myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
BOARDSPORTS SCHOOL OPENING 2nd loc. AUG 10 at COYOTE POINT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windbetty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: BOARDSPORTS SCHOOL OPENING 2nd loc. AUG 10 at COYOTE POINT Reply with quote

Hi All,

we are very excited about our new location at Coyote Point park. Stop by this weekend to check out our new digs and have some wine and cheese with us!

Jane & Rebecca

BOARDSPORTS SCHOOL OPENING 2nd location AUG 10 at COYOTE POINT
-windsurfing lessons
-kiteboarding lessons
-retail store
-snack bar
-windsurfing rentals & demos
-open every fri/sat/sun thru end of September

coyote.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.96 KB
 Viewed:  21512 Time(s)

coyote.jpg

windbetty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike,

Along with getting the shop/rental space ready, we worked on cleaning up the launch a bit. The launch will get better and better over time. For now, we're catering to advanced beginner + sailors. We need to scope out the site a little more for beginner lessons.
I still believe that Alameda is the best beginner spot in the bay, but I suspect we will offer smaller group beginner lessons next year.
Also, we will be building up the rental fleet for all (adults, women and kid's gear) next season.

Smile
-Rebecca
mogunn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Kite Etiquette at Coyote...this affects windsurfing there Reply with quote

jccormier wrote:
we are very excited about our new location at Coyote Point park.Jane & Rebecca

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Please take time to inform kiters (and windsurfers) unfamiliar with Coyote about SAFE LAUNCHING AND LANDING procedures there.

DO NOT KITE OR WINDSURF THRU THE SWIMMING AREA.

DO NOT LAUNCH OR LAND YOUR KITE OVER THE PROMENADE OR ON THE SWIMMING BEACH.

Windsurfing and kiting access could be lost if yesterday's activities are repeated.
From the pertinent post on iKitesurf:
toeside wrote:
Today at Coyote 2 kiters were seen launching near the new Boardsports School concession. They both kited out through the swim area. They and a 3rd kite were seen landing from the beach over the promenade on a busy Summer Sunday between 3 & 5 pm.

Basic guidelines which until today have been followed by kiters at Coyote need to be restated.

Most importantly;

Be considerate of other recreational users of Coyote Point, especially on the promenade and swimming beach. DO NOT kite through the designated swimming area.

Do not fly kites over the bike path, windsurfing rig area, or in parking lots. This includes trainer and stunt kites.

Land only in designated landing areas, or perform water landing and self-rescue if necessary. DO NOT land your kite on or over the bike path as it endangers you and others.

Be sure there are no spectators, power lines, rocks, walls, or other objects within 200 feet when launching. Be sure that people near you know you are launching.

Kite at least 100 feet upwind from others and objects, and at least 200 feet upwind when jumping.

Do not jump over the rocks or in the windsurfing corridor. Stay out of the windsurfing corridor except while passing through on your way upwind or downwind.

Consequences of not following these guidelines:

1) Serious injury to other park goers
2) Serious injury to the kiter
3) The loss of kite privileges at Coyote Point

Respectfully, coyote’s resident kite surfer,

Scott Nix

Thanks for your attention to this.

YippieYo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Do you offer new Hot Sails for sale at this location?
windbetty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: new hot sails and demos available at Coyote thru Boardsports Reply with quote

yes, we will offer new hot sails and have many in our demo fleet currently. all of our brands are listed on our website and are offered at both locations. check out our gear page:

http://www.boardsportsschool.com/gear.htm

come by and check out our new shop at coyote!
Jane & Rebecca
Boardsports School
clem

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jane-
Welcome to Coyote Pt. (I helped you out in Alameda once, teaching.)

Thanks for taking over the shop.

clem
pau1karr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Great to have you at Coyote! Reply with quote

I stopped in yesterday and the operation and store looks great. I'm glad the void left by ASD has quickly been filled, and with great new energy!

Thanks to Rebecca for getting two rigs out for friends from out of town late in the day and staying late. They really had a blast.

Charlie and Cam can't wait to see you in the new spot.

PK
Sergio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to Rebecca and Jane!
They are the most dedicated, knowledgeable and friendly instructors in the Bay Area.
Great facility, super nice rigging and launch areas. The beach side is really well suited for beginners looking to improve their waterstarts and high wind sailing.
Outside, right under the SFO airport approach is, in my opinion,one of the best sailing spots in the Bay Area.
Last few sessions there have been some of the best I've ever had!
Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Sergio on Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,
Congratulation for your new business endeavor!

Do you plan to carry a couple of stand up paddle boards and paddles along with the kayaks anytime soon?

I was thinking to get a starboard SUP/windsailing board (http://www.star-board.com/viewpage.php?page_id=68 ), which seems a great concept, not only to provide an alternative for the lightest marginal days, but to train your condition and balance during the off season while keeping you in touch with the water.

But I wouldn’t mind testing some performing material for 3 or 4 sessions just to understand if I like it. Overall it’s more than $1300 for some bulky stuff (if you end up disliking it…).

There’s a lot of talking around SUP: I guess you should be able to get a couple of demo boards that would easily pay for themselves, besides attracting more people to your facility and to the sport.
Also, as for kayaks, wear on that sort of equipment is minimal and could be easy resold every so often…

Of course I could modify some old kayak paddle and test SUP on an old 160L slalom board that I can get for the cost of the rental… but that’s the perfect way for never getting into it!
We all know by now how the right equipment makes the difference…

Thanks for your consideration of this.
windbetty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bipbip"]Guys,
Congratulation for your new business endeavor!

Do you plan to carry a couple of stand up paddle boards and paddles along with the kayaks anytime soon?

Hi bipbip,

Yes, we have two kayaks at the location now. We are also assessing the stand up paddle boards and will be ordering one soon. I'll let you know when we have them for demo.

I too can't wait to check them out!

See you soon,
-Rebecca
Boardsports School
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: