myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Windsurfing Videos Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wind Sensor Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faradroka1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Wind Sensor Question Reply with quote

Here in the East Bay of San Francisco, we have an issue with a downed sensor at Pt. Isabel. I wondered if any other regions, communities have had similar issues. You can see the thread at

http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=12365

I support iWindsurf, have suggested to many windsurfers/kiteboarders that they purchase subscriptions (especially when they've asked me to go online and check the sensors for them), and want them to continue offering great service. I wonder if setting up a new sensor is too costly, if manpower is an issue, if its politics or phase of the moon.

Maybe the windsurf community can give us feedback on whether we are being too picky or whether this is a valid issue. Many of us here use (or would use) the Pt. Isabel site as frequently as Berkeley, 3rd Ave and the other local sites, its a great resource and we'd like a better (ie: more valid wind readings) sensor. Its easy to say we want a better sensor position, or suggest putting one out on a platform, we just don't know the logistics or finances behind such requests.

Bottom line is, should we continue to complain and ask for better service at this site, or are we just wasting our time? Is it valid to ask for a better sensor position or are we stuck with whatever exists when we joined iWindsurf? Anyone seen sensors moved to better positions? Any ideas on the cost of setting up the sensors?
wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am starting to get upset. I pay the same as you guys. We have only one sensor in our whole region of the state. It has been down for months!!!

One freakin sensor (down), no human reviewed forecast, and no fix in the foreseeable future. Mad

Austin,TX
jpf18

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Wind Sensor Question Reply with quote

faradroka1 wrote:
I wondered if any other regions, communities have had similar issues.
Over here in Tidewater (Southern VA & Hatteras) we have an engineer-windsurfer who works part time/hourly for weatherflow fixing sensors and installing new ones. We are probably not typical, because at least some of the sensors receive in-part funding from a third party. That "the man" at weatherflow, Jay T. , lives in our area probably helps as well. Back to the engineer-windsurfer - this might be a model for other regions however. He's a veteran windsurfer, connected to both the windsurfing and kiteboarding communities. He keeps us updated about what's going on with the sensors. It's so much different if you can put a friendly face to the service (read liason). Just ask on the beach, call, send an email and you're getting updated about the state of repairs, future plans, landlord problems etc. etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: