myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Another Pt Isabel Forecasting failure
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andydavis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Another Pt Isabel Forecasting failure Reply with quote

Mein godt in heaven it blew like hell today at PI. Thanx to Godt I live close enough to just drive over there. I got there about 1:15...the first guy there due to the missing anemometer and utterly negative forecast. Rigged my brand spanking new 5.4, even though I knew better. More like 5.0 (and I weigh 200 lbs). Still, it was awesome.

I left about 4:00...I'm sure no more than 10 guys showed up total. So thanks Iwindsurf for your useless service. Mad
mad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Point Isabel really rocking - only 4 or so sailors Reply with quote

Yes Andy
I was there and sailed on a 4.5 all afternoon must have been one of the best sessions of the season. The swells on the outside were amazing - next best thing to wave sailing.
Pathetic service from I windsurf, basically you are on your own with forecasting Point Isabel - very sad when you "know" it is one of the best locations bar none in the whole bay area!
windfind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the forecast HEADLINE for Sunday:

VERY UP AND DOWN. Sherman near 20's late PM. Crissy low 20's. Pt. Isabel & Berkeley upper teens low 20's.

Read it the headline carefully and you will see it is not an "utterly negative" forecast for Pt. Isabel.

Personally, reading that headline and the included note that said "Watch the Pt. Potrero sensor. If it is steady and over 15 head head to Pt. Isabel." I would conclude that it might blow at Pt. Isabel. Sure it was stronger that the low 20's forecast. That is why you carry a quiver of sails.
andydavis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: actually the 11:00 am was utterly negative Reply with quote

Actually the 11:am was utterly negative, but then Mike overwrote it with the "12:30 update". I suppose I'm glad he updated his forecast, but really, WTF are we paying for? I don't see the value. Pt. Blunt and Pt Potrero reach are both NOAA anemometers. The forecasts are really just like a personal (and not very valuable) blog. We should start caching the forecasts for these EBay sites, just for kicks.

On a personal note, I would like to report that my new NP RS Slalom is frigging awesome!
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monku, monku, monku. No forecast is perfect and not having a sensor there is not Iwindsurf's fault.

"one of the best locations bar none in the whole bay area" If PI is so great, why do you need a forecast there? I would consider Sherman a great location and I sail there even if the forecast is negative. And upper teens to low 20's is not a negative forecast. At Sherman I just use the sensor and my experience with the weather conditions of the Sacramento area to determine what gear to bring.

If you live that close, then you even have less of a need for forecasting. For my local lake all I have to do is look out the window and see if the trees are moving and I can tell what size gear to bring based on how the trees are moving.

I just don't get this post. Complaining because the forecast was for wind and you showed up and there was none I can understand. But complaing because the forecast was for wind and you showed up and there was more or only 10 sailors out? You really want to sail in crowded conditions? It just doesn't make sense.

Coachg
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: forecast Reply with quote

C'mon already. How much complaining about the forecast can someone do? You live in the freakin Bay Area, the best urban/suburban windsurfing spot in the WORLD. It blows 20+ 100 days a year in a wide variety of spots around the region. The rest of the country is baking in humidity and heat.

Wake up, have a cup of Peets , look out the window of your overpriced home and go to your favorite spot! DONT look at iwindsurf.com and go"oh geez , Mike said its only going blow 19-21 at Pt IZZY, I need 22-23 to use my new EZZY, man oh man , he stinks".
GO rip it up and enjoy, stop bitchin!
andydavis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: forecast Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
...Wake up, have a cup of Peets , look out the...

I had the large coffee afterwards at the SPA Peet's -- very nutritious! If we're not complaining, how do we know we're alive? Okay right, maybe I can just drive over there and check it out...and I do, but how 'bout the many who can't. Last year, with the sensor working, there would have been 30+ people there.

Sensor: Obviously, Iwindsurf can do something about the sensor...they could put a temporary one on top of the coffee shop, or even COSTCO. It might not be as good as one by the radio tower or the sewage plant, but it would be something. They are just too lazy and weak to do it.

Wind forecasts: It's not the complete failure that bothers me, it's that we're paying for it. I don't mind if someone wants to post their "forecast" on their personal blog. However (amazingly) these people are being paid for their efforts! My point is it's better to just have the wind reports, than post (and make us pay for) erroneous information. Maybe I can look out the window and decide for myself, but what about the guy in San Ramon (wherever that is...it's just a place I've heard of Wink ) who didn't come yesterday because of the forecast? What about that guy?

Last edited by andydavis on Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:52 am; edited 2 times in total
jse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed Larkspur yesterday. 4.5 powered up inside and out. Flat to choppy water. Had I known PI was blowing, I would have gone there instead. PI is a huge sailing area, and in all my years sailing there I never experienced the sensation of "sailing in a crowd". Today I'll pay the 4 bucks to cross the bridge and check it out before I opt for another day at Larkspur looking for ramps.

I think IWindsurf owes it to us, their paying customers, to send a warm body up to the bay area and negociate a new home for the sensor. I mean, how hard can that be? "Shut down by OSHA" to me is just a cop-out for "It's too expensive to fix." C'mon IW - FIX THE DAMN SENSOR!!!

Steve
rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: berkeley ripped too Reply with quote

Berkeley ripped yesterday too. The sensor there reads high by about 4-5 knots but lots of fun had by all. It was blowing 20 by noon and foggy in the city. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the East Bay was the call.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY Coach G! 894 posts on the forum....what do you do for a living?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: