myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Delta wind forecast 7/3-7/7--help from locals, please!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bad_dolphin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Delta wind forecast 7/3-7/7--help from locals, please! Reply with quote

We're in Rio Vista having a great time, watching the predicted warming trend accompanied by INCREASING breeze over the past 3 days. We have friends in SoCal wondering whether to make the long drive up for the 4th through the 7th? Can we get some local input--will the predicted warming trend kill the breeze in the Delta, or will we continue to see a warming trend with wind?
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm local. I live in the SF Bay area and make the trek to Sherman frequently during the summer. IF it heats up in the bay area (like the forecast says it will) then that should kill the wind in the delta. If it's hot in the bay area (no fog/marine layer) then there won't be a pressure gradient between SF and Sac. But there are other variables invovled, so this isn't 100%.

But I sure wouldn't drive all the way up here with the heat wave forecast coming......
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Delta Reply with quote

I 2nd John's rap. With 100+ days coming Tues-Fri, the delta will be hot and stinky, no wind. But the end of a heat wave is the beginning of a FOG surge, so Fri could be a start.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hauser,
I moved this here from General. I live in Sacramento and Sherman is my regular spot to sail. Yes, I would expect little wind until maybe Friday evening. But hey, if your buds are Socal sailors, just tell them to bring their regular gear and they will feel right at home. Just kidding.

The best option for me when it heats up like this is to head to the mountains. It seems like Tahoe, Donner, Bocca and Stampede blow better when it is hot in the valley. I'm not sure why but it may have something to do with the warmer air drawing the cooler air from the surrounding mountains.

Coachg
dlester

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forcasters have been predicting this "coming hot spell" for the last three or four days and "the wind" doesn't seem to be listening. I've been waiting for it to back off so I could take a break and get some house work done, but noooo, it's blowing 20 again this morning---dang ! Have your friends come up and if the wind does quit in the delta there's a good chance there will be wind in the bay.
csorens

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. I elected not to go to Sherman yesterday due to the onset of the "heat wave", but it just keeps getting held off. Of course it ripped as soon as I decided not to go and stay around and do housework. There was no Small Craft advisory and the weather channel/NWS websites had no inkling of decent wind. Why do they have to predict these things so early on is my question. It psychologically sets you up to avoid sailing. It's good this morning, so I'm scratching my head about the forecasting again!
tsokat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can never TOTALLY rule out Sherman even when things really heat up for at least a dawn patrol session (see, i.e, this morning's graph), but, Coach is right, it doesn't look promising for the next few days. And I wouldn't want to drive up from SoCal just to sit out there wait and hope. But if you and your friends have flexibility and don't mind doing some driving, there will be wind to be found somewhere in the Marin to Santa Cruz to Sherman Island triangle. Have a great 4th!
Tom
vadler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot days as forecasted mean Treasure Island. Too bad we can't sail there. Sad
landis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Pleasanton. When the heat waves come, the fog is gone when I look out towards the north in the evening / morning ... and no Rio wind. As soon as I see fog coming through the 580 corridor in the evening, its Rio daze again. If the forecasted high is >90 in Pleasanton it doesnt blow, <90F it typically blows until Labor Day.
bad_dolphin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: thanks to local sailors Reply with quote

Thank you all for your help. We've had a fantastic time here/ With midday day ebbs for the last couple of days, we've been able to sail all day long! Our friends are coming up--we all know that it's so beautiful here, a couple of days of no wind is OK, too. Thanks again for everybody's input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: