myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
GGB North Tower: Old Coast Guard Station Launch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: GGB North Tower: Old Coast Guard Station Launch? Reply with quote

Looking to get some North Tower/GGB swells w/o risking the shutdown & the schlog back to Crissy . . .

Is there a still a w/s launch in Old Coast Guard Station area? Where is it? How is it? Any tips?

Thanks.
dupont

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: North Tower Launch Reply with quote

The launch from the North Tower area is south east, across the Marina from the Coast Guard Station. It is a very steep rocky launch, the best place is marked by a pole sticking out ofthe rocks. It is incredibly precarious as on either tide push you can miss the return very easily and wind up having to schlog back to crissy and hitch a ride across the bridge back to your car. To make the return even more precarious is the wind can be completetly sheltered by the mountain near the north tower. There are no showers, cement rigging area. I would not recommend this launch to anyone really except the most advanced sailors and even then only if you live in marin and don't have $5 for the toll. I live in Marin and still prefer to drive to crissy although I have launch from that spot about 30 times.
If you do decide to give it a try know that you will most likely have to a swim 50 yards on good days to get back to your car. Make sure you aim below or above the return target depending on which way the tide is pushing. Last, there is a eddy of water between the North tower andthe Marina that on a out-going tide will give an extra 20 minute swim but at least you won't get sucked out the gate.
pshaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also recommend keeping an old board and sail combination for use here because you are likely to drop your board and/or sail on the rocks getting in or out. Mostly, getting out is the problem. I have seen sailors take off their sail and lift the board onto some safe perch on the rocks and then retrieve the sail. That technique has worked for me. It is difficult to get out with the sail and board attached, due to the surge and wind gusts.

If you are really lucky, you can sail all the way in to close to the breakwater when getting out, so you don't have to slog. The trick is not to wait until you are the last one leaving, since by that time the wind is usually dying.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im officially ending this forum.
aaron1234

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my friends and I call this area "secrets". It is a tough launch and as stated above only advanced sailors should attempt to sail here as there is a strong chance of getting sucked out the gate. I've had to schlog into the beaches outside the gate and swim my gear around the points to make it under the north tower. Then you've got to contend with the razor wire at the fence that cordons off the area under the bridge. With that in mind it is probably one of the best places to get out where the action is and is an amazing place to sail.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your talking about the SF side CG station. Its still there its now called the Gorby institute for Peace. Dont park there. There is some old geezer at the GFMS that will call the cops.
Rig in the grass next to the warehouse, where you park. Carry your gear to the water and its the good old days again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: