myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Baja- San Quintin, San Carlos, La Ventana
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-wo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it will be available in all the usual outlets, Amazon et al.
elenna

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

San Carlos rips pretty much all year, even 3-4 days a week during the dead of winter. I'd try to catch it on one of those fall south swells, you won't regret it.

I've never been stopped by a cop down there, we cross the boarder at 6am when they're nursing their hangovers, and you never see them once you get past Ensenada.

Be careful, once you go...you start to jones for the place and will want to return every year. If you have time, wait for a solid indicator of a south swell, then make the trip. Otherwise you'll end up sailing in very tiny surf that gets a little boring after a couple of days.

Sail the Chili Bowl first day. It's worth it! The waves in front of Solo Sports pale in comparison.

Don't be tentative, sail hard as you can right out of the blocks. The waves, even the big ones, don't have the same impact as you might expect at home. The next day, the swell might be gone.

Throw meat, it's a hero's wave that makes marginal sailors look like pros. Don't be afraid of smacking the lip or throwing an ariel, the consequences are minimal.

Bring a bike, surfboards and boozed. Kill yourself with fun. We had many a day where we surfed in the morning, and double or triple sailing sessions in the afternoon.

Prepare for wind! Bring materials to build a wind block. After a couple of days eating dust, you'll look at the other well equipped campers with envy.

Take some good painkillers and antibiotics! There are always nicks, cuts and bruises from that amount of fun. It sucks big time to suffer in the dust and not sail. In my last trip, I suffered from a throat infection that was pretty severe and had limit my sailing time. The pharmacist is a long ways away and cutting the trip short is usually not an option.

Drive the road slow. It's amazing how fast a flat can happen and suddenly you're driving in the middle of nowhere with out a spare.

If you have swell, 4 days is about all you can take. If you don't, try to stay 2 weeks, you're bound to catch something epic.

Don't sweat your car. The Mexicans can fix anything at a fraction of the cost.

Make the trip, you'll have one of the best windsurfing experiences of your life. Don't bother with Ventana or San Quintin....unless you're a kiter.

Eric
elenna

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video of a 2006 trip

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3242828113182200057&q=brokeback+baja&total=2&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Brokeback Baja

35 min 49 sec - May 10, 2007
Average rating: (2 ratings)
Description: The adventures of a group of S.F. Bay Area wind/surfers on their annual trip to a desolate remote area of Baja in the year 2006. Copyright © 2007 by Prescott Lee

Want to see more cool videos?
Go to video.google.com/
windanseaphoto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Surfers attacked in Tijuana Reply with quote

andrewc wrote:

Problems in Mexico are way overrated. In 10 years of trips to San Carlos the worst that has happened to me is a couple of $20 bribes. Keep a low profile and don't travel at weird times.

I'll Never Go to Baja Again
http://surfermag.com/features/onlineexclusives/carjackedmexicobaja/

In the meantime Roger, the passenger in the front vehicle, was being dragged out of the truck by his shirt at gunpoint. The Mexican carjacker was wearing a cut-off black wetsuit ski mask. "I offered the guy my wallet, " explained Roger. "At this point I knew this was serious and I offered him everything we had, the car our money, everything."

This time he took his right hand off the handle and pulled the barrel forward and then back, cocking the gun. He inserted a bullet. The gun was now pointed down directly at Roger's chest.
mogunn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elenna wrote:
Video of a 2006 trip

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3242828113182200057&q=brokeback+baja&total=2&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Brokeback Baja

Eggzellent work by ShredEx! Very Happy

elenna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let internet fears get in your head. You will always find some sort of fear mongering tale on the web about Mexico because that makes news. Remember that the incidents represent such a small fraction for the millions of trips made to mexico, that to even consider them is laughable. You have a higher probability of being attacked by a shark! Don't let the BS fool you, it is far safer to travel in Baja than it is to travel in Los Angeles.

Below is a fine example of a high impact, low probability sensationalist news story.

Quote:

I'll Never Go to Baja Again
http://surfermag.com/features/onlineexclusives/carjackedmexicobaja/

In the meantime Roger, the passenger in the front vehicle, was being dragged out of the truck by his shirt at gunpoint. The Mexican carjacker was wearing a cut-off black wetsuit ski mask. "I offered the guy my wallet, " explained Roger. "At this point I knew this was serious and I offered him everything we had, the car our money, everything."

This time he took his right hand off the handle and pulled the barrel forward and then back, cocking the gun. He inserted a bullet. The gun was now pointed down directly at Roger's chest.

[quote/]
There are several high profile accounts on the web of Baja Trips gone awry. Don't let them sway your decision to go, the odds are well in your favor.

Eric
mogunn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elenna wrote:
Remember that the incidents represent such a small fraction for the millions of trips made to mexico, that to even consider them is laughable.

Laughable perhaps until the victim is someone you know.

Shocked

D-wo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the operative question here. Does anyone know these guys? They were going to San Carlos and supposedly not for the first time. These stories have played out in the marginal press for years, but I know a lot of people who have been going to Baja for years and never seem to know anyone who this happens to. Why didn't this story get covered beyond Surfer online? I'm not denying it, but it does seem a bit peculiar.
mogunn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-wo wrote:
Does anyone know these guys?

Yes.
The story is true.

Be careful out there.

tomg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I convinced! The fact that he went to that much trouble to make a movie about a camping / road / surfing trip speaks to how great this spot is.

Great fun to watch!

I've wondered about the road in but the fact that they had a motor home means it is likely the usual washboard.

Looks pretty good for beginner surfers as well?

Tom G.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: