myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Angry fisherman at Sherman Island County Park - Playpen
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walk softly and carry an M16..
WindsurfUtah

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't the logical solution be to approach the fish and game board and get them to designate the beach area for windsurfing/kiting only. This is something the RVWA needs to take care of. Isn't this why they collect dues?

I doubt that any trouble will come from proposing the idea. Just explain that conflicts are starting to arise because some fishermen think it important to choose the 50 yards of beach that the windsurfers use. Remind them that fisherman can fish from almost anywhere and windsurfers are restricted to a small section of the river.
The RVWA could state that tension is high and for everyone’s safety the area should be designated for windsurfers/ kite surfers only (maybe even temporarily.) What is 50 yards of beach compared with the hundreds of miles of shoreline the fishermen can use?
Even though there is only one fisherman causing trouble windsurfers, by numbers, are still the minority.

The fastest way for that a-hole to get his own beach would be to provoke the windsurf community to beat him with walking sticks and get the whole lot of us banned from a fish and game owned park.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, guys, just videotape a knife-wielding episode and have him arrested. Or when he pulls out the knife, jack a round into your short-barreled, pump-action, pistol-gripped shotgun and put it in his face in self-defense. Either one should get the clown's attention.

\m/
afolander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reflecting back on my sailing at SI this summer, I'm convinced that I had seen Mad Tony at Powerlines a few weeks ago. The RVers had recently moved on and I was the only person parked there on a weekday afternoon and the wind had just come up to ~22-23.

Mad Tony pulled up his truck and parked it on the shoulder of the Levy road right across from Powerlines main entry point while I was rigging just below. I stopped my rigging and mentioned to him that it was not a good place for seting up fishing lines, etc. etc and that I would be entering the water soon. He grunted like he didn't understand.

Before I entered the water, I asked where his line was and avoided where he pointed (so he did understand). As I was coming back on my third reach, his truck was gone. At the time I thought his behavior was really bizarre, and I quickly pulled in and came out of the water so see if he was messing with my vehicle (parked below the levy), but he had really left.
andylong1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Making Things Happen Reply with quote

Over the last 35+ years of hang gliding, I've run into all kinds of people in positions of responsibility (government types with dellusions of power are my favorite) that we have had to deal with in order to keep our flying sites open. Private land owners, park rangers, etc.

Just like with windsurfing, we are often at the bottom of the totem pole... even though the rangers all admit that we are responsible, caring stewards for the properties we launch from and land on.

What we have found is if you want to get something done, like striking a balance with fisherman (and insuring that Mad Tony will mind his manners), you need to move up the chain of command until you get someone who will be your advocate AND who has the power to crack the whip on his/her subordinates.

Learn who the key players are in the chain of command of the organization that actually has the power to have Tony removed, arrested or whatever then keep moving up that chain until you finally find someone who will crack heads and make things happen.

We have found that when you only work with the small fish, it can take years to get stuff done (and right wrongs). But if you move up just one rung in the ladder and get one of the superiors to understand the seriousness of your situation, stuff that is taking months to move forward can suddenly be addressed in days.

So don't mess around with the small fry. Get in touch with district superiors or even someone in Sacramento. When the word from on high gets handed down to the minions, stuff happens fast. Why? Because the minions want to keep their jobs.

Another thing about Mad Tony and his knife. If indeed he had a switchblade (spring assisted opening), this is absolutely, positively illegal to have in California. If the powers that be would follow the law, Tony would have been arrested, removed from the area and be told in no uncertain terms that he would be facing jail time if he did it again.

But, alas, we live in California where the people in charge look the other way. That's why Tony is throwing his weight around; he knows he can get away with it.

Try that in Tennessee or some other less politically correct state and Tony would be wearing cement overshoes.

Hope you guys can find a solution.
tsokat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that no one gets scared off by this. I believe this is an isolated incident. I sail other places also, but in the past 10 years I have probably sailed at SI (sign and access) 300-400 times and not once have I had a run in with a fisherman, kiter, dog or anyone or anything. SI is one of the best resources for windsurfers and kiters in the State of California.
tsokat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by tsokat

Last edited by tsokat on Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
tsokat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by tsokat
nealpar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Angry fisherman at Sherman Island County Park - Playpen Reply with quote

afolander wrote:

This young Asian guy, ~5'4" 120lbs, had a chip on his shoulder because his lines got cut,

So this 5'4" 120 pounder is giving you guys the runaround up there? Sorry, but you are just embarrassing yourselves with this post. A bunch of sissies and whimps up there.
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A bunch of sissies and whimps up there."

HA! YOU GO GIRL! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: