myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WIND AT THE GORGE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WAVEDAVE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: WIND AT THE GORGE Reply with quote

ANYONE HAVE IMPUT ON THE CONDITIONS OUT THERE LATELY . I AM A LITTLE CONCERNED IN WHAT I HAVE BEEN SEEING FOR THE UPCOMING WEEK. I ONLY HAVE FROM JUNE 29 TO THE FOLLOWING SATURDAY I NEEEEEEEEEEED WINDDDDDD Question
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that one day or eight you're talking about?
Are you driving 40 miles or 1,000?
Will 15 kts float your boat?

I've been laid up with an injured knee for about 5 weeks now, and am happy (from my perspective) to report that I think I picked a good year to get hurt during what should be our prime time out east. And even when the desert hit triple digits for nearly a week weeks ago, Portland also warmed up so not much happened in the corridor. I've missed a few very good days such as 8-9 days ago, but by and large it's been a weak year.

Of course, that means squat for anything beyond about Wednesday.

\m/
hilton08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Windfest Weekend Reply with quote

I would have zero faith in any wind forecast more than 3 days in advance. However, it is peak season for Gorge winds, so judging from past years, the odds are extremely good for wind this time of year. Let's just hope we don't suffer from the curse of windfest (like last year). Even if we get a few windless days, there will still be lots of events and activities to keep you entertained in Hood River or the option of sailing/surfing the Oregon coast. Plus it always nukes at least one day over the July 4 holiday. Check out the wind graph for Dougs on July 6 2006.
advgeek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Windfest Weekend Reply with quote

hilton08 wrote:
Check out the wind graph for Dougs on July 6 2006.

Man that day at Doug's is still etched in my mind. 3.7 downhauled to the max and completely wound up ... and I weigh 240lbs. Some kook from back east on vacation went out on a 4.2 ("Because a 3.5 is for hurricane sailing") and came back after one reach looking white and shaking in fear.
Shocked

Anyway, this year has been cold with lots of up and down days, or days with a 3 hour surges of wind while the front moves through, there's still plenty of sailing to be had. Although my 6.6 has been getting a lot of use Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: