myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
OLD GEEZERS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rigatoni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those old guys are kind of a drag pretty much everywhere but my last couple of trips to the Gorge was like visiting a nursing home. I don't know what to tell you other than as a guy in his mid-30's, a lot of cool windsurfing people my age moved on and not a lot of new people got pulled into the sport in the last 10 years. You are kind of left with the nerdy/over the hill loser crowd (see the other posts here) and it is the reason I tend to travel and sail with my crew rather than hit these places solo. If you are ever down at Crissy Field in SF, I like to think our crowd has a little bit more to offer.

As far as the kiting folks thinking they are somehow cool, I'll let you formulate your own judgement.

I will be in the Gorge next week and keep an eye out for unattractive morons pestering solo women.
repooc99

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: You need to start kiteboarding! Reply with quote

The average age of kiteboarding is right around 30's!

I'm 43 and I'm an old kiteboarder!

Go to the event site and check it out.
tweeky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capicella wrote:
on and not a lot of new people got pulled into the sport in the last 10 years.

Not true. Windsurfing has been growing lately. Last time at Viento I saw a group of teenagers all sailing together, but, uh, I don't think they'll want to hang out with a thirty-something guy. You see, to them, you're the old geezer.
1windsnob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: OLD GEEZERS Reply with quote

darcystevenson wrote:
Does anyone know where to find a younger crowd to windsurf with at The Gorge?

I've been sailing from Stevenson to Maryhill and it seems to be all old and disgusting men hitting on me day in day out. No women or men really my age.

Where are all the good looking people at?

Try the Hatchery, Dougs or the Wall
billgfc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't help my age, we all grow old some day. In my 20's Mick Jagger said: never trust anyone over 30, lol:

but also add event site to younger crowd, along with families and kids, as for young depends on whther you are in teens 20 's etc wwhre to find your age group

good luck
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the great things about WSing (and skiing) has always been that no one gives a hoot how old another WSer is. It's about the sport, not age, so a tableful of people having a good time together on shore may range from 20 to 70 in age. Both extremes have conversation of interest to the other, and many geezers can sail rings around many kids, especially when it comes to daily TOW.

Now being hit on by geezers, or finding people your own age to date . . . that's a whole different problem.

\m/
earthsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take up Kite Boarding....
anhkancook

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: old geezers Reply with quote

hey.. there are plenty of cool young people at heart... ive been in the gorge for over 4 years and have found that some of the people that appear old, are actually some of the youngest healthiest people you may find in the world...
WMP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
It's about the sport, not age \m/

I agree 100% dude, however you need to understand that's not true for most younger folks. Instead, it's all about fitting in with a peer group. Seems to be a written proverb somewhere these days that claims life can't be cool without peers your own age. That's fine.... to each his/her own. OP'er should not judge older folks as "geezers" because most have got more experience and skills than she does, and she may need to be rescued by one of 'em when she sails out past the kiddie pool.
ggbggb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: capicella Reply with quote

capicella wrote:
Those old guys are kind of a drag pretty much everywhere...As far as the kiting folks thinking they are somehow cool, I'll let you formulate your own judgement....I will be in the Gorge next week and keep an eye out for unattractive morons pestering solo women.

Lighten up Ohio; you're a drag.
Some minor points:
1. Regarding your use of English. Easy does it. English can be fun, but she's tricky. Where do you think the expression "put some English on it" came from? Try putting together some simple sentences first, subject & verb, maybe an adjective if you want to get fancy. Think it through and double check your work. Can you yourself understand what it is your trying to express? Stay on task.
I think what you were trying to express was the concept that you are willing to let a lady "formulate her own opinion". This is bold, chivalrous & quite noble. Good for you.

2. Regarding Kites. Do I detect a hint of frustration? Yes? Bingo? I thought so. Frustrated about being an RTB (routine tea bagger)? Don't be so hard on yourself. It takes all kinds of "folks." Look, it's OK; breathe. Kiting is not for everyone. Remember, it's our differences that make us such a wonderful & interesting species.

If you really want to give it another go.... well, Lets get you back out on the water.
Start by learning to relax, letting go of the fear and enjoying the process...its all process. Keep your focus of attention on your breath and use it to center yourself and let go of the fear. You'll get it...We're all pulling for you.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 2 of 19

Jump to: