myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Please take this survey if you kiteboard and windsurf.Thanks
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
repooc99

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Please take this survey if you kiteboard and windsurf.Thanks Reply with quote

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=cByMMUpR8j7F_2bFUHBo3KpQ_3d_3d

Hi,
I'm doing a little bit of research on folks who kite and windsurf. This is a short 10 question survey, free and I can only ask 10 questions, at survey monkey.com.

I've got 27 surveys so far and hope to get more.

I will post results as soon as I get a few more takers.

Thanks, Very Happy
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my survey:
1. What does your survey add to the endless discussions of late?
2. How much money do you make for each hit?
3. How much spam and cookies do we pick up from the site?

Sorry to seem so cynical, but this is the Internet.

\m/
dennis1916

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: survey Reply with quote

I took your survey and agree to Isobars to how will this end the debate. Another thing to do is to ask for questions to put out there and have both sides giving input to questions. I have a survey monkey account and can get a longer survey out to the public. It may as well be world wide and have a question, What part of the world do you live/sail/kite?

A code should be set for on the water ettiquette when sailing for both parties to follow so everyone can play nice together.

The other option may be to stick to things that we can control like the middle east, oh, er, bad example.
ascott72

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: any suggestions out there? Reply with quote

I took the survey. I'm not sure those questions add much to the debate. What we need to do is solicit constructive suggestions on how the two can coexist.

For example, windsurfers should try to stay upwind of kiters so as not to get caught in their lines. And kiters stay downwind of windsurfers. That is an obvious one.

Another one. I have problems seeing kite lines. since that is what windsurfers have to avoid, it would be nice if the lines were made more visible. I would like to suggest that kiters put some kind of tassle or streamer 1/3 of the way up their lines. Just an inch or two of brightly colored tape would work fine.

Any other suggestions out there?
repooc99

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: I make nothing! I'm just trying to get a grip on the info Reply with quote

I'm not gaining anything from this survey. My motive is to get some info to help with how we can cooexist on the water.

Windsurfer's concers and Kiter's concerns and then maybe a good best practices for passing etiquette etc..

I think the on line forums are not very productive for creating a real list of good practices.

We may have to have some type of meeting to really put it together.

The survey is a start.

Thanks,
Ron Very Happy
repooc99

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: I make nothing! I'm just trying to get a grip on the info Reply with quote

I'm not gaining anything from this survey. My motive is to get some info to help with how we can cooexist on the water.

Windsurfer's concers and Kiter's concerns and then maybe a good best practices for passing etiquette etc..

I think the on line forums are not very productive for creating a real list of good practices.

We may have to have some type of meeting to really put it together.

The survey is a start.

Thanks,
Ron Very Happy
tweeky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: any suggestions out there? Reply with quote

ascott72 wrote:
For example, windsurfers should try to stay upwind of kiters so as not to get caught in their lines. And kiters stay downwind of windsurfers. That is an obvious one.

Don't take this personally, but this is just such a naive statement. As someone already pointed out in a different thread kiteboarding has essentially been marketed as a punky, "screw you, I do what I want" sport. Take the latest Slingshot promo video with that Rueben kid deliberately going in super close to the Event Site beach and doing jumps. They even shot a close-up of the sign "no kiteboarding at this site" and the "rad dude" from Slingshot says "Rueben here at the Event Site, just stiring things up because that's what he likes to do". Its this kind of crap that is the problem.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And even if everyone on the water were Mother Theresa clones on Valium . . .
1. How do we get them all to "meet"?
2. How do we get them to agree on any set of rules?
3 How do we disseminate the rules to the people who didn't attend the rules meeting?
4. How do we handle rule-breakers?
5. Define "upwind". Is a sailor at Swell City "upwind" of a sailor at the Hatchery?

\m/
tweeky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly.
jjamesonn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record I kite and windsurf.
I've heard from my friends many times about how close my lines are to them while they are windsurfing, when in reality, they were VERY far above them. I think a lot of windsurfers have a perception that the lines are close. Still, when I'm kiting, even I get a little nervous in and about a bunch of other kiters and try to stay clear of them.

However, in spite of all the hoopla, I think the most dangerous thing to windsurfers is other windsurfers. I saw two collisions at high speed off the Event site two weeks ago between windsurfers. People came off the water and were apologizing for trashing each other's equipment. If a kiter had run into them they probably would have pressed charges.

Hey, it's all good as long as we respect each other. We're not adversaries. I do think most kiters respect windsurfers and try to steer clear; but there is that minority that are either clueless or assholes.

J

J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: