myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Yellow kiter yesterday crashed at Leo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theq

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Easy on ol' skunkie now. He might stick to you like stink. Reply with quote

I agree that the wind-skiers, I mean kiters, are sometimes a problem at Arroyo Sequit. It wouldn't be a problem if they didn't take up so much "effective area" while enjoying their sport. The space taken up by a windsurfer is roughly equal to the a circle that has a diameter of their mast height. Let's say that this equals 15'. The space taken up by a kiter is roughly the length of their lines, plus the distance that they may travel during a jump. This might be as much as 90'+30-40 feet in flight. This makes the effective space taken by a kiter well over 100'. This is more than 6X that taken by a windsurfer. In a sailing area as small as that of Leo, this makes a huge difference. Add in the fact that it's much more difficult to figure out what a kiter's next move will be, and it gets dangerous.
Case in point: On a crowded day of windsurfing at Leo there may have been as many as 25-30 sailors out. Granted this might have been 10 years ago, but I'm trying to make a point. The point is that it was relatively safe to have 25 sailors at Leo. Not perfectly so, but manageable. Now imagine there being 25-30 kiters out a Leo. What a tangled, bloody nightmare it would be, eh? Based on my effective area numbers above, it only takes 4-5 kiters out to make it as dangerous as when 25+ windsurfers are out. Throw in the fact with the windsurfers' masts sticking up 15', thereby encroaching on where the kiters' power zone may be, it makes for tense, if not treacherous conditions.
Most of the windsurfers I know that got into kitesurfing, don't sail much at Leo Carillo proper. They go out at North Beach instead, where neither the sailor, surfers, or numerous sunbathers go. It's much safer, and less likely to lead to problems between the different sportsmen, lifeguards, or skunkies.
sharkasm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by sharkasm on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
shredboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Leo conflicts Reply with quote

The problems between kiters,surfers, and windsurfers totally shut down access to both kiters and windsurfers at Bolsa Chica south of Seal Beach. We had used this beach for >10 yrs. policing windsurfers to stay away from surfers and swimmers and then it became crowded and everyone wanted to have it all. When there were swimmers we launched and then stayed outside to avoid swimmers.
I suggest not using the lifeguards as they will kick everyone out to make it easy for themselves to monitor.
Each group should self police amongst themselves and let any newbies who show up know the edicate of the area.
fradge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Female Windsurfer Goes Postal Reply with quote

This woman is about to lose it. If I had a kite, I wouldn't get any closer than Broad beach to the south and Thornhill Broom to the north. You have no idea what this women is capable of. I heard she removed 2 toes and an index finger from the right hand of someone that took her wave.('Evil or Very Mad')
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must have been some bad PMS Twisted Evil
dabull1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on kbshred! It could be over for all of us if the lifegaurds get involved. Poleboarder? Teabagger? How juvenille! Bull
mikecole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbshred "dosen't kite leo yet" but is worried about sharing with windsurfers? Well windsurfers have 20+ years of history at leo and have a well defined agreement as to how the break is to be shared with surfers. Kites are blackballed from the surf break yet they continue to ignore it! The current agreement will work if the kiters will abide by it. If not, they deserve to be banned.

Mike
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys should all go to Huntington Beach (just north of the pier), the lifeguards are totally cool. We're allowed to play in the waves as much as we want.
sharkasm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by sharkasm on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
FredBGG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a kitesurfer and a windsurfer in the past I simpathize with you windsurfers at Leo. To start off you guys don't get as many ridable days as kitesurfers do so it must be doubly frustrating when someone is out there ruining your session.

I have to say that unfortunatly a few of the kiters at Leo including some regulars are pretty inconsiderate with both Kiters and Windsurfers.

One of the problems with Leo is that there are not a clear cut set of rules.
I always check in with the lifeguards unless kites are already out. Many times I've been told I can't launch so I've gone down to Nicolas Canyon to ride and then soon there are a bunch of kiters riding at Leo despite the fact that nothing had changed.

As someone else mentioned there should be some sort of sharing of the unique wave are up at the point. maybe a two flag system. When the wind is only kitable the area should be open to skilled kiters and then when the wind picks up a flag should go up indicating that its closed to kiters and reserved for windsurfers. Also if the lifeguard sees that there is plenty of room because there are few kiters and windsurfers then it could be openned to both.

I would hate to see a turf war at Leo. Hey once I dragged in a windsurfer back to the beach and another time a windsurfer dragged me in. That's what it's all about really, looking out for eachother.

I personally stay out of the wave if it's too buisy, but I do like to come and visit the windsurfers..... ride side by side (that's with me downwind).

Personally I think that there is more to be gained from wind sporters keeping together. Would be good for kiters and windsurfers togethter to meet with the lifeguards and work something out.

Maybe a windsports club should be started at Leo. There are a lot of spots around the world where a membership is required to ride either windsurfers and kites. The main advantage of this is that anyone that isn't local needs to join and be informed of the rules and riding patterns.

Well lets all hope for good winds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: