myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Yellow kiter yesterday crashed at Leo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsokat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: kiters on Maui's north shore Reply with quote

Lopakamaui wrote:
Actually, this year on the north shore kiters seem to be pretty much disregarding the agreement made several years ago about safe flying, specifically around Kanaha and the airport ! Why they are flying so near a busy airport is another isssue ... and when some errant kite brings down an aircraft ... ???
At the busy Kanaha break, even old timers are coming up and flying very aggressively with lines crossing near sailors everyday and there have been very dangerous interactions ... as far as I have seen, they are out of control... and it is time for the state, county, and or FAA to step in !

When I was on Maui windsurfing in late June, I usually saw about a half dozen kiters kiting Uppers and Camp One. This is the first time I have seen this to that extent, and we visit each year. No one caused me any worries, but they were clearly breaking the law. My main thought was that the local kiting community must not be digging it, because the selfish acts of a few could shut the whole North Shore down to all kiters in a heartbeat. I read that it has happened before and much hard work went into gaining the kiting rights that they now have on Maui. If this is becoming a chronic problem for local windsurfers, perhaps this should be first brought to the attention of the Maui Kitesurfing Association in the hopes that it could be handled privately and without involving the authorities.
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are the waves at leo good? Do you think it would be worth a trip from Orange County ride waves up there in side-shore wind?
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday there were no waves at all. But on a strong south swell it can get over head high. In those conditions it is worth the drive, but you will have plenty of company.
jerryraine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: kiteboarding on Maui Reply with quote

To clarify, here's a link of where not to kiteboard on the North Shore of Maui. Uppers is clearly OK to kite as it is more than 1/2 mile off shore. Kiting at Kanaha and Lower Kanaha is NOT acceptable. Kiting at camp one is directly in front of the runway so unless you are 2 miles out (quite a long way) that also is not acceptable. There is quite a big area between Camp One and Uppers, however, that is acceptable to kite in.

http://www.actionsportsmaui.com/asmf_mauikiteguidelines.html[/url]
kbshred

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a local kite association that could be given a heads up on this. All that needs to happen is a little common sense. When the wind picks up enough that you have poleboarders starting to come out it is probably time to downwind to zeros or go way north of the rock. It would be a shame if big brother had to be brought into it and kiting got banned at Leo for one reason or another. I don't kite at Leo (yet) but it seems like a good place to kite as well as windsurf and on those days when its windy enough to kite but the only windsurfer out is some guy up to his ankles trying to catch a wave it doesn't benefit anyone to have a kite ban in force. Probably a good idea to make an effort to avoid that.
actionsportsmaui

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Maui Kiteboarding Areas Reply with quote

The link above did not work when I clicked it. Try this link to get to the maps and explanations of the kiteboarding scene on Maui's north shore. If you cant click the link, just type in the address into your browser.

http://www.mauikiteboardingassociation.com/

On Maui there a few rotten apples that do not respect the rules. But most kiteboarders are respectful of the other water users.
There is mounting resentment towards these renegades and sooner or later they will get the message. The windsurfers are so miffed that they have started to form an anti-kite association called the "Kanaha Ocean Safety Alliance" who will probably lobby for more restrictions to kiteboarders.
This is what will happen when self policing and common sence fail.
Not to mention what ever happened to mutual respect , common decency, and playing nice.
A couple of bad eggs (kiters) are ruining it for everyone.
But on the same note, some of the windsurfers in that area are overzelous and territorial (like the one that ran over Flash a few years back).
Just try to remember that you do not own the ocean, turtles do!!!
sharkasm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by sharkasm on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkrasnoff wrote:
If other sailors have input on how to help resolve this, please advise.

Simple: Personal and/or legal pressure on the problem people.

If they're breaking laws, whether it's local restrictions on time or space or state laws on reckless endangerment, have the bad guys prosecuted under criminal law. If they've also injured or otherwise wronged others, follow up the criminal prosecution with civil suits. Criminal and civil laws exist to protect people -- essentially, to codify and enforce The Golden Rule. Press charges and demand the cops enforce the former and file suits in the case of the latter.

In addition to those, or if they don't work, apply ever-escalating peer pressure, ultimately physical pressure if required to protect yourself or others from harm. Keep raising the level of pressure until it works; at some point it will work on even the scummiest miscreant. Self-defense laws pretty much allow victims to employ whatever means are necessary to protect themselves or others, and we are not required by morals or law to wait until injury occurs before defending ourselves or others from harm.

\m/
zephr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - totally agree with the latest spate of kiting disregard ....

I have watched kiters come to the wave area on leo when there are no waves and jibe merrily about 3 feet from shore . Dangerous situation not only for windsurfers launching but also for the crowds watching happily from the shore ooohing and aaaaahing at the person showing off . All you have to do is picture a 4yrold kid on the beach getting hit by gear coming down out of control or worse . I hope you guys carry really great insurance .

Also - Right of way on the water is one thing - but what about the strings? How far down wind does a windsurfer have to go in order to be safely regarding the right of way rule . I'm sorry - but with so much room between leo and zeroes there is just no reason to come up nearer the break if there are no waves - unless vanity beckons .

Obey the rules at leo . The kite group there are generally respectable and nice . But just like the few windsurfers who keep insisting on cutting into the wave line up that is designated for surfers we have the few guys that keep acting like idiots from the kiter group . I say both groups get together and warn the idiots and fools from both sides . A unified approach would then prevent the ban that may happen at leo for ALL wind sports .

That - or someone should invent a sports drink that has common sense mixed in . Rolling Eyes

Last edited by zephr on Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
tsokat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Maui Kiteboarding Areas Reply with quote

actionsportsmaui wrote:
The link above did not work when I clicked it. Try this link to get to the maps and explanations of the kiteboarding scene on Maui's north shore. If you cant click the link, just type in the address into your browser.

http://www.mauikiteboardingassociation.com/

On Maui there a few rotten apples that do not respect the rules. But most kiteboarders are respectful of the other water users.
There is mounting resentment towards these renegades and sooner or later they will get the message. The windsurfers are so miffed that they have started to form an anti-kite association called the "Kanaha Ocean Safety Alliance" who will probably lobby for more restrictions to kiteboarders.
This is what will happen when self policing and common sence fail.
Not to mention what ever happened to mutual respect , common decency, and playing nice.
A couple of bad eggs (kiters) are ruining it for everyone.
But on the same note, some of the windsurfers in that area are overzelous and territorial (like the one that ran over Flash a few years back).
Just try to remember that you do not own the ocean, turtles do!!!

It appears from the map on the MKBA site that the breaks (designated on the map as "breakers") at both uppper and lower Kanaha are off limits to kiteboarding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: