myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pt. Isabel sensor back on line.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Pt. Isabel sensor back on line. Reply with quote

The Pt. Isabel sensor is now working. It make take some time to get the bugs out. We need input from all the locals to get a feeling of how the sailing conditions correspond to different sensor readings. For example is it sailable when the sensor says 18 knots.

Mike Godsey
ERROR!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Pt. Isabel Reply with quote

Great job! We've been anxiously waiting and now here it is! How about asking around about a web cam?
faradroka1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work! we'll post our observations...
andydavis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: ! Reply with quote

Heading down there now!
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the update, mike. PI has been good the last week or so, and there have been lots of sailors showing up, even w/o the sensor.
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOW what do we bitch about?
faradroka1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just there from 2pm - 4pm on my 6.0 sail/95 liter board. I usually sail this rig when its 19-22 at Berkeley. Graph for this time period shows gusts up around 22. Lull and midpoint are always sketchy from the position of the sensor.

Bunch of sailors out there today, mebbe they'll chime in...

windgraph_ptIsabel.gif
 Description:
pt isabel wind graph
 Filesize:  10.52 KB
 Viewed:  15520 Time(s)

windgraph_ptIsabel.gif

johnl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed Isabel (out of Marina Bay) from about 1:15 till 3 pm. According to the sensor/graph, the average during that time period was 16 - 17 mph. That should have been a 5.7 sail with a 95 liter board for me. I was on my 5.2 sail and fully powered (overpowered some of the time). From my experience, that is about 19 - 20 mph average for me to get up on my 5.2 and sail for over an hour fully powered.

I measured the wind at 1pm using my "tube gauge" (I like this more than my regular gauge since it shows each gust no matter how short), and I got 13 - 19 mph with it hovering around 15 - 16 most of the time. This was at the ramp at Marina Bay which reads low compared to what is actually what is on the water. I went out and was powered up about 50 feet from the launch.

Oh yeah, just for comparison, I sailed my 5.7 yesterday (before the sensor went back up) and got 12 - 16 mph on my gauge at the ramp. I was fully powered on this rig.

So my conclusion is that this sensor (unlike Berkeley which typically reads high) reads low. But I thought the sensors are in mph and the forecasts are in knots? This would make a small difference.....

Oh yeah, I'm 177 pounds for comparison purposes....

Last edited by johnl on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed here today b/w 3 and 6pm. I launched from the far west launch at Marina Bay and sailed mostly near Brooks Island and in the lee of the sand spit, but I did make a couple of runs over to PI. Wind strength seemed to be fairly consistent across the sailing area. I would guess that the sensor reads about 2mph low... I think it was averaging around 20mph, and the sensor was reading around 17-18. I was on 5.0 and 100l freestyle board, just about perfectly powered... maybe underpowered in the lulls, but no real problem getting planing or having power in transitions/tricks. I'm about 170lbs (just weighed myself two nights ago).
Rube

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Isabel today Reply with quote

Yep, I was there too 5-6pm. Thanks for fixing the sensor, this is the closest place to sail to my house!

6.0 100L Freestyle board. Planing all the time, pretty wound up further upwind, it was lighter near the launch.

I'd guesstimate from my calibrated "seat of pants" gauge that it was about 17-20mph on the water with some turbulence as the wind came around Brooks Island making gusts stronger.

I'd say the sensor's about 3-5mph low as compared to on the water.

Cheers

R
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: