myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Larger wave boards 100 litre plus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWE106

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al I say: Quatro wave 92L. I am (dry) 210Lbs and it easily works with a 6.2. Even in super light winds it get's me out and over the whitwater without any problem. This is a hardcore full-on wave board, no compromises, so it RIPS!!!
tsokat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know why US boxes seem to be standard or at least most prevalent on even larger wave boards rather than the powerbox or another cavity box which would at least allow you the option of using a bigger fin under certain conditions?
madspaniard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsokat wrote:
Does anyone know why US boxes seem to be standard or at least most prevalent on even larger wave boards rather than the powerbox or another cavity box which would at least allow you the option of using a bigger fin under certain conditions?

Probably for the same reason US fin boxes are used in smaller wave boards, they are wave boards and the US box allows you to set up the fin forward or back in the box to suit your ride for the conditions.
jam-1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madspaniard is correct--the US box gives you forward/aft adjustment that affects the looseness of the board.

Large fins negate the maneuverability of a waveboard--I'm not sure a large fin would work well in surf. If early planing is your goal, you might be better off riding a freeride or freestyle wave board with a flatter rocker. I believe more of those models come with a powerbox.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to John at Isthmus Sailboards yesterday.

Easy to forget how civil and cool the guys are in the mid west. Couldn't have been more helpful or have better advice.

Exocet has two full on wave boards over 100L, will post results later. again don't want anything unless full wave, no crossover.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.boards.co.uk/equipment/boardsearch.asp?ID1=3016

Exo Wave in 105L or 95L

no tests that I have seen, on Wave Exocet.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go4it wrote:
f2andme wrote:
Tabou 3S, either 97 or 107L, probably in

I have been thinking of the 3S 107 for my next board. Has anyone sailed one or heard of any reviews on them..

I have the 97L 3S, have NOT seen anyone on the 107 or seen any tests.

The 3S does "most" things well, some exceptional, only real wish is that I would have gotten the 87L instead, course this only applys since I cant afford to eat anymore
and have lost weight !

loopless

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear the RRD fell apart. I have had a wide selection of RRD wave boards and they all have been rock solid - I sold most of my old boards to my buddies and the ones still around are in great shape despite being dragged across the rocks in Carlos repeatedly.

I am not saying RRD is the best choice, but I know the boards and have sailed them a lot and they serve as a good example of the types of choices.

As an example of the distinct choices RRD gives you in large wave boards ( I can comment since I own both a Wave Cult and FSW).
You can have the Wave Cult 90+L with US fin box and a max sail size of say 6.0m2, or you can go for Free Style Wave, 102L/109L with power box, 7.0+sails, and flatter rocker. If you look at the specs the Wave Cult is really short. Depends on what is important to you. The FSW RRD's can hold big sails , and plane off in light winds while being not bad to wave ride. The Wave Cults can' t hold the big sails, and do not plane off as well, but are rippable on waves. The Wave cult probably suits the heavy wave rider with good winds, more than FSW which works great in light winds.
One friend of mine has a large 120L? Sumo - he likes it a lot.

Just my $0.02
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epenrose wrote:
I spoke to John at Isthmus Sailboards yesterday.

JON

MOTOP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go4it wrote:

I have been thinking of the 3S 107 for my next board. Has anyone sailed one or heard of any reviews on them..

Berkeley Boardsports had 3S 107 for demo. Ben said that having sailed both 97 and 107 versions, 107 was clearly not the best board of the range. It didn't perform as well as the smaller 3Ss. Something about uncommunicative looseness and weird float distribution. All this was said in the context of chosing a good all-around bay board for a heavy guy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: