myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Biz trip to Santa Barbara Oct/Nov - what to ship?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpf18

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Biz trip to Santa Barbara Oct/Nov - what to ship? Reply with quote

Hi Santa Barbara sailors; looks like I'll have an extended biz trip to Santa Barbara, CA coming up. Oct/Nov. Just wondering what to ship out there (I live on the east coast) for this time frame. My quiver (in the smaller sizes): 75l wave, 98l free ride; 4.0, 4.7. 5.8, 7.0. Is it worthwhile to ship the 4.0 and 75l board out there; can I leave the 7.0 at home and still get some decent water time (on the weekends)? Sailor weights 180lbs. Experience sailing 6-8ft waves (Hatteras). Thanks in advance!
allen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no wind on the west coast from mid Oct. on. I wouldn't bother shipping anything..........Our Season is from March -Sept.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jpf18,

Sorry to disappoint you, but October/November opportunities usually are quite slim, at least in my experience. Of course, the unusual can occur, but is that worthy of spending a bunch of money to freight things here and back? Please keep in mind that rental opportunities are virtually nil, because nonebody is advertising product or services of that nature.

Notwithstanding my less than positive outlook on windsurfing, the traditional surfing opportunities could be excellent. In true frankness, however, everything kind of depends on mother nature. But, in my experience, the dice can deliver, especially at Rincon. Renting a surfboard is probably much more viable. Try the "Beach House" or "Channel Islands Surfboards" in close proximity to Sterns Wharf at the end of State Street, or possibly the surf shop off Santa Claus Lane just before Carpinteria.
3-phase

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Santa Barbara October Reply with quote

you will get more wind in Cabrillo Beach 2 hours south of Santa Barbara,
It is a thermal wind and in October you get like 12 to 18 so a 120 liter board and 7.0 help for the windy days a 5.3 / 5.7 and 90 liter wave get's the job done. There are some west wind front they are blowing 25 solid but not to often. Cabrillo has no wave, on west wind you can go to RAT beach in Palos Verdes 6 to 8 feet and Point break just call I show you where.

You can rent that stuff by www.windsurfdeal.com

Aloha

Jurg

KA sail dude USA
3-phase@cox.net
408-394-9695
www.kasail.com
geohaye

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To see the entire wind graph history for Ledbetter for October 2006, use the Wind Archive tool on the left hand side, or click here:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windAndWhere.iws?siteID=221&archiveMonth=10&archiveYear=2006&archiveSearch=Go&Isection=Wind+Archive&regionID=129&geographicalAreaID=0

Just to the south, C-Street, Ventura tells a very very slightly better tale of wind during October 2006:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windAndWhere.iws?siteID=203&archiveMonth=10&archiveYear=2006&archiveSearch=Go&Isection=Wind+Archive&regionID=129&geographicalAreaID=0

Hmmm.... if you go can find a way to go back to the the year 2000, you'll find a few more days in October at C-Street:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windAndWhere.iws?siteID=203&archiveMonth=10&archiveYear=2000&archiveSearch=Go&Isection=Wind+Archive&regionID=129&geographicalAreaID=0

Alas, SB is one of the nicest places in California. Be sure to also bring your Birkenstocks and your surfboard and you'll be fine.

George

10102000.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.61 KB
 Viewed:  13532 Time(s)

10102000.gif

dabull1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Ride a bike! Reply with quote

Ditto the other guys. Ship the mountain or road bike to SB as there's some great riding that time of year. Give the W/S gear a rest 'cause the only wind are the Santa Anas which can be very fluky and storm clearing winds where you have to be at the right place at the right time to catch. Generally, my kit goes into hibernation from Nov to Mar. Bull
kurtmagness

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ventura C- Street or Jalama beach park is probably the only places that will have wind & waves. Santa Barbara area generally does not have consistent winds. If your going to score anything you got to have your gear in the car and ready to jump on it fast because it does not last. Jalama is 1 hr away Ventura is 1/2 hr. Weekends only will limit you severly. Most people I see out have "flexible " jobs or none at all. Surfing is you best bet or Stand up paddle boards are getting popular. You can rent or buy if you get hooked. Bring you wet suit 3 or 5 mil full w/ booties. I would not go to rincon if you are just begining, too frustrating, agressive. Ventura c street is more spread out, consistent, and you can checkout the setup for wind if you ever come back in the spring.
jpf18

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Thanks for all the tips Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the tips.
If cost isn't prohibitive I guess I might ship the 98l and a couple of sails. It all fits into a coffin bag I got so that should be straighforward. I'll take wind over waves but sounds like beggars can't be choosers. Might pick up a surfboard out there. I'm a hack surfing as we don't get much practice here in VA, so I might get an opportunity to brush up that skill set. I guess I'll give wardog a buzz...

The MTB is already on my list of essentials. I already checked the locks on my bike box last night. Still got the keys thankfully after a number of years not having to use it. I'm definetly ready for some new terrain.
jpf18

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK wrapping up here on the west coast. Had a great time; thanks for all the tips. I made some friends here which is great; got out at C Street, Ledbetter Beach Park and Hendrey's (Arroyo Beach) a number of times.

MTB riding is sensational here, espcially compared to what we've got back east, of course. Rode the trails off Gibraltar Ridge on the front side (once the closure was lifted)... didn't even have time to check out the backcountry. Wow, this area is certainly a nice part of the country.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, what did you end up shipping out to the west coast, and was it the right gear? how many times did you get out, and what sail size were you on? glad you were able to get some.

kev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: