myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Accidents at the Hatch?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anhkancook

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt recognize the guy.. definitely not one of the regulars at the hatch. he stopped briefly as we were both knocked well off the boards.. he asked if i was ok, and then was off... luckily, i was helped onto shore by several of my buddies and someone else retrieved my gear.. ankles arent quite the same...
jimoakes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anhkancook wrote:
didnt recognize the guy.. definitely not one of the regulars at the hatch. he stopped briefly as we were both knocked well off the boards.. he asked if i was ok, and then was off... luckily, i was helped onto shore by several of my buddies and someone else retrieved my gear.. ankles arent quite the same...

What was the sailing situation?

Are you happy paying for the damage yourself? How serious are the medical costs?

If the other sailor was at fault, even partially, we should all be asking around to find out who he is, so he has the opportunity to make things right with you.
anhkancook

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

light wind day.. i was halfway to the jibatorium heading in a port tach.. he was upwind of me... and basically t-boned me as he was catching a swell.. expenses, i work in the e.r., so not bad.. accidents happen.. i just hope it makes everyone a little more aware out there on the water so that no one hurts themselves or others... again, we are all there to just have a good time...
in2surfn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Right of way Reply with quote

Starboard tack has right of way (that's means sailing towards Oregon)
Wave riders always have right of way over back and forth sailors.
So if you got t-boned while on a port tack by a person riding a swell then it is completely and utterly your fault.
That being said the person should have helped you in to the beach.
jimoakes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Right of way Reply with quote

in2surfn wrote:
Starboard tack has right of way (that's means sailing towards Oregon)
Wave riders always have right of way over back and forth sailors.
So if you got t-boned while on a port tack by a person riding a swell then it is completely and utterly your fault.
That being said the person should have helped you in to the beach.

You could not be more wrong in2surfn!

For one thing we don't ride waves in the Columbia River. We ride swell. You can't honestly believe that it is O.K. to turn into people from upwind, riding swell or not.

From what anhkancook described the guy upwind was "at fault".

anhkancook you are very gracious. Many people can't afford the hospital bills. They would need to find the sailor who hit them so he or his insurance could pay for the damages.
WMP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to really look around before hopping onto the swell.... and keep looking around while taking the train rides. That being said... sailors on the swell do have ROW. On the other hand, if it was a light wind day, I can't imagine how this type of collision could happen unless someone was completely reckless and careless.

Hatch presents many logistical challenges in sailing styles on big wind days.... especially for swell riders. However, if this dude wasn't familiar with sailing the Hatch even on a light wind day, he probably was pretty green (stupid).... or just had one of those 'brainless moments'?
jimoakes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP wrote:
Need to really look around before hopping onto the swell.... and keep looking around while taking the train rides. That being said... sailors on the swell do have ROW. On the other hand, if it was a light wind day, I can't imagine how this type of collision could happen unless someone was completely reckless and careless.

Hatch presents many logistical challenges in sailing styles on big wind days.... especially for swell riders. However, if this dude wasn't familiar with sailing the Hatch even on a light wind day, he probably was pretty green (stupid).... or just had one of those 'brainless moments'?

I still say the sailor UPWIND must give way to the down wind sailor, riding swell or not. It only makes sense. The upwind sailor has more ability to avoid a collision in a T- bone type collision.
WMP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimoak wrote:
sailor UPWIND must give way to the down wind sailor

Sure thing, but the problem is upwind sailor doesn't always SEE the downwind sailor because of the blind spot created by their sail. ROW rules only apply if both sailors SEE each other.... otherwise, if one can't see the other, how can they apply ROW rules? Bottom line in ROW rules should be to do whatever it takes to avoid a collision..... NOT to insisit on being ROW god.
telus01

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the ocean it is accepted that the sailor on the wave has right of way. In the Gorge there is confusion - some sailors think starboard rules, others think on the wave rules regardless of tack.
Several Gorge sailing sites have signs up advising on windsurfing safety including right of way, and all they refer to is port gives way starboard, upwind gives way to downwind and overtaking avoids overtaken. No mention of waves. I think these rules should be accepted for the Gorge in general and I would encourage CGWA to get these signs put up at all the major sailing spots.
I would add one other rule which is part of sailing racing that states that if a sailor on port is keeping clear of a sailor on starboard, the starboard sailor cannot alter course to impede the port sailor. This would clear up the issue of "surfing" where an upwind sailor on starboard could not surf down onto a downwind sailor on port and expect the downwind sailor to keep clear.
The whole point of rules (including sailing racing rules) is primarily to avoid collision. Rights are established to determine who must give way. Even if you have a right, you must still avoid a collision - in sailing racing, if you are in the right and don't avoid a collision you can be protested out!
andymc4610

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the whole swell 'My wave' crap is bogus. You have a guy riding a swell 400 yards down river it ain't the same wave. That being said, I see someone riding a swell I go upwind or down wind and give a wide birth. But I am with the last guy starboard and or downwind sailor has 'right of way' not a 'right of passage'.

The old rule still applies when in doubt 'go right'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: