myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gopro Hero 3 wrist cams
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Epenrose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Gopro Hero 3 wrist cams Reply with quote

Purchased a GoPo Hero wrist camera.

Have a 2 gig card and 54 mins of movie record time.

Sailed under the bridge for 2 hrs yesterday and hardly noticed having it on my wrist.

Anyone else using one? Tips, mount on mast? Best angles?

Wanted to test as will use on the coast mid wek when swell arrives.

FYI - $135 on amazon + $22 for 2 gig card, arrived in two days. Will probably spend another $1,000, 000 on batteries!
jse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's a few samples from the GoPro on a helmet mount. I compressed them in QuicktimePro, but the quality is still pretty good. The website doesn't stream, so just wait for the files to download and they will play. One is without sound the other (the wipeout) is with sound. Both were filmed on 4.0+ days one in the Gorge and the other at Bullhead Flats in San Rafael, CA.

http://www.copperlineinc.com/ws/rowena2.MOV

http://www.copperlineinc.com/ws/Bullhead1.MOV

Note: The only good equipment mount is on the booms facing straight down, so you're filming your feet. Otherwise, the image is tilted at an impossible angle and needs to be rotated for viewing. So I made an artificial "Wrist" and mounted it on my gath helment with shoe glue. It works great that way, you don't notice how level with the horizon your head is.

Steve
sergem

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive - did you hit a mine in second one Smile

It seems Gopro Hero has a rolling shutter (the dancing distortions). I wonder if deshaker plugin for virtualdub would be able to fix that (didn't try that, but there is a "rolling shutter" setting).
jse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergem wrote:
Impressive - did you hit a mine in second one Smile

It seems Gopro Hero has a rolling shutter (the dancing distortions). I wonder if deshaker plugin for virtualdub would be able to fix that (didn't try that, but there is a "rolling shutter" setting).

Felt like it. But I was just getting started. At Bullhead, when it blows like that, it just gets stronger and stronger as you get away from shore. I hit a bump, my harness unhooked and a gust ripped the sail right out of my hands.

What's a rolling shutter? I notice some strangeness, like distortion on some videos I've taken.

Steve
mogunn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Gopro Hero 3 wrist cams Reply with quote

Epenrose wrote:
Anyone else using one? Tips, mount on mast? Best angles?

Ed, check out this link for some GoPro mounting suggestions

mo
sergem

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:
What's a rolling shutter? I notice some strangeness, like distortion on some videos I've taken.

Usually, you get all lines in the video frame taken at the same time, i.e. each frame is normal photograph, just taken at different points of time.

In case of rolling shutter, even within one frame, each line is taken at slightly different moment of time. Simple test is to film some vertical feature, like a pole and then move camera to the side. You will see a diagonal pole. as a result.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo:

Very kind, terrific post.

Much appreciate the replies.

Also found out not to use regular batteries, they last about 5 mins!
zlowman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: go pro 3 Reply with quote

Go to my friend giampaolo cammarota Blog here on Maui, and this man is the Last word on how to use mount and reviews of this awesome unit

http://www.mauisurfreport.blogspot.com

Alohas from haiku
Epenrose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zlowman

Sweet, nice site.

Thanks so much.

I am messing with the cam, tried the mast mount and better but wrong position.

I sailed the coast wed and some nice waves but had the cam too far over so missed the bottom turns and decent size waves, guess bro's will just have to believe they were logo high high versus over ankle.....

The helmet seems to be the way.

Thx again
hahn2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Oregon Scientific ATC2K Reply with quote

Before running out and purchasing the GoPro Hero, check out the ATC2K from Oregon Scientific: http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=9&scid=20&pid=771

It's a flashlight-shaped waterproof video camera that comes with a couple mounting accessories for $129 ($169 with 2GB SD card). I bought one a while ago, but can't start playing with it until I finish my taxes...

atc2k.jpg
 Description:
Oregon Scientific ATC2K
 Filesize:  15.51 KB
 Viewed:  19133 Time(s)

atc2k.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: