myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pt. Isabel: reinstall crew arrives from east coast and gorge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Pt. Isabel: reinstall crew arrives from east coast and gorge Reply with quote

Pt Isabel should be back on line soon. Stuart flies in from the Gorge and Jeff flies in from Boston this coming Monday - current plan of attack is to reinstate Isabel on WED. Please pass the word and cross your fingers for us since this a tricky reinstall.

Mike Godsey
mike@iwindsurf.com
jwallace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Hallelujah! Reply with quote

Thanks for the update!!!!! Fingers crossed!

Very Happy
jse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is indeed good news. I believe I had one of the 10 best days of sailing in the bay yesterday (Saturday) at Pt. Isabel. Me and 4 of my buds beat upwind til we were way above Brooks Island. From there we we just tried to outdo each other for the next 2 hours. Racing, jumps, slashing. Formula guys were up there with us. Swell was awesome. Scenery incredible. I've never seen Brooks from that side before. I'm sure I missed a good one today, but I chose to go to the delta instead. It will be nice to have our sensor back.

Steve
andydavis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now if we could just sandbag the launch...
windfind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Pt. Isabel/Brooks Island tour and getting busted. Reply with quote

One of our favorite Pt. Isabel windsurfing adventures was to head up towards the Berkeley Pier from Pt. Isabel then slash and ride the swell downhill all the way to the west side of Brooks Island. Where we would take a break on Oreo Cookie Beach near the sea stack with the harbor seals. Then from there you continue reaching parallel to the long sandy beach over shallow water and near breaking swell to the sand spit on the NW end of the island. Landing on the beach you carry your rig across the sand spit and relaunch of the east side of the island. Then blast along the east side of the island back towards the Pt. Isabel launch.

Elizabeth and I used to launch from Pt. Isabel with some hiking shoes and food in a back pack and illegally picnic and explore this uninhabited private island. Until one day the caretaker caught us.

Mike Godsey
andydavis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Landing on Brooks Island Reply with quote

Illegal or not, the seagulls will drive you right off the sandbar during certain seasons. Fly right at your head and shit on you...don't necessarily expect an idyll.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Improving Pt. Isabel Reply with quote

I have been working on a small project that would improve the Pt. Isabel launch by excavating the bluff a bit and enhancing the existing beach. A general design concept was developing by the same coastal engineer that designed the kayak launch at the park just west of Marina Bay steps. I would love to hear from other Isabel sailors who are interested in pushing this forward. The rough cost is $100,000, and there is money from both the Coastal Conservancy and the Department of Boating and Waterways. If you are interested in helping, call me at 510-848-8071.

Jim McGrath
jse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Improving Pt. Isabel Reply with quote

mac wrote:
I have been working on a small project that would improve the Pt. Isabel launch by excavating the bluff a bit and enhancing the existing beach. A general design concept was developing by the same coastal engineer that designed the kayak launch at the park just west of Marina Bay steps. I would love to hear from other Isabel sailors who are interested in pushing this forward. The rough cost is $100,000, and there is money from both the Coastal Conservancy and the Department of Boating and Waterways. If you are interested in helping, call me at 510-848-8071.

Jim McGrath

Jim,

One thing I really would love is for the development to consider those of us who sail without booties. I've pretty much figured out the PI launch, as my intact feet attest to, but landing, sometimes people get impatient as I eech and ooch and ouch my way up the pointy rocks. So a sand bag approach that goes into deep water would be ideal.

What kind of help are you looking for?

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: