myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Flat Water in Ontario?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.MACINTOSH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Mega useful. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
sitka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything with a North you can go as fast as you want here in the fall, Norths can blow for days. Fan smooth. plus frontal excesses.

lat=42.3079078085, lon=-82.5163891056

There are some weeds but they aren't dense, all sand bottom, and they are dying now. So the later in the year, the better, plus warmest water in Ontario. If Sarnia/Kettle Point forecast shows strong North don't miss out. For summer attempts, I'm guessing Oliphant.

This is Tremblay Beach in the PAR (Pointe aux Roche). The shallow shore is 6 miles East/West X 3/4 mile North/South knee to waist deep. By moving along the East/West axis you can find the least chop (1 inch instead of 3 inch) and set yourself up for 115 degree runs. Ideal, I guess would be to have a German or New Zealand raked speed fin. But a tiny quality weeder could get you into the realm. No padding necessary, only seen two rocks so far. Average windy day you can set personal best on Freeride gear with weed fins, no problem. It has to do with the adbruptness of the depth change and constant nature of the delta created by the Thames river. Waves which are typical Lake style (Swell and chop due to the oscilations of the day heat changes) beyond the shallows get beat into submission as they try to find the path of least resistance, of which there are none, just a huge flats. In the fall, don't get shot by the duck hunters or hit their decoys. The are French, drunk, and love windsurfing, just don't be a goof, with loud music at dawn and avoid a dabbling flock even on your best run.
Kenjo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you would consider Buffalo, but Cargill at the east end of Erie is in the Outer Harbor of the city and has a 5 mile long channel inside of a break wall. In a SW you work your way out to the wall and can find perfecly flat honking winds. Large group of great guys from Buffalo sail here everytime it blows.
J.MACINTOSH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That breakwall at Cargill looks pretty amazing (I'm also amazed I didn't see it before on Google Earth). Where do you launch from? I can't find any reference to Cargill on Google Earth.
J.MACINTOSH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question about Cargill: how high is the breakwater? Thanks.
Kenjo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cargill is just before the Lackawana steel mills. We launch from a bay next to some large grain towers. On Google earth you can see a large great lakes freighter moored along side the grain towers. There are a couple of grain elevators to the south of the launch site that actually have "CARGILL" painted on the tops. The breakwall is around 12 -15 feet tall but doesn't seem to block the wind until you are within 100 feet of it. There is a sweet spot of flat water that allows you to just scream. The bay on the way out can be choppy and quite weedy in late summer and fall. But the channel seems fairly deep with no weed problems. Catch a day with 30 plus mph. and you will surely set a personal speed record. Just drive down 5 west out of Buffalo on the skyway, exit at Furman Rd. and you will see the launch about 2.5 miles down from there. If it's blowing there will be many folks sailing.
J.MACINTOSH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I think I've got it. What about the following as a launch site?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?ll=42.861239,-78.876638&z=17&hl=en&t=h

For this one, it looks like you can go in off Fuhrmann Blvd. and get close to the shoreline that is north of the little bay (which seems to belong to a yacht club). It is close to the middle of the breakwater, and the shoreline seems to be somewhat smaller rocks than elsewhere along this stretch.
Kenjo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very close. The parking lot and launch are right next to the grain elevators and great lake freighter. Just a bit towards Buffalo. The yacht club is the next bay towards Buffalo. If you get that close and it's windy you won't be able to miss the site full of windsurfer's vehicles. The beach is small rounded rocks. Great grassy rigging area, friendly folks, a rent a john (during season) and short commute to the water. Head there in a SW blow and enjoy the wonders of Lake Erie. The place is magical. Also Hamburg a bit more west is worth a visit for incredible swell. Let us know what speed you reach.
J.MACINTOSH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right - I think you mean:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?ll=42.840826,-78.859269&z=17&hl=en&t=h

I was just wondering if the other potential launch site that I identified might work too. It's a little more off the beaten path, but would probably work a bit better in a west wind - which I think would work here very nicely as well. I measure the upper breakwater as oriented 325 degrees/145 degrees. That means your ideal wind direction on a port tack is 205 degrees (SSW), or 265 degrees (W) on a starboard tack. The lower breakwater is 330/150, making the ideal wind directions 210 (port tack) and 270 (W) on a starboard tack. Note that I am assuming that the ideal off-the-wind angle is 120. I got this directly from Dave White, one of the fastest speed sailors in the world (see gps-speedsurfing.com).

I'm pretty psyched to give this a go - looks like a terrific speed sailing site.
Kenjo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't we just talking about where to park and rig? Once you hit the channel I don't think it matters where you started from. And with a great bunch of folk's to visit with while rigging, that know the local conditions, and a rent a john on site, not to mention ample waterside parking, and grassy rigging, I guess I never considered anywhere else. Due to Lake Eries southwest orientation, 300 miles of unobstructed wind, and the narrowing of the lake at the Buffalo end provides ample boost. You can't miss in a SW blow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: