myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Suggestion: Lead by example, and access should continue.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if we knew what has changed since I grew up on Florida beaches and in public swimming pools and right now in the Gorge, where there were/are no lifeguards, we could better solve the conflict. To me, lifeguards are figments of TV's imagination; I've almost never seen one in real life this side of Hawaii. Are people just getting to be such aholes that gum'mint oversight (aka interference) is required to resolve these problems, or are we just getting so used to letting the gum'mint take care of us that we can no longer take care of ourselves? Would answers to those questions help provide a solution, or are they merely academic in this case? I've seen far more such problems resolved personally, with words and/or pressure from peers, wives, parents (even with 40-somethings), children, or even force if necessary, than I have by invoking gum'mental "help". How often is any gum'mint solution better and longer-lasting than one worked out by participants?

\m/
FredBGG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Windsurfers!

I was kiting at Leo yesterday and I was pissed off to see how a few kiters and windsurfers were breaking the rules. I took a good look at who was doing what and I'm somewhat relieved to say that it was just a few ass-holes ruining what was otherwise a great day.

When I got there there was a guy comming in with his kite really close to the beach just east of the big stairs. I was walking down towards nicolas Canyon to launch. I put all my crap down and waded out to yell at him to get the fuck out of there. He looked straight at me several times like he was doing nothing wrong, but finally got it after 15 minutes of me yelling and waving my hands around.

Most of us kiters are decent guys and we watch out for each other and try as best as we can to police the crowd. Whenever I see a new face I tell them what the rules are, but if they have already launched it's hard to do much.

Anyway I think it's a passing moment. Yesterday and the day before there were lots of Kiters up at Leo that came from the Belmont Shores/Long Beach area. There had been bad wind at Long Beach for quite a while and I think thats what brought them up to Leo. It's a quite a nasty drive from down there on a buisy week-end (405 hell). Once the heat wave is over and the heat bubble at Belmont Shores is gone they won't bother with making the drive.

One thing that really pisses me off though is that Windsurfers need more wind to really enjoy themselves while kiters can have a blast in much lighter winds. It really bugs me when I see kiters not giving the Windsurfers a bit more room when it's one of their(windsurfers) days.
Come on kiters we have it great far more days than the windsurfer do.... when it's blowing strong give them some room and enjoy the show. Cool

Cheers

See you out there.

Fred
theq

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FredBGG: Thanks for taking the steps to rein in the out of bounds kiter, and for your overall awareness of "the scene".

Well, I went against my first instinct, which was not to sail today. Actually, I had a fun day. However, me and a local kiter almost met head on at speed. It was sort of a freak thing, where I was taking off on a very nice set wave right at the peak. Just as I was accelerating toward the beach I saw the kiter who was looking either downwind toward his kite or at the beach. Suddenly he was coming right at me, still for a moment looking elsewhere. He may have been in the middle of his transition. I was so close to him that I had to go upwind otherwise I would've been in his lines. We both committed to our lines, mine upwind, his offwind, and we barely averted disaster. Like I said, it was sort of a freak situation, but really came within inches of each other. Didn't we Ron? No harm, no foul. But dang that was as close as you can get without colliding.

I hope that Fred is right about the crowd situation returning to normal.
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Fred's post is also on the iKitesurf forum??
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the email address for the California State parks department for anyone who would like to voice their concerns about the unsafe conditions at Leo Carrillo caused by increased Kiter surfing usage.

info@parks.ca.gov
ABrailsford

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Happy Reply with quote

I can't tell you guys how happy I am to not live in So Cal anymore. Just to many ego's and not really any wind.
My suggestion to all your problems is MOVE.
Have fun.
Adam
ABrailsford

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Happy Reply with quote

I can't tell you guys how happy I am to not live in So Cal anymore. Just to many ego's and not really any wind.
My suggestion to all your problems is MOVE.
Have fun.
Adam
fradge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Lead by Example Reply with quote

Saturday, I almost got my head taken off. I had to bail out. And the idiot that was kiting didn't say a word. Just kept going.
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been thinking a lot about that lately Adam. Where would you suggest?
nealpar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you guys have forgotten my post a few weeks ago, wherein I described the advice I received from the main lifeguard at Leo. He felt that the issue needed to be resolved amongst ourselves, because if the resolution is "imposed" from the outside, it may be ugly for all of us. So all the bitching and moaning and letter writing and whistleblowing is useless, if the sincerity in trying to reach a compromise is missing.

Personally, if I'm not upwind of a kiter on a wave, I try to get the hell out of the way. Alternatively, I try to learn "their method" of riding the wave. Sometimes, they look like they will take up the whole wave, but in reality they don't, so we can co-exist. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to be upwind of a kiter, when two other windsurfers are upwind of me, and squeezing me toward the kiter.

I've come within 2 feet of a kiter on a wave 2 days ago. I wasn't too worried, as I knew him to be a good kiter, and we were both in control. I cannot say the same for the "headphone wearing" windsurfer wavesailing on a 7.5, and ditto for slalomers who recently discovered wavesailing, but forgot to invest in wavegear. Wavegear means you give up on speed, but get maneuverability, and more control on waves!. Sorry folks, you can't have it all!

I guess I'm breaking ranks again by saying that some windsurfers are more dangerous as they wavesail awkwardly on their slalom gear, without full control, than some ripping kiters who were accomplished wavesailors or surfers, who can turn on a dime.

By the way, this opinion is shared by some other long-time wavesailors. Lots of knuckelheads in the waves lately!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: