myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jacksonville, Florida Windsurfing Conditions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
logosz85

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Jacksonville, Florida Windsurfing Conditions Reply with quote

What are the windsurfing conditions around Jacksonville? Considering possible relocation to the area. Prefer bump/jump 85L board with max sail size of 6.0. Not sure if this is a good location for that sort of riding. Do you get these conditions once a week or once a month or once in a lifetime.
gk3540

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: windsurfing in jax Reply with quote

i have lived here 15 years. started windsurfing 13 yrs ago. pretty much gave it up in 1999 and began kiteboarding. i can kiteboard 100 days/year but was only windsurfing 30-40 days/year. there are a number of factors working against the windsurfers (onshore winds, shallow water, limited access to military base/jetty). i would rec you plan on buying some used kites (preferably mine) and learning to ride a smaller board!
logosz85

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that 30 to 40 days on an 85L board on 6.0 or smaller sails or garage door sized board with a spinnaker? I've seen too many guys almost get killed (no joke) on a kite to make the conversion. If it ain't blown hard enough for a sailboard that's why they make motor boats & fishing poles...
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florida sailing basically is light wind sailing.
w1nddawg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go down to Jax to visit my family several times a year. Usually when it is cold up North. I have hit some good days down there. There is a meter at Hugonot Park and you can look at the history on this meter. I looked and this week you could have sailed the 6.0 several days. Also you can sail year round in Florida. I think it is a pretty good area if you are willing to drive a little. We sailed at Ponce Inlet down state a little and this is good too.
Smile
Terryg11

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to live in St Augustine. You need to get bigger gear to sail regularly--I used to sail 3-4 times a week on 8.5 to 9.5. But, in fall thru early spring can sail 6.0 or smaller fairly regularly, if you don't mind the cold.
logosz85

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So 6 months out of the year you can sail a 6.0 and smaller and the rest of the year is for boating & fishing?

Also, what is the city like? Run down trailer trash, cookie cutter tract housing, Andy Griffith Mayberry, trailer trash next to McMansion next to basic box builder special or what. Fun town for the 30/40 crowd or a bunch of blue hair snow birds clogging up the roads with their Buick RoadMonsters and lining up for the early bird special.
Terryg11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, well to put it a different way...the best wind comes from *cold* fronts & in winter I do mean cold--in spring or fall not so bad, but they're weaker. The normal wind is afternoon thermals 8-18 knots; usually at the low end of that (8-12), check the IW sensors in St Augustine & Jax. Normal sail size is 7.0 -- 9.5 or bigger if you sail regularly, depending entirely on your weight. For me at 200 pounds it was almost always a 9.5 & 160 litre board. Kiters are often seen on 20 meter ++. In summer, T-storms often kill the thermals, but some folks will sail right up to till they start. Some of the wind that there is is west/offshore, & so totally unsailable in most locations.

To sum up: it's reliable Formula or kite wind, occasionally you'll get more than that, especially if you don't mind 38 degrees or something. Capiche?

As for blue hairs etc: depends where you're talking about exactly, but I sure wouldn't call Jax *fun* exactly...I'd say it's a mix of Ponte Vidre 'Benz driving socialites, real estate speculators in pink izod shirts, old Fl. crackers, military wives, an actual ghetto, and *miles and miles* of car dealerships -- about sums the town up.

BUT, there's still a lot of great nature there too--empty beaches north or south & OK surfing, great kayaking, sailing, hiking, cool wildlife (manatees, alligators) etc.
logosz85

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. So put the windsurf equipment away in the summer and launch the 29' Donzi sport fisher til the wind kicks back in. I'm used to sailing in 50 degree water with 50 degree air temps so I don't think the winter will be too bad down there, but maybe more consistent in the 20 knot range? Cold I can deal with but sub-20 knot for more than half the year is gonna suck. So can I at least count on the winter storms to blow me up some consistent wind for evening sesions and weekends on my 85L board with a 185Lb rider or do I still need a garage door sized board with a Schooner sized sail???
Terryg11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logosz85 wrote:
Ok. So put the windsurf equipment away in the summer and launch the 29' Donzi sport fisher til the wind kicks back in. I'm used to sailing in 50 degree water with 50 degree air temps so I don't think the winter will be too bad down there, but maybe more consistent in the 20 knot range? Cold I can deal with but sub-20 knot for more than half the year is gonna suck. So can I at least count on the winter storms to blow me up some consistent wind for evening sesions and weekends on my 85L board with a 185Lb rider or do I still need a garage door sized board with a Schooner sized sail???

You'll want a bigger board /sail too also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: