myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Do you think Kiters and Boarders can share The Hatch Safely?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pacspeed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im guessing there is an inherent assumption of risk while windsurfing or Kiting. It happens all the time in yacht racing, and the bottom line is everybody is participating in a sport, and its clear to any reasonable person that there is a high risk of collision, damage, or injury. Nobody is going to be charged with a felony for crashing into another sailor.

I was out during the 4th of July madhouse in the corridor. I had 3 near misses, one a noobie who dumped her whole rig right in front of me when we were both blasting close reach port tack, another a guy jibing down onto me without looking, and a third just a case of too much traffic converging at the same time. The one thing all had in common: they were on sailboards, not kites.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pacspeed wrote:
Im guessing there is an inherent assumption of risk while windsurfing or Kiting. It happens all the time in yacht racing, and the bottom line is everybody is participating in a sport, and its clear to any reasonable person that there is a high risk of collision, damage, or injury. Nobody is going to be charged with a felony for crashing into another sailor.

I was out during the 4th of July madhouse in the corridor. I had 3 near misses, one a noobie who dumped her whole rig right in front of me when we were both blasting close reach port tack, another a guy jibing down onto me without looking, and a third just a case of too much traffic converging at the same time. The one thing all had in common: they were on sailboards, not kites.

The risk of collision on highways is probably greater, but that doesn't keep drivers who lose control of their vehicles out of courts and jail, and maritime law is generally tougher than other codes. I would not want to land on and injure someone smart enough to call the police and a lawyer. Your guesses mean little to the jury adjudicating a case of some "kook" launching big air in a crowd, and I am certain they would not prevail in the more serious case I mentioned above.

\m/
GarryW

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so kiters and windsurfers can share The Hatchery but I'm sorry, if it's nukining and guys are on 3.3s the last thing I want to worry about is a kiter. Yesterday there was a kiter out there in the mix on a tiny kite and if you ask me that was dangerous for both us and him. Thanks for letting me vent.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gracie wrote:
our courts have better things to do, most probably thrown out for frivilous nature, you failed to mention element of intent

No, I didn't. "accidental" = unintentional, thus "only" a Class B felony. The guy I watched assault people 10-15 times was committing a Class A felony each time. While unlikely to get maximum sentence, people need to understand that the law and the courts prosecute reckless endangerment and assault every day. You'll understand that our country is governed by Rule of Law by the time you're old enough to vote. Our right to be a kook ends at the next guy's nose.

\m/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GarryW wrote:
OK so kiters and windsurfers can share The Hatchery but I'm sorry, if it's nukining and guys are on 3.3s the last thing I want to worry about is a kiter. Yesterday there was a kiter out there in the mix on a tiny kite and if you ask me that was dangerous for both us and him. Thanks for letting me vent.

I gotta admit that a good kiter is impressive when it's full on. We have one or two guys who kite when windsurfers are on 2.8s, and their nosebleed jumps are impressive! However, they stay downwind of everybody else so they can cut loose without endangering anyone else.

\m/
pacspeed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gracie wrote:
our courts have better things to do, most probably thrown out for frivilous nature, you failed to mention element of intent, isobar needs to be hauled into "kook"court

He was already tried and convicted in another jurisdiction: rec.windsurfing.

Unfortunately, like paedophiles and drunk drivers, recidivism among kooks is high. After all, a leopard can't change his spots.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pacspeed wrote:
He was already tried and convicted in another jurisdiction: rec.windsurfing. Unfortunately, like paedophiles and drunk drivers, recidivism among kooks is high. After all, a leopard can't change his spots.

Convicted of what?

\m/
SamD0g

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read this thread all the way through. Gracie, you are way too hostile. Chill, Girl. Cool
updraft

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by updraft on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
4rest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you are out for blood, I understand being angry cause something doesn't go your way and its easy to place blame on kiters. I think some of the opinions here are due to lack of education about kiting. Thanks to those of you who know how to share.

First, kiters who make it to the hatch from the downwind launch have already proved their at least competent in riding and turning. It's a lot of work to get up there from the Sandbar and it's not something a beginner can do. I don't know any kiters who actually launch from the hatch, its at least not documented anywhere I've seen as a possibility.

Second, Kiters raise their sails when other water users are passing down wind of them to the point of the kite being straight above their head and loosing all speed. Most kiters know when they can and can't make it upwind of another kiter/WS. If you see a kiter lean back you know they're going to try and make it upwind of you, if you see them lean forward they're going to try and make it down wind of you. Pretty common practice and most kiters can share a relatively small space.

Third, if a kiter crashes his kite on you and you get tangled you should consider this worst case scenario and consider cutting the lines if you can't get them off you. Fortunately, lines under load are straight and do not wrap around anything. You will most likely be fine but your mast will probably take the worst hit. If the kiter doesn't write you a check, looks like you're the owner of a new kite, take lessons. Smile If the situation is bad enough you probably won't have time to react. Ditched WS gear can destroy people too. The risk is always there.

Jumping is one of the first skills a kiter will learn and most kiters know how much room they need and would never think of jumping with anyone down wind of them. It's pretty common practice to get downwind of another kiter by doing a quick jump so don't freak if a kiter does this. Though, I can't see the point of doing all that hard work to get up to where the swell is so good and then spending all your time 30 feet above the water...

A beginner kiter can be spotted a mile away with their stink-bug ass out stance.

I'm curious about confirmation of Isobar's report of a kiter killing a windsurfer. Can anyone confirm this?

Also curious about the report of a kiter harassing people at the Hatch on Sunday. Can anyone confirm this as well?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: