myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The current below the John Day Dam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billburton

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: The current below the John Day Dam Reply with quote

/Does anyone know how to find out how many spillways are open at the John Day Dam on any given day? It really has an effect on the quality of sailing at Rufus and the Wall.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I've looked at the John Day website for data.

http://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/perl/dataquery.pl?k=id:JDA

Look at Outflow Discharge (KCFS) Hourly. The times I've had the best Maryhill days for swells seem to correlate with about 200 KCFS. I've usually seen this outflow rate in June...though in June 2006 the flow was actually closer to 300 and that was way too much (board felt strange in all that current). This late in the year, when overall river flow is lower, you are at the whim of when they boost outflow during certain times of day. You won't see 200, so the higher the better. The swell will also depend on how well the wind is aligned with the river, how steady, etc. I don't know how to predict when during the day they may open up some more spillways though. But I think sometimes the flow tends to pick up in late afternoon or early evening. And also I think weekends are better for flow (less power demand so more water flowing through?). Tell us what you find out!
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at the flow for Fri and Saturday this week. Looks like it was 200 or better during the afternoons both days. Can't say what it is today yet since there is a lag before the data is posted. But I'm guessing this afternoon is good. Too bad I'm not there Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: