myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sailing sites & conditions in Tampa, Florida?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eliot10

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Sailing sites & conditions in Tampa, Florida? Reply with quote

I'll be in Tampa for a few days the first week of August. Does anybody know the weather conditions for the month of August? is there any local rental shops near the Bay?
I enjoy sailing new places, no matter the conditions or style of sailing. I live in Los Angeles and I'll be attending a wedding the first week of August in Tampa. I wouldn't mind a couple of sessions on any kind of conditions.

Whoo Nunez
mo12

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aug weather is HOT, HUMID and usually has afternoon thunderstorms.
There is a rental shop (and the best sailing spot in the US) at the Dunedin Causeway, but they only rent little trimarans... There are better rentals availabe (16' Catamaran - Hobie Getaway $40 (2 hr min. & practical skills test req.) at the Clearwater Community Sailing Center (clearwatercommunitysailing.org), but you must become a member (Individual Seasonal Membership: $225 )
winds55

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say but do not expect much wind in August unless there is a tropical storm. A good place to check out is North Beach Windsurfing. http://www.nbwindsurfing.com/ for rentals and lessons. Britt who runs it can fill you in on any details. Good luck
jibe-it

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliot
I have a condo in Indian Shores and I can sail in the Gulf or on the Bay as there are many choices. There is a shop to rents GOOD equipment that is 3 miles from the water- Watersports West.
http://watersportswest.com
Steve is a nice guy and will tell you the best places to go depending on conditions.
Comments are correct about the summer, but there is always the chance of a storm-remember it is hurricane season! I sailed after TS Barry passed over when I was down last week and had an awesome 5 hours on 5.0. Next day was a 6.4 for 3 hours in the am!
You never know! Laughing
Monique
[/img]

windsurfing Florida.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.71 KB
 Viewed:  25354 Time(s)

windsurfing Florida.jpg

Terryg11

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you sail Formula at Fred Howard Park or is it all way to shallow?

I'm going out there one of these days, I think...
jibe-it

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously depends on the tide. Check before you go. If you use a formula board, buy a high quality swept weed fin or you'll be spending more time off the board (removing weeds) than on!
FH is a fun place (hero jibes and speed runs) when it honks, if you have the right set up.
Enjoy.
Terryg11

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not likely to go buy a weed fin just for a visit. Weeds are a problem only in summer? I know if you go way out it's sailable right , or are there weeds there too ? Is another location better near there ?
jibe-it

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeds are an issue year round to some degree. Yes, If you go way out, you should be ok. But if a storms comes through the day before, you'll encounter patches -worse closer to shore as you would expect.
Go south (see map) and launch directly on the Gulf and you should be fine-depends on your comfort level sailing out there.
Have fun!
jibe-it

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeds are an issue year round to some degree. Yes, If you go way out, you should be ok. But if a storms comes through the day before, you'll encounter patches -worse closer to shore as you would expect.
Go south (see map) and launch directly on the Gulf and you should be fine-depends on your comfort level sailing out there.
Have fun!
tsokat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are the best times of the year to sail in the Tampa Area? My sis has a second home on Anna Maria Island and I keep threatening to visit to escape west coast winter rain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: