myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Do you think Kiters and Boarders can share The Hatch Safely?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gracie wrote:
if you can't stand the heat go sail @ bingen marina, the river belongs to all, if all riders are aware and respectful there shouldn't be a problem

The problem, Gracie, is the people who don't fit your description.

\m/
billgfc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why some kiters insist on being close to windsurfers is beyond me. If kiting, the last thing I want is to be where windsurfers are, soo dumb!

reminds me of my boy scout merit badge on kiting: Don t kite in a crowed beach or picnic area where your kite could fall and hurt someone.

duhhh!

that said when sailing, no incidents with kiters while sailing, overall quite polite
tetiaroaxx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by tetiaroaxx on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
billgfc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gracie:)

If I am a hot shot kiter , the last thing I want is to be around a bunch of windsurfers or other water craft. If you really go for it , you need space.

In the same way have no desire to throw a javelin or shotput in the middle of a picnic area, much less launch a kite.

kite gear is light and so easy, you really do not need an exotic launch sute.
Plus the water between the hatch and swell just sucks compared to going way upwind or down.

It is same near event site, more kiters sail in middle of windsurfers when the area below the sandbar to the bridge is empty (there is some great wind and swell down there on WA side/

kiting is such a hot sport, fail to understand the insistence to increase clutter
ascott72

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a kiter take big air and hit a windsurfer's mast on the way down at the Hatchery - and this was on an uncrowded day. No damage but I can understand the concern.

And I suppose the thinking goes something like this:
1) windsurfers were there first so they have some kind of priority
2) the danger zone around a windsurfer is much smaller compared to a kiter, a mast and a half distance instead of long kite lines, meaning more people can safely use the same area
3) windsurfers take smaller jumps and have more control in the air.

That being said, nobody owns the river. We all have to get along. So everybody use common sense while on the water.
minstigate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did everyone miss the obvious point? Kiters are little kitty killing jerk offs:) That said, we have a list of kiters that are allowed at the hatch. Mike and Josh, the two kiters referred to in this post are both on the list. I carry this list with me in my briefcase at all times. If you want access to this list, or if you're a kiter and want to get on the list, let me know. I'll see what I can do.

Believe it or not, there actually is a list of acceptable kiters for the Hatchery that most locals have memorized. Being on the list means that you won't get any stink eye for kiting there, and that if anyone there gives you shit, the real locals (who's business it actually is) will help you deal with them.

Mike, Josh, don't worry about these guys. I know you're a little whippersnapper Josh, so if these guys try to beat you up, just run away, we'll protect you later. Others that won't need to worry are Mikeeee, and Zach. If you're a kiter and not one of these four, and you're not that one guy with grey hair that's also cool to kite there, then make sure to check with these fine young (old in Mike's case, sorry but we don't wanna deceive anyone) kiters about norms to keep in mind.

Windsurfers, these are kiters you can feel comfortable with.

And that is the best way to deal with it. Let the people there everyday kick out the bad apples (windsurfers and kiters). Let's NOT make any stupid rules here.
minstigate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Gracie, as in "four legs bad, two legs good. Remember Comrade." It's that easy, and it's the only way it'll work.
katosandog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have enough experience sailing around kiters to feel comfortable with their abilities. I'm trying to decide if sailing under somebody's lines is dangerous - they do it with one another all the time. Has anybody ever been hit by lines on the water??

The big thing for me is that I don't see kiters on the water until the last second and I can't tell which direction they are going. I guess that will change with time.

And like somebody said, why are some kiters so keen to sail in my "space"? Kites take a huge part of the river - please leave me some.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katosandog wrote:
I'm trying to decide if sailing under somebody's lines is dangerous - they do it with one another all the time. Has anybody ever been hit by lines on the water??

Of course it's risky, but what ya gonna do . . . not sail? Nope; you just go sailing, and when somebody -- a boat, a WSer, a kiter -- loses control of his toy and harms you), you have him arrested and prosecuted, then sue his ass when the law is through with him. That one will think three times about doing it again, and his peers will think at least once about it. And, yes, at least one person has been killed by an expert kiter.

I've seen (from shore) kiters do far worse., but my most obnoxious on-the-water experience was a WSer who tried to bluff me out of his way as he approached me (I was in a beam reach) from behind and below. He was a ranked World Cup racerhed ripping upwind on his race gear who forgot one thing and allllllmost forgot another:
1. Al the ego and bluster in the world don't mean squat if your target doesn't even know you're there as you sneak up from behind.
2. Don't deliberately centerpunch anyone.
And, oh yes . . . don't let your World Cup race board tangle with a bomb-proof polyester board.

In the space of one or two seconds, I saw his board nose appear beneath my downwind elbow, heard him swear, and heard his yard sale as he crashed.

What goes around, comes around. Many people have complained to his sponsor about his behavior, and this time it bit him.

\m/
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gracie wrote:
can you be sued for being a kook?

It doesn't require a suit; any suit would just be icing on the cake. Your "kooky" is the law's Class B or Class A felony. Accidentally landing a jump on another person could get you 10 years in prison + $20k + the personal injury verdict, and I've witnessed behavior on the river that you seem to dismiss as "kooky" for which the sentence can be as high as life in prison + a fine of hundreds of thousands of dollars before you even think about personal injury lawsuits. And that's not even taking into account any breach of maritime law.

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: