myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Event Site Rules (Breaking)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedRoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone was filming at the event site on Sunday during Windfest. If so the parking lot will be empty pretty soon if all the offending parties are banned. Even the great one was zipping in and out laying perfect jibes amongst the crowd! One thing that seems to be forgotten is that the posted rules are guidelines only, as the Hood River sherrif explained at the town hall meetings concerning the sandbar. It is not a controlled waterway so he has no jurisdiction and cannot ticket anyone. The mark that he placed in the water is a hazard warning buoy to advise mariners of potential danger and underwater obstructions. Common sense would dictate that if there is a crowd of people sailing to take it easy and keep a good lookout. Considering the reduction in sailing area this year everyone is using common sense and there have been no problems in the water. The only collision I have seen so far was among a group of friends and it all ended in laughter. There is plenty of room for everyone, come on down and enjoy the wind.
SpeedRoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone was filming at the event site on Sunday during Windfest. If so the parking lot will be empty pretty soon if all the offending parties are banned. Even the great one was zipping in and out laying perfect jibes amongst the crowd! One thing that seems to be forgotten is that the posted rules are guidelines only, as the Hood River sherrif explained at the town hall meetings concerning the sandbar. It is not a controlled waterway so he has no jurisdiction and cannot ticket anyone. The mark that he placed in the water is a hazard warning buoy to advise mariners of potential danger and underwater obstructions. Common sense would dictate that if there is a crowd of people sailing to take it easy and keep a good lookout. Considering the reduction in sailing area this year everyone is using common sense and there have been no problems in the water. The only collision I have seen so far was among a group of friends and it all ended in laughter. There is plenty of room for everyone, come on down and enjoy the wind.
minstigate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea katz, I understand. I was just whining about whining in general. I don't want anyone getting run into, but there's nothing good going on in these forums, just whining about water quality, people breaking rules, parking, and blah blah blah. And now, we're tattling on each other like little kids.

I'm ashamed to be a windsurfer because of this forum. Guidelines are great. Rules can work. But, tattlers should never be older than 10.
tweeky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan, I'd be very careful, VERY careful about how far you want to take something like this. While I'm not a lawyer, I think you could be opening yourself up to some real trouble if any people were banned from the Event Site because of your video.

I am a professional videographer, and can tell you that video can be highly subjective. Sure, you can have a video of someone ripping into the Event Site bay area, but video is a 2D image, and when you zoom in you distort perspective. Objects that are actually far apart can and usually do look much closer on video. Take a look at the America's Cup. There are shots of those boats where they look like they are about to collide, when in fact they are 100's of yards apart.

Someone could argue (in front of a civil court judge) that if you zoomed in at all during any of your shooting, you distorted the perspective and made the infraction look worse that in really was, and they would be right. I'm not even sure how legal it is. I don't think you're allowed to shoot a video where people can be identified without their permission, showing them in an unfavorable light. Remember, this isn't a "crime" you're filmming, just people not abiding by some guidelines set down by the Port. The makers of "Borat" had all kinds of problems with people suing because of the way they were portrayed in the film, and virtually all of those people CONSENTED to being filmed. The people you filmed did not.

Believe it or not, I'm NOT one of the guys on your video, because I don't rip into the Event Site bay (I don't even sail there all that much). I think the best way to handle this situation is to post signs, (which has been done) and then have someone like the campground host talk to people if necessary.
tetiaroaxx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by tetiaroaxx on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minstigate wrote:
tattlers should never be older than 10.

Reporting people doing something wrong is an honorable thing, an obligation to the victims, not "tattling". It goes along with the Golden Rule, Doing the Right Thing, and all those principles that help any society succeed.

And, yes, any image openly available to the public withut reasonable expectation of privacy, whether it's a bank robber's face or Britney's twat, is fair game.

\m/
katosandog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minstigate wrote:
yea katz, I understand. I was just whining about whining in general. I don't want anyone getting run into, but there's nothing good going on in these forums, just whining about water quality, people breaking rules, parking, and blah blah blah. And now, we're tattling on each other like little kids.

I'm ashamed to be a windsurfer because of this forum. Guidelines are great. Rules can work. But, tattlers should never be older than 10.

Great post - couldn't agree more. Every time somebody gets something good started, it morphs into a recess shoving match that ends with a kiter insulting a windsurfer or a windsurfer insulting a kiter.

I had an excellent time in the Gorge last week, met a bunch of great people, shared the same piece of swell as some astounding kiters, found a good place to park, ran my dog on the delta, and didn't get any oozing sores. I'm coming back as soon as I can. I NEED some of that butter right behind the jetty where the kids swim. ;>)
tweeky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="isobars"]
minstigate wrote:
And, yes, any image openly available to the public withut reasonable expectation of privacy, whether it's a bank robber's face or Britney's twat, is fair game.
\m/

It's not that simple, believe me. Intent is everything.

At the same time, I'm not advocating speeding in the Event Site bay. Just the opposite. I agree with what Isobars said in another thread, sometimes you just have to move on to another site if the wind allows for it. I've been at the Event Site with my wife last summer where we both just came in because it was just too nuts out there.

The good news is that the Event Site is a perfect beginners spot with the new sandbar.
minstigate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teiar, give me a break. I've been hit by a wave fin on a full plane. Maybe I'm no turkey or whatever you were testing with, but I'm definitely still in one piece. It was my friend, and we laughed about it. Should I have called the sheriff?

Also, I don't sail at the event site. It's too crowded and there's never any good wind. I won't get close to you either. I don't even wanna know you. In fact, from you're condescending little statement, I hope to never meet you. Yes, tattling is a little kids move. Yes, showing off is also a kids move. But at least, the show offs aren't whiny little wanna bes.

I hate democracy for this reason. Everyone gets to ruin everything for everone else. You guys videoing the rule breakers suck. Showing that to 'authorities' is much worse.

LISTEN CAREFULLY. The no plane zone is NOT A SAFETY MEASURE. It's a way to keep the kites away from the windsurfers at the Event Site. That's why Bruce proposed it. For years, those flashy showoff dudes that can jibe way better than you have been flying into that area. Did you ever get hit then? No. So, the rule couldn't have been to prevent something that wasn't happening. This rule was not for safety.

One more thing: those guys flying into that area have been windsurfing at the Event Site MUCH longer than any of you whiners. What makes you think you can come in and tell these guys what to do?

All the tattlers should go get some suspenders and pocket protectors. That way the port officials know who their little informers are.
minstigate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh an tweeky, I didn't write that. I agree with it, but I didn't write it. I thought the quotes were automatic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: