myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiter death at Belmont
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabull1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Black day for us all! Reply with quote

Sadness was my first reaction to this news. Yes ,part of the rush for all 1% sports whether it be W/S, kiting, wintersports, or riding one of those sweet Hogs that serenade us from PCH while sailing Leo, is pushing the envelope of life. The risk of life, in an existential sense, hightens our awareness of it's limitations. Unfotunately our friend experienced his final limitation. Rest in peace, windbrother! Bull
dabull1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: You'll wish you had one... Reply with quote

JR, now is not the time to rag on the kiters, and kiters, PLEASE read and take to heart Gregor's post. With that out of the way, a true story... Some of you may have seen the post a couple of months ago where I described my attempted rescue of a loose kite around dusk at Leo. It was around sunset that a few of us late- shifters noticed this kite about 3/4's of a mile out. Since there was still good wind, I sailed out to see if I could make someone's day. I dropped my rig on the kite and then tried to deflate the bladders so I could roll her up and bring it in. As I was doing this, the lines wrapped around my base and lhe clew of my boom. At that moment I realised the folly of my ways. With each gust the lines were pulling my rig and me further downwind. I was very lucky as I was able to get untangled and sail back to shore. I almost lost MY rig trying to save someone else's, not to mention a possible free swim after dark! From that day on, I've carried a 2" stainlees steel knife in my harness pocket. However, after evaluating the unfortunate kiter's demise, whereas it would be next to impossible to one, fish for a knife in a pouch located in the small of your back while being dragged by your foot, and then, in that position, get to the line to cut it, I will now find a way to secure it around my neck or upper torso. Rowena, for self defense against those pesky kiters, I prefer the kite-seeking Hellfire missles, they're alot more fun! Bull
tsokat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nealpar, I was just kidding and didn't intend to insult anyone. I know you were just talking about a small cutting tool and not about Bowie knives. And from what I have read, you Leo sailors are a more educated and civilized bunch than most. So I would totally trust you all to carry knives. User conflicts are everywhere in our state's beaches and trails, especially my area and your area, and not limited to any one part of it. I just find that sometimes it helps to try make light of our conflicts.
theq

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would heavy duty toenail l clippers work to cut the lines? Not the little fingernail clippers, but the big'uns. It seems that, due to their leverage, they'd be quicker, and less likely to be effected by a little bit of dulling from corrosion. Of course corrosion would effect the action of the clipper somewhat. A maintenance regimen would go a long way in minimizing inconvenient failure. Just a thought.
erik

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very sad.

I had an out of town friend visiting, he kites, so for the first time I went to Belmont yesterday. There were about 4 windsurfers mixed in between tons of kiters and all I saw were people having fun, while being friendly, careful and respectful of each other. I have no doubt that anybody out there would have immediately tried to help and rescue somebody clearly in trouble.
Billyptres

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Carrying a knife Reply with quote

Horrible tragedy for that guy and his family...javascript:emoticon('Sad')

People forget when you are on the water doing this stuff how quickly you can drown. I carry a knife most days especially when there are a lot of kiters around. A kiter friend almost drowned a few years ago at county when he got tangled in his lines on a big wave- and this guy is good! Growing up sailing all kinds of boats everyone carried a knife, usually one with a marlin spike which works better with knots. If this guy had a knife in easy reach he may still be alive. I can't understand why all kiters don't carry them, it's just common sense with all that string and tension. Most people sail through life with out serious injury and consequently get lulled into thinking nothing bad will ever happen to them. It's also a good idea if you sail way out (further than you can swim back) to have the following: extra line, knife, warm hat, whistle and of course newish gear.

My wife and I used to run a lot of rivers in kayaks and canoes and there are a lot of drownings every year in those sports including very accomplished river rats. We quit after one too many close calls. Windsurfing is nice because if you have some skills the chances of an accident like that are slim... kiting....well lets just say if you read around on the web there are a lot more horrible stories every year. The quick learning curve to intermediate skills like snowboarding is a double edged sword-Believe it or not though both kiting and WS are way safer than snow sports.
rowena

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brothers and sisters,

It appears others have thought about a carrying knife while sailing and kiting, and come up with a solution. It's called the Hook Knife, by DaKine, and my friend ordered me one today (Now that's a good friend...)

Here's one at this website, but you can probably find it elsewhere...

http://www.sailingproshop.com/Products/Dakine-Hook-Knife__20405.aspx

Don't know it's functionality, but it looks like it might do the job.

P.S. DaBull----might be a little lighter in weight than a missile launcher.

Idea Wink
fradge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Article from a Long Beach Paper Reply with quote

LONG BEACH - A body found in the waters near Belmont Shore was identified Sunday, authorities said.

Lifeguard boats pulled the lifeless body, which was found floating face-down, out of the water at about 4 p.m. Saturday, said Long Beach Fire Department Capt. Mike DuRee.

The man was found between Granada Avenue and Island Chaffee, with a harness that was attached to a kite, leading authorities to believe the man may was a kite surfer.

The victim was in full cardiac arrest and transported to a local hospital where he was declared dead, DuRee said.

The Los Angeles County Coroner's Office identified the body as 30-year-old Yam Poh Chua of Long Beach, said Investigator Betsy Magdaleno.

Police are treating the death as a drowning, said Long Beach Police Sgt. Dina Zapalski. An autopsy is pending.
gregorvass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use profane language to cut strings, masts and bullshit.

BS aside, I spoke to couple guys in Maui and current recomendation is:

If the wind is too lite to get kite air-born then use one back-line to real kite in collect all lines trow them on the kite and swim. untangle on the beach.

If the wind is strong enough to get kite air-born: Forget the board. Focus on relaunching the kite. If you are bladder first on the water pull and release front lines this will often cause kite to flip on its back. Then use the back line facing the beach to get the kite to the edge of the wind window.
NEVER EVER PLACE YOURSELF BETWEEN THE BAR AND THE KITE IN STRONG WINDS.

IF A LINE BRAKES GRAB BACK LINE FACING THE BEACH THIS WILL MAKE KITE GO THAT WAY.
Stay alert and aware of what goes around you.
DEATH SUCKS IT IS SO CALM UP THERE!
skmv

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no one to blame... but bad luck. And the riders own realization that they are always at fault, kiting has long been a sport where you must accept the potential disasters and assume all risks. Any waterman knows that it is only themselves and mother ocean out there. As a pro-instructor, I always teach about the dangers of slack lines in the water, how they will envitably find a way around your body... Learning to keep your lines outstretched in the water and effectively using your safety system is more important than riding. But acidents will happen to the best of us, knives may help if you can reach one, (i was surprised to notice that in 2007 Dakine has removed them from their harnesses), but i couldnt when i was pulled leg first underwater until my kite luckily crashed after death spiralling for 50 yards... (thank god the other leg was free...) Kitemares will continue to happen ever longer as more people enter the sport, gear makers slacken on their safety measures, and beginners bypass invaluable kiteboarding courses, dealers sell gear to uncertified riders, etc... Another sad day indeed, and a reminder that it is only you outhere so be ready.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: