myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Turning The Hatch into a private park?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmarasco

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Amendment Approved Reply with quote

Bugaboo wrote:
Finally, common sense prevails.

Earlier today, the Gorge Comrades actually adhered to the objective criteria (as opposed to caving in to the vocal "anti" everything conspiracy theorists) and approved the Broughton Proposal. Guess they realized that the sky actually isn't falling.

While I have no doubt that the Enemas of the Gorge will waste their constituents' money on an appeal, this is great development. I look forward to the improvements.

Great news!
GarryW

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is so great about it?
kmarasco

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GarryW wrote:
What is so great about it?
It's great that property rights have been protected in the United States against the efforts of the elitists to force others to act only as such elitists desire.

After recent events, such as peoples land being stolen to build a mall, this is a small victory for liberty, and one that I hope to see repeated.
mickeboone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmarasco wrote:
It's great that property rights have been protected in the United States against the efforts of the elitists to force others to act only as such elitists desire.

Who's more elite in Skamania county than the Stevensons?
kmarasco

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickeboone wrote:
kmarasco wrote:

Who's more elite in Skamania county than the Stevensons?

You do not understand the meaning of elitist.
Quote:
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism Audio Help (ĭ-lē'tĭz'əm, ā-lē'-) Pronunciation Key
n.

1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

Just because somebody has wealth does not make them an elitist. The elitists are those who believe that their moral superiority gives them the right to dictate how others should behave. An elitist could be the richest person on the planet or some pauper walking the streets.

The Stevenson's are not telling you what you must do with your property, they are simply exercising their right to utilize their property. That does not make them elitists. Some might even argue that they are benefiting the community by providing economic opportunities that extend beyond their own self interests.

It doesn't matter if it were the Stevenson's or Joe Smith, the property owners rights have been preserved.

The reality is that, had it been Joe Smith, the elitists would have crushed his plans to develop his land and he would not likely have had the resources to defend his rights; so I'm glad it's the Stevenson's.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My beef is not with the Stevensons; they're just exercising their rights as capitalists. The miscreants here are the Gorge Commission hypocrites who denied similar privileges to the last few hundred landowners who wanted to move a tree or rock on their own property.

\m/
mickeboone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmarasco,

That's poor usage on your part (the definition you posted proves that). I was just enjoying the irony.

Any entity with the means to alter an act of Congress is certainly elite. While the regular ol' land owners that Mike speaks of can only suck that rock they want to move.
kmarasco

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickeboone wrote:
kmarasco,

That's poor usage on your part (the definition you posted proves that). I was just enjoying the irony.

Any entity with the means to alter an act of Congress is certainly elite. While the regular ol' land owners that Mike speaks of can only suck that rock they want to move.

Why is that poor usage of the definition? The Stevenson's have not asked for special treatment, only that their constitutional private property rights are respected. The Scenic Act is the epitome of elitism, that has served a special interest group over the individual rights of many.

Many individuals, rich and poor have impacted acts of congress since our countries founding, so I don't see that as persuasive. The more critical point is that most acts of Congress were created because of special, elitist, interests. What change did the Stevenson's get from Congress that you are unhappy about?

If Mike is Isobars, I agree 100% with his statement,
Code:
My beef is not with the Stevensons; they're just exercising their rights as capitalists. The miscreants here are the Gorge Commission hypocrites who denied similar privileges to the last few hundred landowners who wanted to move a tree or rock on their own property.

If you also agree, perhaps we are miscommunicating, as is not uncommon in a forum setting.

I think that Isobars is clear that it's not a problem with the Stevenson's and he make my point that the little guy gets crushed by the elitist Gorge Commission. The Gorge Commission caved to the Stevenson's, because SDS could afford to fight them. I do not hold contempt for the Stevenson's because they were successful where others were not. I'd rather see all individuals property rights respected.

I am also on the side of individuals who have been unfairly treated by the Gorge commission whether that be a Murdock home owner with a flat roof, to keep it out of the Gorge Commission airspace, or someone who was prevented from rebuilding their home after it burned to the ground.

So my support for property rights extends to all and not to a particular group or particular projects that I agree with.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all that, but I'm still very dismayed that it led to a freaking Disneyland at the Hatch. I hate damned near everything California, resort areas, and big cities stand for, and here they come all rolled into one.

\m/
kmarasco

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I agree with all that, but I'm still very dismayed that it led to a freaking Disneyland at the Hatch. I hate damned near everything California, resort areas, and big cities stand for, and here they come all rolled into one.

\m/

I understand how hard a change like this can be, I've seen other places change that I would have liked to remain the same, but I'm hopeful that it will be a positive development.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: