myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Turning The Hatch into a private park?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I hate damned near everything California
\m/

Uh, but wasn't windsurfing invented in California? Laughing
kmarasco

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

River-Lizard wrote:
isobars wrote:
I hate damned near everything California
\m/

Uh, but wasn't windsurfing invented in California? Laughing

Newman Darby was from California? Surprised
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newman Darby? Isn't he filed under "close but no cigar?"? Very Happy

"Californians Jim Drake (a sailor) and Hoyle Schweitzer (a surfer) took out the first patent on their Windsurfer in 1968..."

But I know, I know, kmarasco, you love to argue... was just trying to lighten things up a bit was all... just a joke. If I'd posted Newman Darby as the inventor of windsurfing, you'd be venting about Drake and Schweitzer... easy big fella, having a sense of humor won't kill ya! Rolling Eyes
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kludged up and sailed a wind-driven watercraft with an articulated mast in about 1951, in the Florida panhandle's Phillips Inlet. Drake, Schweitzer, and Darby are latecomers.

OK, OK ... I lay on an air mattress and held up a beach towel between my two arms. It was a bitch to point and get onto to a plane, but it went downwind real good. Wink

\m/
kmarasco

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

River-Lizard wrote:
Newman Darby? Isn't he filed under "close but no cigar?"? Very Happy

"Californians Jim Drake (a sailor) and Hoyle Schweitzer (a surfer) took out the first patent on their Windsurfer in 1968..."

But I know, I know, kmarasco, you love to argue... was just trying to lighten things up a bit was all... just a joke. If I'd posted Newman Darby as the inventor of windsurfing, you'd be venting about Drake and Schweitzer... easy big fella, having a sense of humor won't kill ya! Rolling Eyes

My response was all in fun as well. Inflection just doesn't post well. And, in this case you're correct, I would have taken whichever side was the the most fun.

But if you read wikipedia, and it looks like you have, it indicates that mistral was able to bypass the Drake-Schweitzer patent because of Darby.

Anyway, looks like a beautiful weekend lies ahead. Hopefully we'll get some wind and I can get wet for the first time this season. Or better yet, stay dry.
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I kludged up and sailed a wind-driven watercraft with an articulated mast in about 1951, in the Florida panhandle's Phillips Inlet. Drake, Schweitzer, and Darby are latecomers.

OK, OK ... I lay on an air mattress and held up a beach towel between my two arms. It was a bitch to point and get onto to a plane, but it went downwind real good. Wink

\m/

I know you invented everything, been everywhere, done everything before everyone else, and get there earlier and do it longer...and you even perfected the dulap. Now I find that you outdid those Californian losers Drake, Schweizer, and whoever Darby was...I stand, as always, in awe.

/w\
isobans

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:
isobars wrote:

\m/

I know you invented everything, been everywhere, done everything before everyone else, and get there earlier and do it longer...and you even perfected the dulap. Now I find that you outdid those Californian losers Drake, Schweizer, and whoever Darby was...I stand, as always, in awe.

/w\

In awe is where I stand, too... Mr. Green (awe-sh#t)
billgfc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have not been to the waterfront in Hood River for years.

There is now a walkway from the Hood River Inn to the Hook. the only gravel is a short distance from the suspension bridge over the Hood River to the waterfront. God forbid we walk a short distance on gravel. The waterfront well maintained and there is a lot of green from the Inn to the Marina Park and then from the Event Site, along Luhr Jensen and then the new waterfront Park.

People from around the world are using these areas and enjoy the experience. If you want to see a dugheap, I d suggest you will find many worldwide.

Things have improved a ton since I first started sailing here in 1980. Port Hospitality was great for a few years when we sailed here almost alone and is right now. give credit where credit is due.
gwandsh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymc4610 wrote:
The current Hatch 'overflow' is on broughton's property as is 'cheap beach' they have been kind enough for years to allow windsurfers parking and access. A lot of doom sayers out there....the Stevensons have ties to the windsurfing community.

Not exactly to the windsurfing community in general. Cheap Beach is not available to the unwashed masses, just a very select few who have some connection to the family. I mistakenly parked there on my first visit to the area and was read the riot act by some of those sailors.

Granted this is not a direct bearing on the attitude of the family itself. However, from what I have gleaned from following this "resort" debate for the past few years, I have a tough time thinking that their interests are anything but commercial and self-serving.

Old money makes for new rules. The way it has always worked.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I guess I must have bathed on the occasions I sailed there.

-Craig

gwandsh wrote:
Cheap Beach is not available to the unwashed masses, just a very select few who have some connection to the family. I mistakenly parked there on my first visit to the area and was read the riot act by some of those sailors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: