myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Leo Carrillo 8/29
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtsb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Leo Carrillo 8/29 Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the reading for 8/29 was correct???
theq

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it probably was/is. I was out on an 85L board with my 4.1 North XXX sail. Most of the sailors that could stay out were on 4.1-4.6 sails. It is very windy there today, and has even picked up for a sundowner it looks like.
dabull1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Leo rockin' Reply with quote

As usual, I rolled in at around 5:20 to catch the Leo late shift. I rigged a 6.0 slalom sail to to run with my 89L Naish Hybrid since it looked like the wind had mellowed out from it's earlier nuke condition. Yikes, by 6:15 the wind had totally filled in again and the kid was hanging on for an amazing session 'til about 7:45 when darkness chased me to shore. I would say the sensor is probably pretty close because I've sailed that sail at 3rd Ave in SF at a 25 average before, and the terror was similar to today. It's really neat when Leo's graph blows the doors off Kanaha's two days straight!!! See ya'll manana! Bull
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly a ruptured ear drum has taken me out of the action for a few weeks. Enjoy the epic wind Leo sailors!
nealpar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now is not the time for a ruptured eardrum. Tape it up with duct-tape, like Finian (last name escapes me), the sometime speed world champion windsurfer. I remember seeing a picture of him in some windsurf mag competing with a taped head, b/c he suffered a ruptured eardrum earlier, but that didn't stop him from finishing the competition.

Based on the weather forecast for the holiday weekend, it may just be shaping up to be an EPIC LEO weekend, with nice south swell and sure thermal winds...

By the way, for those looking for variety or a chance to get away from the (very crowded) Leo, County has been going off lately. The waves are not as well shaped there as at Leo, but if you work it, you can still do 3-4 bottom turns, and there have been some monster sets rolling through there. Overall it's very challenging sailing, lots of variety, and talk about jumping opportunities... felt like an October day at Spreckelsville or Camp One....good wind, lots of jumps, some nice rideable sets...
theq

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking: That's a bummer about your ear. Perhaps you should think about backing off the volume from full-throttle on your bass amp? Get that thing healed soon, otherwise we'll have to thank you by bestowing the skunkie hat upon your head. Frankly, if you were out there on that big slalom board of yours yesterday, you'd have ended up with two busted eardrums, along with all that's in between. Even you would've had to have rigged a 4.5-5.0 for most of the afternoon to avoid disaster. It was truly on-the-edge sailing for me.

neilpar: You'd better watch it or a bunch of us might end up heeding your advice. I must admit that I was trying to keep my board in the water yesterday, despite being set up for jumps. My bones were getting badly jarred whenever I'd land from an involuntary jump. It must be these old battle-scarred knees and ankles, as it couldn't possibly be from my poor landing skills.
Wink

What size sail did you rig yesterday for county's conditions?
melpel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Leo Sensor Reply with quote

I was out 8/28 on a 5.4 with winds averaging ~22-24... sensor is reading pretty good. Intentionally skipped yesterday to recover (not saling enough these days...) - I see it setting up again today though (8/30)!

County Line? is that the next beach up near Neptunes? Anything else to know about sailing there? Have only seen one person out on two occassions... why?
nealpar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, County is the one by Neptune's Net. Very few sailors go there b/c the wind is less consistent there in the summer time. The fact that it's been good many days lately is kind of a fluke. Right now, the sand completely covers the rocks at County, so the bottom is nice and velvety, unlike Leo..... However, the opposite is true in the winter..........in the winter, while County is the place to be for the clearing winds, beware of the exposed rocks.

Yesterday, I was on a 5.3 which was perfect at times, and too much at others.... I'd rather be overpowered at County, b/c if you can't punch out through the breakwater, your mast may be history if you fall back on even a small set. Past the kelp bed, I could barely hang onto the 5.3. The wind was very onshore, which made for an interesting time riding big swells on the way in.

What to watch out for at County? Just need to be able to read the wind there, and time your entry properly, so that you don't get eaten by the shorebreak. Also, I always see something big in the water there.....yesterday, I saw some HUGE dolphins (not the cute small grey kind, but the big black kind), and right before sunset, one of them was chasing something at full speed....Kinda reminded me of the way great white go after seals.....OH, WHY DID I WATCH SHARKWEEK ON THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL??? WHY??? Ignorance is bliss sometimes.
theq

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Ignorance is bliss sometimes."

Which is exactly why I didn't pass on the rarely uttered lore regarding the "Gray Guardian of Bamborra". I shudder just thinking about it. It's ever too scary for a campfire story. If only there was a way to rediscover ignorance of such things.....

Every wonder why divers never go out to the Bamborra?

Rig big, look big, I always say. Shocked
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

County Line is fantastic on a decent swell and clearing winds, though often I sail alone there.

County line 12-27-06 3.jpg
 Description:
Me at County Line 12/27/06
 Filesize:  378.41 KB
 Viewed:  19007 Time(s)

County line 12-27-06 3.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: