myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anyone know the story about the memorial at Sherman Island?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r_g_armstrong

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Anyone know the story about the memorial at Sherman Island? Reply with quote

There's a wire frame memorial at the Sherman Island access sandbag ramp. Anyone know the story?

Rod
madspaniard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine that posts here said he was out there one day when a truck pulled over and some gasta-looking local guys jumped out of the truck and hammered down the memorial into the ground. It seems like the father of one of these guys died of some medical condition while fishing off in The Access area.
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully somebody can give you better information, but what I heard was a man on a boat died on the water and that is where they brought the body in.

The details I have are kind of unclear, so I'll give somebody who remembers them better a chance to post them....

On the filp side, maybe it is some kind of wind generating idol. After all it was over 40 mph yesterday out there Smile
aaron1234

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'm not sure if I know the full story but I'll post what I know.
About three weeks ago I was up at Rio enjoying a saturday session. When my session was over I went down to the parking area and was drinking a beer when I noticed that a crowd had grown around the launch area. I went up to go check it out and saw a windsurfer dragging a guy in from the river by his leg. This was a big man. I would estimate over 300 pounds and about 50 years old. A bunch of us ran down to help the windsurfer with the man. We hauled him up onto the sandbags and he had no signs of life. His face was completely blue. A woman at the launch attempted CPR to no avail. Soon after that a Sheriff boat came racing in with a defibrillator. The officer had some trouble getting onto the levee but he managed while a windsurfer held the boat off the rocks. The officer took a look at the guy and saw no signs of life. The fire department followed and shocked the guy a few times with the defibrillator again with no response. The man apparently fell off of his boat, it looked like a 30 or 40 foot fishing boat and I believe he was the only one aboard. Before the sheriff came to the levee they dropped off a crew member onto the victims boat to safely captain it to a dock.
I asked around the crowd to see if anyone saw or new what happened to the poor man. From what I got he had a heart attack on his boat and fell into the water and drown.
He seemed to have been fishing or out enjoying a nice day on his boat.

Thats what I know about the situation. My thoughts go out to the mans family.
Aaron
jordanwd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its rather cool that a memorial was set up for the guy at the place that he enjoyed and passed (fisherman or not)... If one looks carefullly - there's a small memorial for a windsurfer gal who passed in the late 80's- early 1990's near the launch at Poenish park in Corpus..it just simply says' .." she just sailed away..." ....
izitwindy?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron has it right...the man had a heart attack and tried to get to shore...too late...I heard that a windsurfer actually climbed on the boat to save it from the rocks and followed the sherrif to port...it was quite a sad experience to see a man lying on the launch sand bags....and a nice gesture to post a memorial....It has been an eventful year at the Delta with the whales and then this!

Has anyone experienced the crop duster plane buzzing the playpen area at the Access lately? He flys about 100 yards above the water as he makes his approach to the fields behind the Playpen Launch....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: