myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Incidents of a kiter being reckless or dangerous to others
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimoakes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Incidents of a kiter being reckless or dangerous to others Reply with quote

I would like to record eyewitness accounts only. Things you have seen or been involved in.

Please give a date and the place it happened.

On 7/20/ 2007 a kiteboarder jumped over my friend when he was waterstarting at the Hatchery. Is this a common thing for a kiter to do?

I went after the kiter to warn him that jumping over people is dangerous and is not done at the Hatchery. When I got to him he had just jumped over a boat, and his board blew off his feet nearly missing the guys in the boat, clearly showing how easy he could injure someone. A flying board like that could be deadly.

I said " You can't jump over people here" He first claimed he didn't see anyone when he jumped, then we talked it over a bit and he said he was sorry and he would not do it again, so I let go of him.

I talked to my friend later and he said the same kiter jumped over him twice! Both times he looked right at my friend in the water! Was this kiter trying to show off and make jumping a windsurfer a trick?

Kiters have the "right" to kite were they want.They don't have the right to be reckless. Dangerous stunts done by a kiter won't make them welcomed at the Hatch.

I have many friends who kite. I can't imagine any of them thinking it would be o.k. to jump over a windsurfer.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Rufus, circa 2005: Kiter launches huge air above other sailors, landing 10-15 feet in front of planing windsurfer. Kiter launches huge air above other sailors, deliberately kicking unleashed kite board at heads of planing windsurfers beneath him.

Confused? Same kiter, once or twice every reach, for over half an hour. He's very lucky most sailors were on shore due to crappy wind, otherwise the kiter's season would have ended right there, right then.

2. Not dangerous, but dangerously arrogant: Kiter pinches up beneath barely planing windsurfer, looks the WSer in the eye from five feet away, and expects the WSer to luff, or jump into the river, or roll up his sail and swim home, or otherwise bow and scrape as the kiter plays through. "Um, hmm, yeah, right, dude. That, or you go play in the other square mile of empty river starting five feet below us; can't ya see I'm already occupying this space and time and workin' over here, pointed as high as I can go?" Roosevelt, NOT a regular Roosevelt kiter, 2004.

3. Four kiters launching big air over and over and over just offshore, blocking the west Roosevelt boat ramp launch quite effectively for hours. Think everybody else gave a damn that they had a bud on shore filming them? (These kiters were NOT Roosevelt regulars; I've never felt at risk from any regulars there.)

4. Kiters routinely launching from shore in gusty winds, with their lines dangling and snapping barely over the heads of kids playing in the swim area at Roosevelt.

5. Turristas letting their kids play beneath the beginner kiters on the Hood River sand bar designated for kiting. Somebody needs to clue these visitors in.

6. Big kiter dood struggles ashore under his overpowered kite, hands the controls to his 100-pound wife, and runs ashore to rig down. Three guys tackle her as she tea-bags towards the big rock jetty 50 feet downwind. THIMK, guys. Roosevelt, circa 2003.

7. Barely visible kite lines strung tightly between trees on a lawn full of park users, at about neck height for a four-year-old. Roosevelt, circa 2002.

\m/
jmooney

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: wildness at bthe hatch Reply with quote

I was the first kiter out at the hatch on friday when the out of towners showed up and broke every courtesy and safety rule in the book. They were here for the Stevenson event and had some extra testosterone to let off. I left and went to the lower hatch because of the crowded conditions. Sorry about the wildness, we talked to the main guy later and it should be getting back to normal by monday.
Temira

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reckless kiters. Reply with quote

Hello,

I had two incidents happen on one day, July 6th, at the Hatchery. First, I was sailing in a heat during a contest and two kiters came blasting through the heat. That's irresponsible.

Second, I was sailing upwind of the contest and a kiter on a lavender kite didn't look downwind and came within 18 inches of me when he turned on a swell. The only reason he didn't hit me was because I started yelling at him when I saw he was turning. Good thing he didn't jump, or he would have crashed right into my sail.

To think, kiters get angry with me if I refuse to yield right of way. I don't want to be downwind of all those lines.

T
jimoakes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This video shows just how dangerous and unpredictable kiters can be.

The kiter in this video was not even jumping when this happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqJ3digBos0

gracie,
Would you give this kiter a shaka if he landed on you or someone you love?
repooc99

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Frequency, Duration, and Intensity Be Nice, or Go Home Reply with quote

As a kiter and windsurfer( I'm good a both and love them) it pains me to see this kind of post. I try really hard to follow the rules and not do things that are unsafe or for that matter make windsurfers uncomfotable on the water. If this guy is doing this kind of stuff then you guys have to talk to him. Try to get some video of this guy and post it on nwkite. He'll get his ass chewed and somebody will talk to him.

Jumping over boats and people is not a good thing to do. Just ask evil kenevil?

How often is this happening? How long is he doing it ? Does anybody get really pissed and go over and tell the guy he's an ass! Mad
blireef

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: doing tricks 15 feet off the sand spit Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad You guys who think that it's cool to do tricks right in front of everyone on the spit should get a grip.. No one wants to watch you and you put other people at risk when you do that. A good body check is probably the approiate response to such behavior. As kiters we should immediately stop this activity and protect our ability to enjoy this sport.. Talk to the next creep you see doing it, you will find that you will have a lot of support from the kiters on the beach..
rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were all overreacting until I pulled into town and saw it for myself. 100+ windsurfers and 3-4 kiters in a very small area is not a good mix. One dude was throwing massive air-dangling in between windsurfers as he floated downwind. After a while, I realized he had headphones on. Headphones? Are you kidding me?

It is all about respect and clearly these guys don't have any of it for others on the water. Their selfish, aggressive behavior does not help them or their sport. Even worse, is that the safety of others is being put at risk. I am not a local and I am increasingly supportive of responsible kiting, but folks around here need to speak up.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Frequency, Duration, and Intensity Be Nice, or Go Home Reply with quote

repooc99 wrote:
If this guy is doing this kind of stuff then you guys have to talk to him. . . . He'll get his ass chewed and somebody will talk to him. . . .
Does anybody get really pissed and go over and tell the guy he's an ass! Mad

I love your euphemism: "Talk" to him. The Dangler challenged a guy down in the water to "talk to him" on shore, to which the guy agreed. Too bad the Dangler ran like a scalded dog when the guy he had challenged emerged from the water . . . and emerged, and emerged. The Dangler thought he was looking at The Creature From The Black Lagoon, and was wise to run, cause this guy would make short shrift of The Creature. Damn! The public missed a good chance to mellow that boil out for good. He's very fortunate the guy chose not to chase him down; linebackers, even at 275 pounds, aren't known for lack of speed or endurance.

Yeah. "Talk" to 'em. They'll get the message.
mik377

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note of optimism to add for this topic-
It seemed like kiters at event site yesterday were at their best behavior, giving WSers a wide berth and being tolerant of windsurfers slogging in their launch zone. Did not see any conflicts or bad blood, better than past trips. Too bad the blonde WSer dude in retro equipment (dacron sail and glass board) was reeling off high speed jibes in the launch area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: