myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Isabella Rocks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrbucks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Lake Isabella Rocks Reply with quote

I'm new to the dessert ... from HR, OR. Lake Isabella rocks! Great sailing. Just starting to explore, but the locals are great. Lots of boat/jet ski traffice, but it doesn't seem to be an issue. Rigging on the sandy beach isn't much fun and there 'ain't no waves' ... but the flat water jibing makes me feel like a pro (even though I probably still look like an idiot).

Great relief in the desert heat and a short drive from where I'm living.

No available gear nearby. Heard about someone in Bakersfield, but no luck finding that resource.

Any other tips from locals? Wind site says to go off around to the east a bit for some better conditions, but really haven't seen people sail other than the area just 1/4 to 1/2 mile behind the dam.

Lots of kiters ... THEY get good air.
bowen1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi -glad you like Isabella. I think you're looking for Dave at Spin Out Sports in Bakersfield (661) 834-3451.

Sometimes the wind turns west and you can sail from the beach at the marina about a mile north of Old Isabella Road.
MRulla

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down in the Long Beach area and in need of consistent wind so I was planning on visiting Isabella. What time does the wind come up? What are the camping conditions like? Reservations required to tent camp? Any facilities available? Week day or week end better?

What size board and sail is typical on an average windy day?
bowen1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I would describe Isabella as "consistent". You can get your arms ripped off or get skunked on any given day. Check the last seven days for a guide - wind is strongest after noon. Note that conditions are currently favorable for Isabella - see the forecast for a description re. onshore flow and gradients. Generally, don't go to Isabella in a heat wave.

You can camp on either of the two windsurf beaches (first two exits off the highway) for a small fee, payable at the "iron ranger". No reservations. There are some bathrooms at both beaches -even some running water. Bring your own shade. Actual campgrounds are located around the lake - on the road to Kernville or on the road to Weldon. RV parks too.

Week days are better, but weekends are OK. Weekends have lots of boats and jet ski traffic between memorial day and labor day, but not a major issue. MOST users are knowledgebale about giving way. Boat chop is a minor pain.

Bring everything you own. Kites too if you like, but I'm told you should be on your game with a kite or have a rescue option.

Cheers!
geohaye

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Isabella rocks. A true gem for So Cal sailors. I consider it one of the greatest places to windsurf in CA...just plain fun. It's where I learned to plane for heaven's sake...and no need for a wetsuit when the water warms in the summer. 4.0 can happen at Is, especially in the Spring. And, I'd bring your biggest sail, too. In my case that was a 6.0 which was only good enough certain days because I was smart enough to bring a 110-120 liter board. So 6.0/6.5 and a floaty board for the lighter days and smaller gear in case it honks. You're in heaven.

Here's the link to the iWindsurf.com wind archives for June 2007 -- the full history of the wind last month on one page.... hmmm..YEAH Isabella rocks!:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?siteID=204&archiveMonth=6&archiveYear=2007&archiveSearch=Go&Isection=Wind+Archive&regionID=221&geographicalAreaID=0

George
lfsk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issy is best in late spring, early summer, or, if there is a Catalina Eddy like lately. It is VERY unusual to have wind there this late in the summer. Like a previous post said, don't go up in a heat wave, you'll roast.

Check out Spencer Thompson's site www.windjunkie.net. Its totally for fun, he and his wife maintain the site, there's lots of Issy stuff on there, as well as general So Cal fun windsurf stuff. He's somewhat of an amateur wind forecaster, does the "Fearless Forecast" for Isabella on Thursdays and is uncannily accurate most of the time. That said, again, its just for fun and for free so don't rag about it if its not right, we want him to keep doing it!! He's not a professional after all.

We sail Issy a lot, hope to see you there!
mat12t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Isabella Reply with quote

I have to agree with all of you, ISABELLA ROCKS!!!. I moved to L.A last year and spent the summer sailing at Cabrillo but if you like strong winds and warm water and just a great spot, Isabella is it!!.
I sailed there on Tuesday and I had rigged 3 sails, a 6.5 a 5.5 and 4.8 and I started sailing at about noon. By 4 PM I had used all three sails with a 115L board and a 95L board so yes if you go to Isabella bring everything you got.
By the way I find IWindsurf very accurate on their forecast of the Lake.

See you all there![/quote]
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah Isabella does rock

My 5.8 is usually perfect in the summer and I barely get by with the 5.3 in the Spring- have to downhaul the shit out of it. Could probably use a 4.0 most of the time haha.

if you want some swell go down to Tillie Creek when its blowing 20+ at the Ghetto you'll be launching off huge Rio Vista-Style (2-3foot) swell.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed Isabella once. Didn't hit any rocks. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: