myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
No more rentals on Maui north shore?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benpfree1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: No more rentals on Maui north shore? Reply with quote

Hi,
I've been told by the maui windsurf company that they can't make any reservations for vacation rentals anywhere on the north shore of Maui in the near future.
This will apply to "all vacation rentals which are not in a hotel zone and/or don't have a permit".
Apparently the county is cracking down on non-permitted vacation rentals.

Does anyone have any more details on this situation or any inside information? I was planning on going in early october but now it looks like I can't reserve a rental Sad

I'd love it if anyone in Maui could shed some light on what is going on here and maybe some options for people like me who still want to come out.

thanks
Ben
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to go to Kevin Pritchard's blog site (http://kevinpritchardwindsurfing.blogspot.com/) and select "Island Style Vacations". In any case, you'll find his site quite interesting.
tthole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: North Shore Maui Rental Reply with quote

Ben,

Check out www.sprecksplantationhouse.com the house is owned by a family living on the SF Penninsula in your neck of the woods, and thus unaffected by the change. The place is fantastic and very reasonable property on the North Shore, I have stayed three or four times and love it.

Cheers, Tim
sarahL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: North Shore Rentals Reply with quote

Here is something from the maui news. Seems bad all around unless the county streamlines the permitting.

www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=32777
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugar Cove.
kurtmagness

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here's the deal. The County of Maui has a new admistration and they are going after anybody that does not have a B&B zoning permit. The previous adminstrations had a "leave it alone, unless there was complaints" attitude but this ones hell bent on ruining peoples lives. Most operators are off the web because the county is using that to bust people. Techincally, you need a B&B permit. And a B&B permit allows you to only rent out rooms in your own house, that you live in. The permit process is long expensive. Most people ran their business under the asumption the the county would draft a new ordinance. Now people are running scared. Lawsuits are being drawn up. It's basically racism against mainland haoles tourists. They want you only in hotel zones, nothing is really legal on the north shore. If you want to complain go to the County of Maui web site and email the mayor and all the councilmen. It sucks big time. People are losing their jobs, tourists are losing that local eco experience and are being forced to stay only in hotels and condos in Kehei and Kanaapali only. Sad Sad Sad

Last edited by kurtmagness on Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having reviewed the published article, it looks like the County of Maui foolishly wants to put themselves out of the picture, at least from my perspective. In reality, it probably has to do their income stream (bed tax or something of the sort) and successful lobbists paid by the big hotel folks.

A sorry situation in my book, as it ultimately means that I won't put Maui on my list of vacation destinations. I guess I will have to live on my fond memories of 6 earlier trips staying right on the beach at Speckelsville. Sometimes good things just can't last. I pity some of the businesses on the North Shore that found leverage in the guests staying in the local area.

Greed and lies by the few in power will always finds a toll in the long run. Just look at the Bush/Cheney administration. Very sad indeed.
simmer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to vrbo.com, there are over 25 listing in paia and twice that in haiku....
still plenty places to stay.
kurtmagness

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ask anyplace you book what their refund policy is if the county shuts them down.
jeff_bennett64

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact the Count of Maui via their website. I doubt that it will do much good, but it can't hurt. The issue is much bigger than windsurfing. Reality is that windsurfing isn't recognized among locals and government here as a very big draw. They're caving in to years of complaints from local residents about tourists in residential neighborhoods. Way, way back when Maui started promoting itself for tourism, it was planned that tourists would stay on the west side and south side - no where else. I've talked with a some of the owners of short-term vacation rentals here and they're obviously not happy about it, but the ones I've talked to seem resigned that it's inevitable.

I don't think the unavailability of north shore accommodations warrants scrapping a windsurfing vacation to Maui though (but if you insist that just means less crowds, more waves for me Very Happy ).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: