myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Do you think Kiters and Boarders can share The Hatch Safely?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rowenaman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tweeky said:

Quote:
But it all comes down to attitude. If people are friendly and considerate, the session will be fine. If people are launching with "the 'tude", then it can be miserable for everyone, regardless of numbers, or if they are kiteboarders or windsurfers.

I think the above quote sums up the best answer on this thread - for both on the water (or in a wind forum). There is tons of room for both pursuits all over the river --- my post referred to The Hatch jibeatorium in particular.

It seems even asking the question brings out a little "roid rage."

We all are having fun afterall eh? Happy kiteboarding/windsurfing! Laughing Cool
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When "jet skis" (PWC) moved into the Hatchery a decade ago, the Sheriff's boat moved into the east Hatchery cove to observe. Even though the PWC riders were careful to give sailors ROW, usually staying downwind of us and mixing with us only rarely and carefully, the Sheriff finally ran them off simply because big, heavy, fast machines traveling east and west, no matter how careful they were, were a dangerous mix with soft bodies and bobbing heads. It wouldn't surprise me if the second or third time some high-flying kite lands on somebody else, they get sent elsewhere. Anybody flying 20-50 feet high obviously threatens more others, and the string-induced hang time kites have leaves more time for someone to innocently sail into their flight path. And guess who goes to jail and loses the law suit? (Hint: it ain't the sailor who got landed upon.)

As for it being easier to see a kitesailor in the swell . . . it's just the opposite. A WSer is 13-15 feet tall and (if he's smart) brightly colored, while a kiter is only six feet tall and usually black. The former is almost infinitely more visible.

And since the average good kiter can't ride swell anyway, I don't even understand why they'd want to clog up the Columbia's rare swell any more than would slalomhedz who just try to mow it down rather than actually use it. If they're expert enough to actually use the swell to their advantage, fine . . . have at it. If it's simply a turf war, grow up.

\m/
angus44

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a really big river. There is plenty of room for all, both kiting & sailing at the hatch, although if I kited I'm not sure I would want to kite there. When the hatch is packed or mostly packed, room on the water is limited mostly due to tons of sailors. It's really simple on a good wind day to sail east or west of the hatchery front/jibetorium. Some of my favorite sailing sessions have been in really good swell down off of Wells Island to the White Salmon bridge with 6 kiters & 6 sailors in the same area of water that 200 folks use in front of the hatch. It's not a bad trip back either if you're powered up. It can be fun to venture a bit away from where you launch.
spamitt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

share the Hatch ... you bet....I like to sail rreeaally closely , just down wind of kiters...its a ton of fun... kiter must de power or chicken jib to avoid tangling their lines in my sail...I consider this an advanced move , and not for the faint of heart...if kiter shows skill at avoiding my idiotic move i assume they have the skill nescasary to mix it up at one of my fav. sites
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

angus44 wrote:
It's a really big river. There is plenty of room for all, both kiting & sailing at the hatch . . . When the hatch is packed or mostly packed, room on the water is limited mostly due to tons of sailors.

It's really simple on a good wind day to sail east or west of the hatchery

Well, which is it . . . plenty of room or limited room?

Ooh. ooh . . . I know; it's a freaking zoo so damned crowded in prime season that yer every move depends on four other people getting the hell out of the way, which means their every move must also be subjugated to the next four people, etc., until the ripple effect dissipates west of Swell or east of the Hatchery Building. Sure, we can go up past Swell or east of the buoy, but the swell is best right in the crowd.

Wonder why?

Ooh, ooh . . . I know; everbuddy else likes the swell, too.

Fancy that!

And developers and the Gorge Commission will triple the potential crowd if we don't manage to stop them.

\m/ [/b]
eanders

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly right.... the real war is for the good swell and the best jibe/trick zone. Now.... everybody get out of my way! And, we will all be fine!!!!

I come from central California, and there it's the same fight at the wave spots. So, it shouldn't be a suprise that as more folks come to the gorge, the more un-friendly the best spots become... we can try to be friendly... but eventually you reach critical mass and it all breaks down....

I just thinks its best if we can consider limiting the potential for high anxiety. The parking lot at the Hatch seems to put a limit on number of sailors.... when they put a 250 room resort across the street, that is going to push it over the limit..... it's going to get ugly...

Kiters who are good enough to sail the hatch, for the most part, seem to mind their manners.... I agree, if they are launching air in the jibe zone, that is too dangerous on a crowded day, when at any given time there are three sailores laying out a trick, three more in the water after a fall, and two launching off the point.... no one wants to land on anybody... but, as it gets busier.... we may all have to back off....
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eanders wrote:
as more folks come to the gorge, the more un-friendly the best spots become... we can try to be friendly... but eventually you reach critical mass and it all breaks down....

Kiters who are good enough to sail the hatch, for the most part, seem to mind their manners . . . as it gets busier.... we may all have to back off....

I've seen few unfriendly acts on the water (but, then, I avoid Kodak Point after after about 6:00 AM). The problem is simply one too many freaking people in one small spot. When yer path is determined not by free choice but by moving obstacles, it's time to back off or move on. I usually choose the latter if the wind allows any choice. I wouldn't sail the Hatchery this particular week if it were the only wind this side of Baja . . . which it may be; I hate it when I have to abort several moves per reach just because of crowds.

Didja hear about the trillion-gallon, radioactive, flammable, floating raw sewage spill at Hanford's leper colony yesterday? I's expected to light up the night sky in the corridor by mid-week. Just one cigarette, match, or bottle rocket, and . . .

\m/
robgray

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to take grandpa's keys
repooc99

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Oh My Gosh!! Reply with quote

Didja hear about the trillion-gallon, radioactive, flammable, floating raw sewage spill at Hanford's leper colony yesterday? I's expected to light up the night sky in the corridor by mid-week. Just one cigarette, match, or bottle rocket, and . . .

\m/[/quote]

Share, be nice and above all else treat others as you would like to be treated!! Idea
2bluehawaiins

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: kiters are just showing off at the point! Reply with quote

How can you say share when the kiters are getting big air with not much control as to where they land ! Last year I almost got landed on by a kiter up near cheap beach . The guy was getting the biggest air I've seen anyone get . He was good but I wasn't looking 35" ft up in the air,I was watching the other sailers in front of me and behind me . I think theres plenty of river they don't need to sail at the point and show of!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: