placed fin.

When planing and getting hit by a gust, it stops the wheelie by reattaching.

When not planing it provides a longer rail for slogging closer to the wind to grind thru the surf.
colorit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I take the weekends off from the web, back now and the youtube link doesn't point to the video. I've seen the Exocet video with Patrice. Would like to see some more. Yes I'm only interested in the wavesailing aspects of the board. After many years my two girls 11 and 13 are finally at a point where I can give them their surfboards and they can paddle in on their own and take care of themselves. I'm usually on a 9'2" or 10' longboard surfing on those days with them, but am considering the Kona or a SUP so that I can practice wavesailing while they're surfing. They have no interest in windsurfing on the sound, though I've forced both of then to at least have the skills to uphaul and slow tack. Maybe if they watch Dad having fun on litewind waves they'll get the bug.

Charles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: