myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why does the wind shutoff like a switch?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the wind IS on a switch, and I have it. You may have noticed all those giant fans in the coastal hills, pulling in the cool air off the Pacific. Well, they're all connected to a switch next to my computer. I scan webcams, waiting to see lots of sailors having fun, then I flip it! Yahahahahahahaha!! Twisted Evil
sharkasm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sharkasm on Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring me dablond and nobody gets hurt.
rowena

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I am getting serious over at the Leo Turf Wars forum, and you guys are yucking it up over here. Why do I bother?

P.S. Enough with the dumb blond jokes...
dabull1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uaaaau!!!! Open season on Dablond and Dabull jokes! As it turns out the the windier spots are in the south of Italy in the Straits of Messina and on the beaches of Slovenia, just a quick Al Italia flight from Milan. In fact, Dabull has relatives not too far from Milan in Bern, Switzerland,the Dabull ancestral home ,contrary to the belief that Maui holds that honor. Could it be that our lovely Italian windchick would be a long lost cousin of Dabull? Place your bets ladies and gentlemen! Meanwhile, could someone please convince Catalina Eddy that Berkeley Marina is in need of his services?Aloha, Bull PS Enough with the "turf war" crap... you're going to have kiters wearing red bandanas and the W/S wearing blue soon..PEACE OUT!
nealpar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contrary to the topic opener's belief, the wind does NOT switch off suddenly. If one is in tune with the elements even a tad, one can sense the gradual decline of the top end, see the whitecaps fading, or see the wind slowly moving away from shore, or............etc...etc...etc... There are a number of signs to watch for. Just have to pay attention........ Otherwise, we'd all swim back to shore all the time. It's happened (even) to me, (Wink))), I won't lie:

You show up to the beach kinda late, or without reading the forecast. You notice not many people are out, (or maybe none), but you figure that you know better, and you'll just have an awesome solo soul sesh to brag about later..... You narrow-mindedly rig up and go out, and may even get a couple of decent runs lasting about 8 minutes. You sense that something may not be right with the wind, but heck, you just spent an hour getting to the beach in traffic, and another 30 rigging, changing into your tight wetsuit, and down the stairs, so you're not about to end the fun now.... You INSIST on planing, and INSIST on getting at least 45 minutes of fun to justify the 2 hour roundtrip home. You INSIST and INSIST and keep hoping as you scan the horizon, that the wind is about to "really" come up, and boy-o-boy, you'll be flying soon, and you'll be the only one having fun..........and then you notice that you are doing "the splits" on your board (front foot in front of your mast, back foot as far back as possible), to balance your sinker board so that you can make it back to shore. Then, a wavelet comes and throws you off your split, and it's OVER. You're swimming..., your flailing legs and splashing get the attention of the local shark community and some vagrant hungry seal......you keep swimming.........thinking how this too burns calories so it's still a workout .....but then think.... what if noone, but a tiger shark will enjoy your tight, toned body.....you start to swim faster, and look behind yourself every 2 seconds.......

In sum, one tends to say "whoa, wha happened, the wind just died on me", when one is somehow.....preoccupied....... with one's ego driven agenda......and therefore....out of touch with mother nature, or even "reality"?

Lesson: Pay attention, and don't "INSIST" against mother nature! Smile
sharkasm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sharkasm on Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
nealpar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What??? Yo Krasnoff! You got defensive awfully fast. What's the matter?

I'm certain that between the two of us, it's YOU who needs to lighten up, figuratively, and perhaps literally too.

As a Leo regular, I don't share your opinion about needing a 120 liter board, and over 6.0 sail all the time....Just ask Billy, Haim or other good windsurfers!!! And having to swim to catch the "good wind" outside? Ridiculous! You are misleading our international readership here.......Smile))

When you are swimming back to Leo because, according to you, the good wind is offshore, I'm enjoying said "offshore" wind, just upwind of you, at North Beach or County Line, or even downwind at Zuma on certain days, where it actually comes all the way to the shore. You see, I'm one of those strange creatures that thrives on variety...and doing the same old-same old...back and forth...all the time at Leo just doesn't do it for me. Hence, I have learned that when the "good wind" is a bit offshore, I can get to it by sailing from a different spot without having to swim to it! This is especially true in the winter, when the northwest winds bypass Leo, but come all the way full blast at County Line.
Come to think of it, I've never seen you at County Line. Perhaps that's because the waves there eat big bad boys like you with your 120 liter board and 6.7 sails.....Smile))) Love and kisses. (by the way, I'm a dudette, and Miss Dudette to you!)
sharkasm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sharkasm on Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
jp5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there, the wind died suddenly. Full plane going out, slogged coming back in. Game over. And if it wasnt for my 116l board it would have been swim back in.

Nealpar, take a pill. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: