myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
name of the spot across from pleasure bay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt007

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: name of the spot across from pleasure bay Reply with quote

Dear fellow Boston sailors,

What is the name of the spot right across from Pleasure Bay. Also how do we get there? I understand that it is pretty good on a westerly wind.

I sailed today at Kalmus and had a great time. Tried earlier to sail at Chappaquoit but unfortunately could not find a parking space.

Cheers.
scooper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what spot you mean. Maybe Hough's point or Nut Island? You can look on IWindsurf site info for Hull and it has info for the whole area. The local sailors can probably tell you more than I can.

I was at Kalmus today too, from about 12 to 6. It was a great day!
gt007

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was something like squamit or something similar to that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Squantum Quincy Reply with quote

If you are on the "landing" facing out with the causeway and Pleasure Bay to your left, it is the Squantum section of Quincy on your right. To drive there; Follow shore line to Morrissey Blvd to Neponset Circle. Take left at lights, go under the highway, follow traffic to the left for about 2.5 miles. At traffic light with Dunkies on the left, take a left.
Seawall is on your left about .5 miles. Never launched there so cannot share first hand info. On other side is Wollaston beach. This website has info on favorable wind directions.
gt007

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the directions.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squantum used to be a naval air station. Although it was highly active during WWII, it's been closed for some time. You ought to be careful in that part of Ma. sailing.
npiankov

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squantum is the place you are referring to, I think. Other places are "right across from Pleasure Bay" like Logan Airport, JFK library or a couple of islands to the East, but the nice sailable place for W and NW winds is Squantum. The beach there is very small - maybe 50yds across at best. Parking is non-existent and we park on Shoreham st. You can rig right there and carry your stuff across the road onto the beach. The place does not look very appealing once you get there, but it's good place for sailing. It's especially a nice place to sail in W winds, as it's going to be a LOT more consistent and often a lot stronger too than most other Boston launches, including P-bay. I remember one day about a month ago when it was blowing pretty good NW on a Saturday. I drove by P-bay and it looked like 5.5 conditions to me with big lulls when I wouldn't be planing on a 7.5. I drove over to Squantum and it was pretty consistent and super strong - I rigged a 4.0 and had a good 2-3 hours, planing much of the time and overpowered for short bits.
gt007

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forecast this saturday calls for reasonably strong winds out of the NW, since I cannot go to Chapin on Saturday, do you guys think Wollaston may be the call or perhaps Squantum?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: