myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How many are longboarding in waves already? Interested?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sabia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: talk about baiting Reply with quote

yea, this ain't bait....

"
Dunno if you've been paying attn. 12 knots or less = no kiters. Oh yeah, yesterday, wind 8-40 = no kiters again. Looks like kiting was canceled yesterday for a good part of the day. As soon as things got challenging, they cringed.

New joke. What do tampons and kiting have in common? Both have strings with p___'s attached.
"

my crew ( _all_ ex wavesailing windsurfers) regularly kites in 8-12 on 5 mile downwinders slashing the shite outta waves from 2 to 8 feet -throwing heaps of spray, connecting vertical off tops, big cutbacks into long rides, that you can only dream about and get jealous of as your lame ass joke proves. Since you've never ridden a kite, or are scared of em, why not restrict your comments to subjects that you are very familiar with, like tampons.
RickCronk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Curious, Surf,vs wind, vs kite? Reply with quote

Not to get in between anti/pro or windsurf vs kite discussion, but what advantage do either have over true surfing. I surfed for many years when I lived on LI (a high school girlfriend was Trip's baby sitter), and I have since windsurfed for 25+. No surf on my current home waters (Hudson River) so I don't even own surf oriented windsurf gear. Kites have never interested me. Why would I want to paddle something as cumbersome as a long board, wave sail on a 12' board, or get yanked through the waves with a kite, when a modern surfboard is just so simply and excitingly pure?
As far as the "look of envy" on most surfers. No, their pissed off that you caught the wave way outside. Ask them. Curious, RC
hooper2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC,

I'm a long time surfer from southern RI and have travelled all over the world in search of perfect lefts. So I think I understand how surfers think. I'm pretty confident the surfers were thinking "why am I sitting here like a seal while that dude effortlessly surfs every wave that goes by."

Unless it's perfect glassy hollow waves, paddle surfing doesn't give the opportunities that surfing with a kite does. And, when it's blowing hard side-off-shore with a big swell, windsurfing still tops them all.

Aloha,
Hooper
speedysailor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hooper2 wrote:
Dude,

Take no offense in my comments as I'm just trying to share my personal opinions on what I believe is the most efficient and powerful means of riding waves. I understand your passion as I felt the same about light air windsurfing. I have been windsurfing for 15 years and traveled all over the world to wave sail. This was without a doubt my favorite means of riding waves. However, just this year I've come to realize that wave riding with a kite allows more freedom to surf a wave with the option of using the wind to perform power moves. Not to mention the light air opportunities (10 knots +).

Mahalo,
Hooper
How long and how much extra expense did it take before you could make that claim? Anone switching sports from windsurfing to kiting should be aware of that. Another rather embarrassing fact that these long board advocates want to forget would be that this equipment is heavy. It's at least twice as heavy as new freeride boards in the the 150 to 160 liter range. In addition I often sail in 10+ knots while the kiters stand watching on the beach. Since it's very gusty where I sail, the kiters can't ride through the lulls even in higher winds than that. Quite regularly I have a spectator gallery for my light wind planing. All the kiting instructors have told me they realize that windsurfing has a wider range.
hooper2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedy,

I hear an agree with your comments on windsurfing can be done in a wider range of conditions. And certainly if it's extremely gusty with big lulls kiting is no fun at all.

However, when it's 12+ knots and steady, kiting in flats or waves is pretty damn fun.

Longboarders, I agree with Speedy in that why would you want to ride a 12' tank when you can be on a short fat free-style or wave board? When the waves are big and the wind is real light I sail a Naish Floater (8'4" X 99L) to get me out and onto the wave. When your on the wave your generating so much apparent wind your powered and better off being on a board that can surf well.

Aloha,
Hooper
rationalnational

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all fair comments there bruce and hooper but the Ku Nalu weighs just 22 lbs. when built in carbon. It is very light and is fun in the waves as well as light wind freestyle cruising and for beginners.
It is the same design as the Starboard 12'2" but it is hollow and doesn't have a centerboard (which adds a lot of weight i.e. Kona) It goes up wind just fine and when planing, jibes beautifully.
vims

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kona and I've used it a lot in river / bay swells but not much in ocean waves. I love riding it and I'm looking forward to trying it in proper waves soon. (Although if it's windy enough I prefer a shortboard.)

Kiting looks like a great way to enjoy the waves and flat water, too, and it's a beautiful sport I would love to learn at some point.

But I'm too poor to mess with two gearhead sports now, and if I just did kiting I would have to drive a lot further to find suitable launches and would miss out on many light / gusty days. So I'm content to focus 100% on windsurfing for now.
RickCronk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoop, I've not surfed beyond NY's LI, but still know quite a few old friends who travel from Hatteras to Fiji to Costa, Panama, etc. annually over the past forty some years and don't think of themselves as seals just bobbing about (RI is of course colder which might explain the seal analogy) and on many occasion have felt quite put out to lose waves to watermen under sail, or kite or paddle power, all catching waves further outside. Fortunately, when conditions at most surf breaks are optimal for windsurfing or even kite surfing, the surfers are done for the day. But, then, cross off usually means tubes. Couldn't fit a mast or a kite in those babies. How sweet they were.
Back to something closer to the original post. Why do we think the original Hawaiian beach boys gave up stand up paddling in the first place? If it was so popular way back when, what happened? Outrigger paddling easier, faster? Surfboards more fun, lighter and simpler? SUP just too much work? Slower? Who knows? RC
speedysailor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I picked up a uni-directional board at a swap for little money and really didn't think I'ld be using it except to try the sport. However, I had a long talk with a kiting friend who was using his in light winds. He told me that they are the best way to go in surf. In fact he also said that good, ole dedicated windsurfer Robbie Naish made a video about how to ride them. Kiting looks like fun, but so didn't windsurfing when I was attracted to it.
rationalnational wrote:
all fair comments there bruce and hooper but the Ku Nalu weighs just 22 lbs. when built in carbon. It is very light and is fun in the waves as well as light wind freestyle cruising and for beginners.
It is the same design as the Starboard 12'2" but it is hollow and doesn't have a centerboard (which adds a lot of weight i.e. Kona) It goes up wind just fine and when planing, jibes beautifully.
It's not that this board wouldn't be fun, it's that it is offered as a replacement for something else at an additional cost.
colorit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually interested in this thread since I'm currently weighing the choice of an SUP vs a Kona, I had a chance to ride a SUP with a mast track 3 years ago and was intrigued. I'm looking forward to trying the Kona this fall at Ride Hatteras. So why are the Helmet Head, plowboarding, String Puppet teabaggers taking up bandwidth on this thread? I know !!! Maybe they could pretend to be Kiteboarders and go downwind, the farther the better.

Anyway John, I'm a big guy and was wondering what you felt the big differences were between the Kona with a dagger vs the new small one without. Weighing 240 I'm not sure which I should look at first. I don't think Ride has the new smaller board to demo yet? What are your thoughts about the two.

Charles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: