myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Presque Isle Windsurfing - Lake Erie??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshCreek23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Presque Isle Windsurfing - Lake Erie?? Reply with quote

I am moving to the Erie area in a couple of weeks and I am thinking about buying some windsurfing equipment to bring with me to use at Presque Isle. However, I know very little about the conditions or popularity of windsurfing at Erie. If anyone can answer any of questions, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Do alot of people windsurf at Presque Isle? If so, where do they launch from? Sunset point? Do people typically windsurf on the bay side or the lake side? What thickness of wetsuit is necessary to do a considerable amount of windsurfing in the fall and spring?

Also, if you had to choose two sail sizes to bring with you to Presque Isle what would they be? I am thinking about buying a 7.0 and a 5.5, but I am not sure if these will be too small or too big for the wind condtions?

Lastly, will I be able to use a 133 lt. freeride board on the chop or will that be too much volume for the chop?

Thanks alot to anyone that has any info on any of these questions!!!
Very Happy
lakesailir17

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Erie is a spectacular place to windsurf. Depending on the location, you could experience flat water, big rolling gorge swell or even on shore waves.

You'll need a thick suit for a long season. I don't like cold weather much so I wear a 3/4 dry suit late October/November and early April/May. There are people who I sail with that use only thick wetsuits during that time of year.

As for sail and board size, it depends on your weight. I weigh 130lbs and primarily use a 5.8 and 7.0. Granted, the truly great days are 4.5 and 5.0 for me but these average maybe 6 a year at best. I ride 115 and 85 freestyle wave boards but also have a 65 wave that gets very few but exceptional days.

I'm not too familar with Presque Isle because I live in Cleveland and generally drive past Erie when I'm out east. There are much better places for waves or rolling swell.
wdsurf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i,ve been windsurfing on lake erie living in erie for 25 years. yes that board size &sail size will get you on the water the most.once you live here and see the wind conditions you can see what you need.i,m wearing a shortie wetsuit now,in a few weeks i,ll be in my 4/3,then my 5/4 then my6/5/4.sat i sailed on my 5.7/85 ltr. board combo i,m 200 lbs.my board quiver is 105 freeride/85ltr. freestyle wave/78 ltr. wave,sail 3.4 to 6.5 sails. Very Happy there are a handul of sailors here.lots of bay sailing if the lake is too big for you.can sail in erie in any wind direction.
Indekeu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yo jones....are you marshcreek23?
MarshCreek23

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Thanks for your response. The information is much appreciated!! Lets hope for windy fall on the Lake! I get very few good days at my current location in SE Pennsylvania (Marsh Creek Lake), so I look forward to a windy sept and october.

Indekeu...yes this is Jones...is this Jacques?
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Marsh Creek,

Does Transition Tom Hazel still sail at the creek? Haven't seen him do his thing in years (I've seen him sail in Delaware and Cape Cod) but hope he's still on the water.

Good luck on Lake Erie...may you have more wind!

MarshCreek23 wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks for your response. The information is much appreciated!! Lets hope for windy fall on the Lake! I get very few good days at my current location in SE Pennsylvania (Marsh Creek Lake), so I look forward to a windy sept and october.

Indekeu...yes this is Jones...is this Jacques?

MarshCreek23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

If by "Transition Tom Hazel" you are referring to the light-wind freesytler that some how planes on his 6.0m or 7.0m sail when it is only gusting 7 knots...then, Yes Tom still sails at Marsh Creek pretty regularly.

I have been teaching windsurfing lessons at the boat rental at Marsh Creek for about 6-7 years now and their has always been a myth around Tom that he hollowed his bones out in the 80's to reduce his body mass and that is how he is able to get up on a plane when everyone else is slogging around. Again I stress the word myth, but it is pretty funny to think about anyways.

Anyways, must have been quite a show to see Tom windsurf at Cape Cod and Delaware. Take it easy!
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's him. I saw him compete at the King of the Cape freestyle Pro-Am several years ago (he came in second, and at one point was railriding a wave board doing clew first helitacks on the rail...in 8 knots...on a waveboard!) I've met him in some ABK clinics. He's amazing.

Glad to hear he's on the water!

MarshCreek23 wrote:
Michael,

If by "Transition Tom Hazel" you are referring to the light-wind freesytler that some how planes on his 6.0m or 7.0m sail when it is only gusting 7 knots...then, Yes Tom still sails at Marsh Creek pretty regularly.

I have been teaching windsurfing lessons at the boat rental at Marsh Creek for about 6-7 years now and their has always been a myth around Tom that he hollowed his bones out in the 80's to reduce his body mass and that is how he is able to get up on a plane when everyone else is slogging around. Again I stress the word myth, but it is pretty funny to think about anyways.

Anyways, must have been quite a show to see Tom windsurf at Cape Cod and Delaware. Take it easy!

northernsails

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in Presque'ile, well right next to the gates, and that's where I learned how to windsurf. Beach 1 id the place to go and you want an onshore wind there...easy launch and no rocks. In the picnic area there are some other nice launch points for a south wind but the shore is a little rocky....big waves though (nice steady sets). The last option is the Bay and you can eith launch from the lighthouse or there is a set of public docks in the residential area (use to be a hotel there) that you can park and launch at. Rather then turn right into the camping area just go straight and it is after the bridge on the left.

I LOVE IT THERE!

btw a 6.0 is essential, a 5.0 if you are lucky and a 7.0 if you aren't!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: