myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiter death at Belmont
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
letwink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Kiter death at Belmont Reply with quote

I was at Belmont yesterday and saw a kite in the water go all the way down the beach and end up on the rock jetty down by Seal Beach. The odd thing is usually the side on wind will blow a kite to shore at Belmont, which was a nice "safety net" when I was learning to kite there.

I was with my 11yo son who is learning to kite and we were walking up the beach and I saw Jeff, and old windsurfing buddy who is now a kiter. I have not seen Jeff in several years because he does not come to Cabrillo anymore. Jeff pointed out the kite in the water and mentioned it odd that the kite was not getting blown onto the beach. He had the guy's board in his hands and was walking down the beach to give the board back to the rider when he did finally reach shore. Shortly after this my son got up on the board and rode quite a way down the beach to within about a half mile of the break wall where the kite had finally stopped. My son came to shore and we decided to call it quits for the day, we were winding up the lines. Another rider walked by and said "we lost one today". I was not sure what he meant and he told me that the rider attached to the kite (on the wall) had drowned. He told me that he had seen the rider and actually touched him. He said the kite lines had become wrapped around the riders’ legs.

A few moments later Jeff came up the beach and shook his head, more confirmation of the accident. The lifeguard boats were on the scene and we soon heard sirens. I can't find any news reports about the incident. Jeff told me that the guy looked like a beginner, and had put the kite in the water near shore. He warned some kids who were playing in the small surf to watch out for the kite and lines. Jeff said he saw the guy moving around and assumed he was "monkey-ing with his gear" so he could get relaunched.

I’m wondering if there’s any more information out there. I don’t normally consider Belmont a treacherous place to kite, but I guess you can drown anywhere there’s enough water co cover your face.
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: NAZI LIFEGUARDS Reply with quote

Well here is the perfect opportunity to shut us down.
Very unfortunate to die like this and over the years accidents like this are to be accepted. California lifeguards are idiots. Far from what one could considers waterman. This will have wide effects!!!!

Watch out.

My sincere condolences to the family of the lost sailor.
jp5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: lifeguards are not supermen Reply with quote

This sucks. Not only for the unfortunate kiter but for his family as well. kiting is a dangerous sport. not just to the user, but to those around him and is precisely why several of us windsurfer regulars at Leo do not want them around.

the lifeguards are there for the bathers i doubt that any of them could have saved this guy considering his legs were tangled up in his lines. dont you guys carry knifes so that you can cut yourself free in this type of situation? it's not fair to blame the guards. we all go out knowing the risks and accept responsibilty for our own actions.

my condolences to his family.
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are you???? JPASSKING. Identify your self .....you area KOOK!
makaniman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Those kite lines are dangerous ! Reply with quote

This is why other ocean users have concerns about kiting, especially when kiters are "performing" with their lines overhead. In crowded locations they need to more aware and safety oriented ... a sad situation / example... Sincere condolences for this kiter and his ohana.

Remember everyone is out there to have fun and return home safe and sound.
nealpar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor guy. I can just imagine how he went out on the water yesterday, the way we all do, to have some fun on a beautiful clear day, not anticipating in his wildest dreams, that he would lose his life. Just tragic.

What surprises me is that NOONE noticed that the guy was in trouble earlier. How in the hell is that possible if the guy didn't go far from shore????????????????????????????????????????????? As I recall, Belmont is pretty crowded, especially on the weekends, and one is always aware of how is around them (or in their way), especially near shore.

Finally, this makes me wonder if WE ALL shouldn't carry cutting gear of some sort, including windsurfers! No kidding. If I were a windsport product manufacturer, I'd make it STANDARD to install a knife holder on BOTH WINDSURF and KITESURF harnesses.
tsokat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregorvass, do you really think this is the time and place to make comments like that about the lifeguards? In Northern Cal we don't even have lifeguards at any place where I windsurf. Other than the Coast Guard we are totally on our own.

Rest in peace to the kiter and my condolences to his family.

Last edited by tsokat on Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
tsokat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nealpar, do you really want to have that many knife carrying folks on the beach given all of the user conflicts that are apparently going on down your way?
vinlypool

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: belmont Reply with quote

Rather than putting blame on any other person, take this as a warning. Check your gear and make sure you have a kite line safety knife. People have been kiting at Belmont for ten years or so and this is the first death. Driving down the 405 is a lot more dangerous than kiting. Twisted Evil
cherrywood182

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally carry a knife while yachting since long lines under load attached to sails can become deadly very quickly.

This has convinced me to carry a safety knife while windsurfing as I now consider kiters lines a serious threat to my safety.

My condolences to the family.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: