myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
this crazy sport...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind doggie... its Chris.
jse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
I know this argument has been had before on this forum but Ill spark it anyway. I am an obsessed windsurfer, I admit it.. but I am also an obsessed road bike/MTBiker, and obsessed skier. The gear goes in the rafters in Mid September , which is the start of the prime MTB season, then when daylight savings time ends, the prime Squaw Valley season starts. Then around March after a great ski season, which is still ripping, the Tomales/Waddel 3.5-4.0 sessions begin. Its the California Dream, being lived by an idiot from upstate NY.

Boggsie

Yeah, that first rush when I strap on my snowboard and head down the mountain is great. But by noon, all I can think about is how much I'd rather be sailing. In fact, one day a few years back, I went up with Aaron and Gavin. We left at 11:00, and made it home in time to dump the snowboards, load up the gear and catch the afternoon blow at R&G.

Sailing storms is not for everybody, but there's nothing like a good pineapple express session at Alameda, Half Moon Bay or Berkeley. (No, I'm not going to say "I can't wait")

Steve
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve... I feel your love of sport. and I see it daily, like at Larkspur, yday.

BUT, days like yesterday at the Spur make me crave a morning powder session on KT22, or a blast down the tahoe Rim Trail. I get just as crazy waiting on line on KT22 on a pow day, as i do when Im driving 85 MPH past Nicasio Reservoir in March on my way to Grassy Point.

No offense, Steve, but driving to Alameda in January to catch a storm front aint gettin me jazzed up.

Boggsie
shitan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve and Carl,

You can launch at SB from a small beach located inside an abounded park at the end of Pacific Ave. You need to park a bit far from the park and walk your gear through what appears to be a private property ( a junk yard kind) But the path is public.
Take I-80 to Willow Ave Exit towards the water, fallow Willow Ave until you reach the rail road make a left there and a right on Pacific go on the overpass and turn left where you see the water, the park, the private property and a gate with a single bar usually locked.

The sensor is located at the shipping channel about 1.5 mile away, it could be light in the inside for about 5 min of slogging. The swell is nice on port and the wind is strong and steady.

It is Spooky there, you need company to do SB.

"Hibernation",
Once the wind season is over i loose the rush and the routine to see where is it blowing today. Especially after a week or two of nice and sunny days with no one puff of wind, the bay becomes a big swimming pool. I start focusing again on work...until the first storm hits...The good news after trying hard to sail (locally) in winter i can't get more than 25 days from Nov to Feb may be 6 days a month in winter time while i sail over 25 days per month now. For me that is "hibernation" i even put on 10lbs of winter coat...
victor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 seconds of planing is enough to get my adrenaline flowing and i think that's what the "addiction" is about. our bodies get used to it running in our systems and we get grouchy when we don't have it on at least a daily basis. i start having withdrawal symptons around the middle of sept. unfortunately, i hate the cold weather and crowds that skiing entails. fortunately i live in the bay area and was able to get quite a few sessions in the season started in april.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: It is a crazy sport and we're crazy for doing it. Reply with quote

I look forward to each season because I get to do something different. Unlike my wind obsessed counterparts at Leo Carrillo, I do have a life outside of windsurfing. When the weather cools off I get to mountain bike more and go dirt biking in the desert. When winter hits then I can't wait to strap on my snowboard and especially look forward to my annual trip to Mammoth, if only I could afford to go more often. Surfing is my number one love and since I now ride a longboard I surf year round from 1 foot to 10. I took up windsurfing just to have something to do after work when the surf is blown out during the summer months. I might get a day or two of windsurfing in during November thru January but I'm not looking for wind everyday like I do from May thru September, I have to make time for my other activities. There is never a shortage of things to do, just time to do it in.

I can't wait to retire. Laughing
carl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
I know this argument has been had before on this forum but Ill spark it anyway. I am an obsessed windsurfer, I admit it.. but I am also an obsessed road bike/MTBiker, and obsessed skier. The gear goes in the rafters in Mid September , which is the start of the prime MTB season, then when daylight savings time ends, the prime Squaw Valley season starts. Then around March after a great ski season, which is still ripping, the Tomales/Waddel 3.5-4.0 sessions begin. Its the California Dream, being lived by an idiot from upstate NY.

Boggsie

Chris,
Maybe you like the different "seasons" and that's ok, but I ask, why not do it all?
Not sure why the w.s. gear has to "go in the rafters". When I used to ski,
sometimes I'd ski one day and windsurf the next. I skied fanaticly in the 80s, almost every weekend. Even then I couldn't go EVERY weekend. A good ski season was maybe 30-35 days.
Now much older I just don't like the 5hr drive anymore (the valley must be getting bigger Laughing ), and the crowds, and the snowboard attitude, and more chance for injury, but that's another story.
As for mtn biking, it can really be done on the light wind days ANYtime of year. Maybe even add a few more sports, sometimes I even golf Surprised .
carl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:

No offense, Steve, but driving to Alameda in January to catch a storm front aint gettin me jazzed up.

Boggsie

Arrrrrr, those be some of the narliest days matey!!! Cool
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
shitan wrote:
Oh well, no much left in this beautiful season that started way earlier than usual, most of us will soon go to hibernation mode and catch up with life, LOL...

"Season" ??? "Hibernate" ???? Surely Shitan was talking about other folks
who fade away after Sept 15th and hibernate till May.
The "season" for us starts Jan 1st and doesn't end until Dec 31st Exclamation Exclamation
That's part of why transplants hate the Southwest so much. There's no seasons. Unfortunately, it takes me so much to get back into sailing shape at the end of the winter, that I might be forced to move to one of these generic weather areas to retire. However, Windsurfing or anyother activity done day-after-day for the rest of your life seems like a death sentance. Variety is the spice of life. I'm already looking forward to winter sports. If I hadn't been to a great New Year's Celebration at Winterland, I would be rather scornful of Californians for what the let happen to it.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl,

Here is my mental reasoning. Windsurfing , unlike skiing , and biking requires a set-up of conditions. When these conditions set up., I scramble to Crissy, Tomales, Coast , etc, and enjoy the rush. If I was on high alert during the off season, I think I'd go crazy, not to mention the window of opportunity is much smaller, and Im in ski mode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: