myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coyote Point launch status?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geohaye

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Coyote Point launch status? Reply with quote

Anybody have photos of the launch ramp as it currently looks? Maureen Gunn and others have been trying to raise awareness about this issue. It does not look like San Mateo County has money to do anything about this for now. But some photos would be good to let us know what we are going to be contending with the next time we hit Coyote.

hunt.jpg
 Description:
Photo by Hunt Hide -- taken 4 years ago
 Filesize:  66.17 KB
 Viewed:  22575 Time(s)

hunt.jpg

mogunn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Coyote Point launch status? Reply with quote

Geohaye wrote:
Anybody have photos of the launch ramp as it currently looks? Maureen Gunn and others have been trying to raise awareness about this issue. It does not look like San Mateo County has money to do anything about this for now. But some photos would be good to let us know what we are going to be contending with the next time we hit Coyote.

Here ya go George...

more shots of the damage here:
http://www.teamcoyote.net/2007Coyote/gallery/ramp_damage07/photos.html

mo

mogunn4741.jpg
 Description:
Center windsurf launch at Coyote now fenced off
 Filesize:  134.03 KB
 Viewed:  22552 Time(s)

mogunn4741.jpg

tsokat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks pretty bad. Do you think there is anyway this could be repaired by volunteers or is it such a big project that it will need to be done by a public entity?
mogunn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as repairs go it's a huge undertaking. The damage and compromised access spans the entire length of the beach promenade. There are small sections where getting in and out are less dangerous at low tide, but when the water is high you can't see the breaks and openings in the armor flex. There are many places where a misstep could result in injury. The park has fenced off the worst of it, but that isn't a fix.

I'd like to see a temporary solution, maybe sandbags like at SI, since the season's already started and the money's not available for permanent repairs.

Please voice your opinion to the San Mateo County Park and Rec Dept.

ParksandRecreation@co.sanmateo.ca.us

mo
jimbeall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: sailing @ Coyote? Reply with quote

So what is the deal with sailing? Does this mean reduced number of sailors? Is part of the parking lot blocked off? It sounds like sailors will be funneled through the openings? A few more pic's could up date us, please. Sad Does this really mean small hassle ( have to do a little more of a walk to the water) or a big deal or not an issue?
gerritt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not that big a deal, but needs to be addressed long term. I've sailed there since the first of the year and I go with bare feet. The rubber "runner" has been better secured and you can access the beach from either side of the chain link fence. If you've got booties, it should be no problem. If you are really worried take your board and sail apart and just attach them on the beach. High tide issues will always be fun.

Anyone remember the beautiful beach we used to have in the 80's? It ran right up to the path and you could walk directly into the water without negotiating any other than a four inch curb. Anyone got any pictures from then?
mogunn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: sailing @ Coyote? Reply with quote

jimbeall wrote:
So what is the deal with sailing? Does this mean reduced number of sailors? Is part of the parking lot blocked off? It sounds like sailors will be funneled through the openings? A few more pic's could up date us, please. Sad Does this really mean small hassle ( have to do a little more of a walk to the water) or a big deal or not an issue?

Jim,

Coyote isn't crowded very often any more and no part of the parking lot is blocked or restricted in any way. You can launch from any area that's not fenced off if you can get up and down the ramp. At low tide it's easier because you can part out your stuff. At higher tides when the water covers part of the armor flex ramp, it can be difficult to see where the breaks and holes are. The collapsed ramp makes getting in and out a challenge at best and dangerous at worst-case. If you wear booties you can probably get better traction, but the ramp can be very slippery in spots and is increasingly verticle rather than a gradual slope.

I posted several pics last season
http://www.teamcoyote.net/2006Coyote/gallery/gallery_ramp_damage/index.html

and a new series earlier this month
http://www.teamcoyote.net/2007Coyote/gallery/ramp_damage07/photos.html

To fully appreciate the scope of it you should go to Coyote and check it out in person.

mo
mogunn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
Anyone remember the beautiful beach we used to have in the 80's? It ran right up to the path and you could walk directly into the water without negotiating any other than a four inch curb. Anyone got any pictures from then?

I'm not sure what the actual vintage of this shot from the baytrails site is, but the old launch looked like this. Yes, I know this is the swimming area
Confused

mo

001shoreline.jpg
 Description:
old Coyote launch
 Filesize:  38.1 KB
 Viewed:  22265 Time(s)

001shoreline.jpg

bowen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Coyote Reply with quote

Be VERY careful voicing complaints to the parks dept warning of potential injury. Someone will start thinking about liability issues and shut the whole windsurfing area down. I suggest we leave it alone and sail. Even as it is now, spots like Embassy Suites, Genetech, the Delta etc make Coyote's launch look pretty good.
jimbeall

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Coyote Reply with quote

Thats for the up date. I live about 4 hr drive away, and only sail the Bay 6-10 days a summer. I sail my local lake, Black Butte, (mostly Rio, and a month in Maui, July). I agree with previous post don't bring up liability. Coyote is a great sailing site. Like so many of us, I have had many sessions at Coyote that I treasure, steady wind, jib after jib, jumps and plenty of room. Actually I really need one now!!

What would be great is to have are a few ramps like 3rd Ave ( an gently slopped) , and since I'm dreaming, grass rigging areas and water hoses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: