myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lawn-chairing it at The Hatch?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rowenaman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Lawn-chairing it at The Hatch? Reply with quote

The question I'm posing is a challenging one for Hatch regulars and my apologies if I offer offense in the asking. What is it with folks that park a lawn chair by their rig or RV, and picnic there long AFTER they are done sailing for the day? Ya know, off the water at 3 - though chillen with friends till 6 type thing? I really do enjoy all the great souls that frequent The Hatch; though usually try to get my sail fix in, then make room for late arrivals.

Last Friday is a case in point. Epic 4.0 day and I negotiate a long lunch - get there 12:30. Pretty parked out and some dude is reading in his lawn chair next to his RV across from the vault toilets (no problem - it's lunch after all). Off the water at 2:00 - he's still there (tho maybe he was taking a break?). Return again after work for slightly gustier but still very sailable wind - the dude is still parked in his chair (joined by another lawn chair rider and a more empty beer cans).

With limited parking I ask: Is it resonable to expect if folks are DONE sailing/de-rigging on a crowded day, that they may consider joining buds for a brew or soak up some sun at a locale other then The Hatch parking lot? There are many other beautiful hang out spots in Da Gorge. Of course, one can't enforce this - it's just the polite thing to do.

Some of us with regular jobs don't usually chill out at The Hatch from dawn patrol till dinner time --- parking is a premium item and I wonder if all day picnic set ups are an accepted part of Hatch culture --- or not?
wdsurf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: hatch campers Reply with quote

yes i hear you as a 20 year visitor to the gorge for a month at a time,i,ve noticed its gotten worse as the years go by.people get older sail less sit more. get the hell out of dodge when you are done so other folks can get a session in. Question
hilton08

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: camping at the hatch Reply with quote

I suspect most of these people are living out of their car/van/RV so they don't have a house/motel/campground to go back to. They'll stay as late as possible before finding a place to park/sleep for the night then return early the next day.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the culture? Yes.
Part of the accepted culture? No; just the obnoxious, self-centered behavior we see every day. Some people parked their big (35' ?), brown, Class A at Roosevelt over a busy, windy, crowded weekend a couple of week ago, sideways in the center section so they could slide out their slideouts and have no one parked beside them. They forced several cars and minivans to park up the road somewhere - where vehicles have been ticketed -- and ignored the camp host's insistence they park like everyone else, which would have occupied only one long slot. Too bad the Corps ranger didn't pass by; he would not have taken "No" for an answer, and writes lots of tickets. He allows up to two parking places, and only if required by the vehicle, not just because some primadonna wants to stretch out his awning or carpet.

It's really a shame we have to rely on gendarmes to persuade people to behave responsibly, especially when they aren't violating any law other than the Golden Rule so we have to try to persuade them ourselves to think about someone else for a change.

\m/
Berta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get over it!

I'm the 1st to say that I dont aprove of 30 foot rv's any more than the rest of you, but getting butt hurt because someones reading in their lawn chair is bogus. Dont be mad that he/she's figured out how to relax in the summertime and enjoy the day, and who are you to regulate how long someone parks their rig for. Hike it across the road if you need to. While were at it we should ban non windsurf tourists, we wouldnt want them thinking windsurfing was cool or anything...might hurt our "old guys mad about parking" image
mik377

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the hatchery park is for everyone and not just wsers (isnt it?). even though Ive had the same thoughts (darn tourists!) I have to remind myself of this sometimes. Kids swimming in the launch area argh- ok relax. At this time of year it shouldnt be hard to find parking, last year sept-oct was opposite- not enough people there I was glad to see anyone else.
loosescrew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need to chill and let freedom reign.
rowenaman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the hatchery park is for everyone and not just wsers (isnt it?). even though Ive had the same thoughts (darn tourists!) I have to remind myself of this sometimes.

Well...yep mik377 - that is a good reminder. Having sailed there for so many years (and paid to sail there a few of em) it is easy to see it as a WS beach only - and a damn good one at that. But your right, anyone has access.

And as an aside, as I said in my original post - I see no way to "enforce" no extended picnic parking; it just comes down to a hope (or kind suggestion) that on crowded days --- folks totally done sailing could make room for others easier. It ain't rocket science - it's simply being nice Wink
andymc4610

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my part, I have not launched there in years....so, you can have my spot. I used to get there at 8am-2pm all weekends all summer long, maybe a couple people at the 'Point' if it was good, hardly ever an RV except for july.

I remember in the 80's the parking lot would be full of Canadians and east coast sailors.
hommie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Isobars - the golden rule is what is missing from the chair surfers. These people remind of those who go to church, not for the spiritual aspects; rather it is to be seen and be part of the scene. Moreover, it seems galling that those hanging 'round often seem not to be better sailors.
This phenomenon seems eerily similar to those who say they skiied Corbett's or Ajax. They may have, but not very well and only once or twice.
These people @ the Hatch could be known as apresailors.
It seems telling that the rate of chairsurfing is proportional to the distance from Hood River. The farther away you go, the less there is. I wonder if it has anything to do with the core quotient of the sailors that regularly make the drive to Doug's and beyond. As in hard core; the hard core sailors go and sail the great places, away from the scene, because they love to sail, not apresail.
If you are done sailing, leave. If you need to feel good about your hour session, go call your mom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: