myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Treasure Island Update
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Treasure Island Update Reply with quote

Yesterday I was at TI for a meeting, and went by the launch site. Fencing is up around the lot and all housing areas, and I saw soil being excavated and the areas being backfilled with gravel. Then in the afternoon I got the Navy newsletter which said they have slipped the schedule for completion until early 2008. They have found “some glass decorative buttons and deck markers...that contained low levels of radium...similar to what we be found in some .... smoke detectors.” This has slowed down excavation, and it looks like the fall is lost. Sigh.

Jim McGrath
madspaniard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the letter too. Yesterday we were about 8 to 10 windsurfers launching from 13th st. plus the formula guys that sailed up from Berkeley. Probably the cowdest day TI has seen this season yet.
jse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kinda skeery when you have to choose your sail and then sail around the corner before you see the wind or the windsurfers that are already out.

Steve
faradroka1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 to 12 of us out there today. ebb tide tomorrow afternoon, hopefully the wind will collaborate again.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if there is a way we can get some sandbags for the rip rap at 13th st. It would be helpfull especially when the tide is as low as yesterday. Some of us got minor cuts climbing up the rip rap with the gear. Lat season some people did the same in the rip rap by the boat ramp. Any idea where we can get some sandbags?
faradroka1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.esandbags.com if you can believe it. if we all bring two sandbags of sand, we'd have a ramp.

Also, we should all pick up one of these while we are sailing around extruded radium-226...

http://www.radecoinc.com/products/radview.html

The pdf from treasure island: http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/treasureisland/Treasure_Island_Development_Plan/TIHRAFSfinal.pdf

Quote:
In January 1950, a glass capsule containing radium sulfate powder was broken during a calibration exercise.

however, this site is further south of our launch. We drift by the old "Decontamination Training Area". That sounds lovely, eh?

radium 226 has a 1600 year half-life for those still reading...
SPQR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1600 hundred year half life, holy shi....!!! Gives a whole new meaning to not eating the fish and oysters.
buestad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I got approximately 20 sand bags from the Rio Vista Windsurf Ass. . They gave them to me after I told them that I was using them at T.I. We could go get the existing ones and use them a the bottom of 13th Street until they reopen the parking lot. Perhaps if one was going to T.I. during working hours the construction workers would let us in so that you don't have to walk all the way around???

What about sandbagging a ramp off the West end of the island??? They seem to have opened up much of that area??? Carrying you gear is a bitch, but would mean a lot less swimming???
mac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Sandbags Reply with quote

Be careful folks. Placing any material in the Bay, even sand, is regulated by both Federal and State laws that provide substantial penalties. Don't leave paper trails!!
SPQR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Mac is right. When the ASD boys suggested putting sand bags on the deteriorating shore at Coyote Point the rangers quickly pointed out they weren't even allowed to lift a finger to move sand or rocks around to prevent the errosion that has wrecked part of the embankment. All sorts of regulations govern stuff like that, unless of course you did it under the cover of darkness! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: